What phrases/opinions/things bring out your irate fanboy?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: What phrases/opinions/things bring out your irate fanboy

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed May 27, 2015 2:04 pm

jcogginsa wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
DemonRin wrote:use of FUNimation dub spellings. Most don't bother me, but "Frieza" and "Hercule" do.
I used to write Freeza with an i all the time. And then when I first came to Kanzenshuu it kept changed it and put an extra e, then I found out about the word filter and I decided no point fighting it and just spelt Freeza with two e's. Now I find myself correcting other people when they spell it with a i it just looks so weird now. Godammit Kanzenshuu :lol: The H-ercule thing though, as always bothered me even before I came to Kanzenshuu. Of all the things to censor for Satan they pick H-ercule?
They got it from the French dub (Where he was named such because Piccolo was already named satan)
Piccolo was named Satan in the French dub? Ahha. Did the Frech dub have any other oddities? I am really curious now.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed May 27, 2015 2:18 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Piccolo was named Satan in the French dub? Ahha. Did the Frech dub have any other oddities? I am really curious now.
He's actually names Satan Little Heart (literal translation), thanks to which we got the same name in Poland :lol:

Captain Sauza
Beyond Newbie

Post by Captain Sauza » Wed May 27, 2015 2:48 pm

When someone says Coola is the weakest of the Cold family. Started out with one super unnecessary FUNI dub filler line from Coola in Movie 5 and then that was expanded in DB Multiverse and I guess it stuck with people. Bugs me as far as DBZ conversations go.
"We are Cooler's Armored Squadron!" *performs Sauza fighting pose*

thefalseprophecy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thefalseprophecy » Wed May 27, 2015 2:55 pm

jcogginsa wrote:I've never heard it spoken that way (Though i've also never watched the japanese dub)
:cry: You really need to. It's AMAZING.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Wed May 27, 2015 2:58 pm

thefalseprophecy wrote:
jcogginsa wrote:I've never heard it spoken that way (Though i've also never watched the japanese dub)
:cry: You really need to. It's AMAZING.
i don't really make an effort to watch DBZ online and i don't have the money to buy DVDs. I just catch it when it airs on TV

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Wed May 27, 2015 3:08 pm

Most, if not all, of my irritations come from fan opinion on characters more so than how someone spells something or prefers the sub to the dub or vice versa:

"Krillin's weak and a coward! He sucks, his owned count is over 9000 and he dies ALL THE TIME!" Bravery once again, confused for power.
"What does a hottie like 18 see in a bald, noseless midget?" The answer is kindness.
The dead Yamcha meme and general insanely low opinion on him, including thinking he was the one who cheated out of him and Bulma despite all the past examples showing the opposite.
Power being the only thing that has any importance in a character's worth.
The general hate of Gohan for not being yet another meatheaded saiyan who trains everyday is kind of overblown. He's not meant to be.
The saiyan race in general being treated by the fanbase as noble heroic savages rather than the blood-thirsty genocidal monsters they actually were. Not every saiyan was like Goku, Gine, Tarble or even Bardock and Vegeta.
Broly's ultimate power being able to one shot Beerus, Whis and Gogeta combined. This still amazes me.

My ultimate dislike though? Gotta be...
The Hypocritical Vegeta fandom

This doesn't include ALL Vegeta fans, just to be clear, just the ones who refuse to see his faults and flaws through the Saiyan to Super Buu saga and treat him like he's some sort of heroic brave paragon of virtue who should be the main character of the show.

Examples:
Chiaoutzu blows himself up and fails to kill Nappa, a monster who aims to destroy the planet: Loser.
Vegeta blows himself up and fails to kill Majin Buu, a monster who aims to destroy the planet: Hero.

Raditz begs for his life when he realises he's vastly outclassed and he's going to die against Goku and Piccolo's combined abilities: Pathetic weakling.
Vegeta breaks down and cries when he realises he's vastly outclassed and he's going to die against Frieza: Tragic Victim.

Krillin doesn't deactivate Android 18 and kill her, thus prevent Cell from absorbing 18 and becoming Perfect due to a selfish desire to not see the girl he likes die: Idiot
Vegeta doesn't kill Semi Perfect Cell, thus preventing him from absorbing 18 and becoming Perfect due to a selfish desire to fight a stronger opponent: Noble Warrior.

Gohan gets one shotted by Frieza in RoF and loses not only his 'Mystic/Ultimate Power up', but also he isn't even sure he can turn SSJ: Gohan got screwed over! Serves him right for being so weak!
Vegeta dominates Frieza in a fight but Goku finishes him off in RoF and gains a HUGE power up that puts him on Goku's level: Vegeta was screwed over! Why does Toriyama hate him so much?
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed May 27, 2015 3:36 pm

I've noticed most of your negative posts, Akyon, seem to revolve around Vegeta. Is that a hate for the character or his obnoxious fanbase? :P

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:04 pm

Doctor. wrote:I've noticed most of your negative posts, Akyon, seem to revolve around Vegeta. Is that a hate for the character or his obnoxious fanbase? :P
Both, apparently.

Anyways, Vegeta's Kamikaze failed cuz of Majin Boo's haxed regeneration. Chaozu's failed cuz Chaozu was weak... he had no business being on the battlefield in the first place. I mean, you how little (none) effect his psychics abilities had on Nappa.

Oh and if you don't think people call Vegeta out on the Cell becoming perfect then you're way off.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:39 pm

Akyon wrote:
Oh man all of this. I'm also labelled a Vegeta hater even though I met Ryo Horikawa TWICE. My picture in Derek's Dragon Ball book will be me and Horikawa. I coulda used Kyle Hebert or Sean Schemmel if I wanted Goku or Gohan. But instead I wanted Vegeta's Seiyuu cause I respected him more.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 27, 2015 4:50 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Vegeta's Kamikaze failed cuz of Majin Boo's haxed regeneration.
If he would've avoided Buu's explosion he probably could've finished him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 27, 2015 4:53 pm

"Krillin's weak and a coward! He sucks, his owned count is over 9000 and he dies ALL THE TIME!" Bravery once again, confused for power.
This so bloody much. I despise and will always refute the idea that Krillin is a coward. He's one of the bravest and most dogged characters in the Dragon Ball universe. That bald headed bastard never knows when to quit or backdown. But just because he doesn't score a lot of major victories, he's seen a coward. Fuck that mentality six ways to sunday.
Vegeta was screwed over! Why does Toriyama hate him so much?
That's pretty much the automatic response from the Vegeta fandom anytime he doesn't kill a main villain by himself.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed May 27, 2015 4:55 pm

People see Kuririn as a coward because he and Tenshinhan in part 2 normally go together and Tenshinhan is generally the braver of the two.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Wed May 27, 2015 5:04 pm

Doctor. wrote:I've noticed most of your negative posts, Akyon, seem to revolve around Vegeta. Is that a hate for the character or his obnoxious fanbase? :P
I got to say, I actually genuinely quite like Vegeta as a character, albeit he's not one of my absolute favourites, I just don't get on with THAT kind of Vegeta fan.

Heck, I at one point really enjoyed his character arc but I'll admit my opinion of the character was somewhat sullied by the Vegeta fans who hate every other character nor admit he has flaws. I think personality flaws make him a better character.
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Oh and if you don't think people call Vegeta out on the Cell becoming perfect then you're way off.
That does seem to be the case on Kanzenshuu, but seemingly not everywhere else measures characters with the same stick.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:14 pm

Krillin visibly displays his fear countless times, even if he ends up swallowing it and charges in anyways. He's brave, but that blatant fearfulness is probably why people call him a coward. E.g. When Android 17 approaches him, when the others fight the Androids and 18 kisses him, when Trunks is going USSJ, when he decides he has no place fighting Babidi alongside everyone, etc. Combine that with the amount of times he gets owned, his playful nature, and the fact that he was unlucky with girls for a while, and... that's where fans get their opinion of him.

Vegeta, on the other hand, screams out "'MURICA" for US fans. Epitome of badassery by being an asshole, arrogant, not following the rules, getting his ways a lot of times, stealing a guy's chick, and being incredibly strong. He's so delusional, he never stops trying even when it's clear he's outmatched (no, don't mention BoG or Faff). People wish he beat a major villain because not only is he clearly more popular than the majority of the cast, but he's also stronger than them too. Dude's had his redemption and is now on equal footing with Goku (both in power and as a co-protagonist), so it only makes sense.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Wed May 27, 2015 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed May 27, 2015 5:17 pm

I feel like Piccolo is the one who screams out "MURICA" the most. Cold, arrogant, silent badass who everyone seems to think is a good father figure compared to Goku... even though he threw Gohan into a mountain first time they spoke; someone the american hipster-ey DB fans like to rely upon and bash Vegeta.

I really, really hate when people try to say Piccolo's a better "father" than Goku. Sure, it looks like he's a good father figure for Pan in RF, but that's about it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 27, 2015 5:22 pm

Doctor. wrote:People see Kuririn as a coward because he and Tenshinhan in part 2 normally go together and Tenshinhan is generally the braver of the two.
What? :wtf:

Krillin was the one who suggested that they go to a foreign alien planet (Namek) in the first place and when on Namek, and even outmatched, he never backed down from anyone. The only times Tien showed bravery in Z was taking on Cell and taking on #17. Do those two moments outweigh every other moment of bravery and courage from Krillin throughout the series in the eyes of fans? Did Krillin do virtually nothing prior the androids appearing their eyes?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed May 27, 2015 5:23 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:People see Kuririn as a coward because he and Tenshinhan in part 2 normally go together and Tenshinhan is generally the braver of the two.

Krillin was the one who suggested that they go to a foreign alien planet (Namek) in the first place and when on Namek, and even outmatched, he never backed down from anyone. The only times Tenshinhan showed bravery in Z was taking on Cell and taking on #17. Do those two moments outweigh every other moment of bravery and courage from Krillin throughout the series in the eyes of fans? Did Krillin do virtually nothing prior the androids appearing their eyes?
I'm not denying Kuririn is brave and did brave actions, but Kuririn is visibly shown much, much more frightened much more often than Tenshinhan is, this is a fact.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:29 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:

Krillin was the one who suggested that they go to a foreign alien planet (Namek) in the first place and when on Namek, and even outmatched, he never backed down from anyone. The only times Tenshinhan showed bravery in Z was taking on Cell and taking on #17. Do those two moments outweigh every other moment of bravery and courage from Krillin throughout the series in the eyes of fans? Did Krillin do virtually nothing prior the androids appearing their eyes?
I'm not denying Kuririn is brave and did brave actions, but Kuririn is visibly shown much, much more frightened much more often than Tenshinhan is, this is a fact.
Krillin is without a doubt not as stern or stoic as Tenshinhan. However that's what makes Krillin more sympathetic and believable. I am not really a huge fan of the Krillin is a coward or pussy angle when he's not. A lot of the time what the hell can he do? He knows he's outmatched but shows up and tries to help, despite being scared. Besides most people even with Krillin's power would be scared since they're still outmatched and could be killed. Would people prefer he just act all brave and just go take an unnecessary beating? What would that accomplish? A lot of cases him helping or not is not cause he's a pussy, but because he really wouldn't make much of a difference. It's why I prefer Krillin to Tenshinhan. Tenshinhan is cooler, but Krillin is far more reasonable and believable. He also has a better personality.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed May 27, 2015 5:34 pm

I'm not really saying Tenshinhan is a better character than Kuririn, the former is generic whose potential was wasted literally the arc after his introduction whilst the latter is my fifth favourite character in the series. I'm just saying that realistic or not, believable or not, hypocritical or not, all of the complaints that are made about Kuririn being a pussy are justified because, compared to almost EVERYONE else in the cast, he is. This is not to say that, if any of us were in his position, we wouldn't do the exact same thing (or even worse), obviously, but that's not really the point. Being brave or not depends on the perspective, and while he's brave compared to any normal person, inside of his little group, he's not and he knows it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 27, 2015 5:38 pm

Doctor. wrote:I feel like Piccolo is the one who screams out "MURICA" the most. Cold, arrogant, silent badass who everyone seems to think is a good father figure compared to Goku... even though he threw Gohan into a mountain first time they spoke; someone the american hipster-ey DB fans like to rely upon and bash Vegeta.

I really, really hate when people try to say Piccolo's a better "father" than Goku. Sure, it looks like he's a good father figure for Pan in RF, but that's about it.
I hate that shit as well. I wouldn't mind it if people said that Piccolo was good mentor for Gohan but to flat out say that he's a better father than Goku is just absurd.