Why did Kai cut some "canon" scenes?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB1984
Banned

Why did Kai cut some "canon" scenes?

Post by DB1984 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:01 pm

I noticed some "canon" scenes were cut from edited and unedited versions of Dragon Ball Kai.

One of them took place early on, after Raditz takes away Gohan. Krillin and Master Roshi agree to aid Goku in getting his son back, and Krillin asks Bulma to summon Shenlong to wish him back, should anything happen to them. But Goku then reminds Krillin that Kami-sama said that they can't ask Shenlong to bring them back the second time, and that they had already been brought back by Shenlong once. The next time they die, it'll be permanent.

http://a.mhcdn.net/store/manga/214/14-1 ... 1377754623

I have no idea why Kai cut this scene out. It was in both the Manga and episode 3 of DBZ.

Bullza
Banned

Re: Why did Kai cut some "canon" scenes?

Post by Bullza » Mon May 25, 2015 6:02 pm

Now that you mention it there was a funny scene in the manga where Krillin says that Piccolo is gonna eat Gohan and Piccolo has a funny reaction to it and that also wasn't in Kai.

But I don't remember that being in DBZ either. Was it or not?
Last edited by Bullza on Mon May 25, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:11 pm

Bullza wrote:But I don't remember that being in DBZ either. Was it or not?
Yes, and it was even in the Ocean dubbed episodes, with Terry Klassen saying "You're just going to gobble him up!"

Also, there is a Kai section for Kai related discussion.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon May 25, 2015 6:54 pm

That's one of the interesting things about Kai 1.0. They cut out a lot of the bad but some of the good presumably to make footage fit a standard episode length. There are some anime only things they left in too like Krillin using a kienzan on Perfect Cell and the kienzan itself breaking in half. Personally I like the changes and consider Kai 1.0 to be canon.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:13 pm

TOEI (or at least the people who worked on the anime) is full of idiots.

They also removed the scene showing why Raditz was struggling to get out of Goku's full nelson, the scene that makes sense of Gohan's insane potential, the scene showing how the Z-Supporters found Goku and the others on the battlefield, a few bits of the argument between Gohan and Chi-Chi about Namek, and the drivers ed episode (which caused a minor plothole since Goku later has a car for some reason).

I'm sure there's more but I probably forgot them.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:50 am

I think of Kai as retelling of the Dragon Ball story rather than a straight adaptation of the manga. Every time you tell a story it changes a little bit; some things are removed and some things are added not for the sake of being accurate to the original, but to be more fluent or entertaining. You also have to remember that Kai 1.0's genesis was for Toei to make a buck off of film stock they already had in storage. The fact that we got a much more refined product with a story that was much closer to the manga is a miracle in of itself.