Pan and Bra Recast in Super Dub or Kept?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Pan and Bra Recast in Super Dub or Kept?

Post by Super Sonic » Wed May 27, 2015 6:36 pm

Apology to the mods if this belongs more in the Super section, but thought would ask for the eventual dub of that series, if Pan and Bra were to appear, would you guys want Elysse Baughman and Uo (forget the actress' name, but know she was her on Fruits Basket) to reprise their roles, or have them be recast by Ryan Reynolds, Trina Nishimura, Tia Ballard, etc? Didn't watch much of GT, so not too familiar with Bra's voice outside the last eps of Z, and due t being a bit forget how Pan was there, so don't have an opinion on the old voices. Guys who are, any thoughts?

MajinVegetaPD
Beyond Newbie

Re: Pan and Bra Recast in Super Dub or Kept?

Post by MajinVegetaPD » Wed May 27, 2015 7:31 pm

If they want this new series to be successful, then both of those characters will not be in it. Keep them as babies/kids and off screen please.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed May 27, 2015 7:37 pm

Elise Baughman could very well still be kept, unless the version of the character we'd get in Super was at such extreme odds with the one we had in GT that the voice no longer fit, considering she just played the role again in Xenoverse. I never had a problem with her back in the GT dub, and she's gotten even better in Xenoverse I feel, so I'd be pretty happy if she were kept on.

Parisa Fakhri's Bra though...hmm. I honestly don't remember enough about what she sounded like in the role to judge (I did like her Uo in Fruits Basket though), but either way, she doesn't seem to have done anything for FUNi in ages. The same could have been said for the lady who played Tohru's mom however, but she popped up again more recently in One Piece and other shows, so...it's always hard to say for sure. A quick look on Behind the Voice Actors shows that she hasn't done anything for FUNi since 2004, but she was in a game that just came out this year called Dying Light...but looking at that game's cast seems to suggest it was LA based, so that still doesn't really help much in regards to FUNi.

I'm not really sure who I'd like to hear be a new English voice for the character, cuz again it depends on how alike or different she'd be from what we saw in GT. Assuming they were remotely similar...Cherami Leigh (she's in LA now but still works with FUNi often enough) or Leah Clarke could be an interesting choice. I could hear either of them working for an older Marron as well.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed May 27, 2015 7:40 pm

Super Sonic wrote:or have them be recast by Ryan Reynolds, Trina Nishimura, Tia Ballard, etc?
Ryan Reynolds??

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed May 27, 2015 7:43 pm

It's not who you're thinking of. Seeing the name in credits threw me for a loop for a good while too. :lol:
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed May 27, 2015 8:23 pm

I remember Pan's voice actress, I don't remember how Bra sounded in GT at all, so, whoever Funi feels fits the role best--I don't mind if they recast Bra.
In terms of recasting Pan's voice actress, I think it all comes down to what Pan's like in Super; what year the show takes place in (will she be a little kid? a teenager?), how different in personality she may or may not be from her GT self.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:24 pm

I really don't like GT Pan's dub voice at all. She sounds way to old, and her acting was below even the other cast at the time (to me, her performance felt like it was coming from Season 3 of Z's dub). She had none of the cuteness of Yuko Minaguchi's performance, which made Pan tolerable in the Japanese version. Even her Blue Water dub voice was better, being an actual kid.

So I'm in support of a new voice actress.

Bra was such a minor character in GT that I can't even recall either her dub voice or Japanese voice.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed May 27, 2015 8:27 pm

Decided to look up a clip of Bra in GT's dub, and while the timing with the audio and video is off a bit in this video, it's still a manageable reference.

Hmm...yeah, I think I'd definitely be more game for her being re-cast than I would be Baughman's Pan.
Twitter

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed May 27, 2015 8:38 pm

If it's taking place shortly after F, both may still be too young to do squat (and Bra may not even be born).

If it's after the End of Z and both are children capable of actually doing something, recast them both. I'm not much of a dub fan anymore, but I'm still not fond of the casting choices. The voices sound too old, even for the potential extra 5 years Funi aged everyone.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 27, 2015 8:49 pm

I was no fan of FUNi's GT Pan or Bra in the slightest, so a recast for both those roles, if they are to feature in Dragon Ball Super, would be very welcome from me.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Wed May 27, 2015 10:32 pm

I really didn't like GT Pan's dub voice at all. Didn't seem to fit, felt forced a bit in terms of acting. Lines like.. "get him grandpa!!!" sounded very fake and other lines, like of concern ala "... Grandpa??" just seem a bit off. I would compare the performance to a waitress or some sales woman who comes off incredibly fake over enthusiastically energetic to the point of annoyance. I really can't stand her voice at all. So yeah, recast please.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed May 27, 2015 10:39 pm

I'm not debating this since everyone is welcome to their own opinion, and I realize and accept that I'm in the minority here anyway, but I do have a question to pose for those who aren't fond of Elise Baughman's Pan - how many of you have heard her in Xenoverse? Cuz maybe it's just me, but I think she's definitely a case of having gotten better now that she's come back into the way Dragon Ball is done now - with a lot more care than they ever gave it back in the day. Am I the only one that hears that?
Twitter

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Thu May 28, 2015 1:09 am

I have no problem what so ever with Funimation's Pan and Bra. :|
If they were to recast them I wouldn't really care.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu May 28, 2015 5:48 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:It's not who you're thinking of. Seeing the name in credits threw me for a loop for a good while too. :lol:
That was why I mentioned her. Wanted to see if a few folks would think I was talking about the more famous one. :lol:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu May 28, 2015 5:53 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:It's not who you're thinking of. Seeing the name in credits threw me for a loop for a good while too. :lol:
That was why I mentioned her. Wanted to see if a few folks would think I was talking about the more famous one. :lol:
Gotta admit, that really had me curious, though deep down, I didn't expect it to be the famous one.
Also a girl called Ryan!
That's rare.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:59 pm

I never liked Pan's dub voice a bit more particularly so from most of the cast because I found hers to feel more noticably off in her deliveries. It didnt share that plauging problem with Funimation though where 40 year olds are trying to sound like kids; (because Pan at least sounded her age to me) but a lot of the lines were just very inconsistent with how her emotions were projected and often too pitchy. Her lines never sounded like they had any solid weight to them (that at the least Colleen's gohan has) but as someone above mentioned; they sounded forced and all over the place in delivery.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:37 pm

I thought dub GT Pan sounded adorable, and that dub GT Bra sounded like Tiffany Volmer. So maybe find someone that sounds like Monica Rial for Bra.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:13 pm

TheAldella wrote:I thought dub GT Pan sounded adorable, and that dub GT Bra sounded like Tiffany Volmer. So maybe find someone that sounds like Monica Rial for Bra.
Or just have Monica Rial play Bra. She could probably do it; she's mad talented.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Perfectionist-Cell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Perfectionist-Cell » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:31 pm

No they don't need to be in the series.In GT Pan was overated and overpowered and if they do decided to bring back Bulla do not overpower her like DB Multiverse.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:10 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:
TheAldella wrote:I thought dub GT Pan sounded adorable, and that dub GT Bra sounded like Tiffany Volmer. So maybe find someone that sounds like Monica Rial for Bra.
Or just have Monica Rial play Bra. She could probably do it; she's mad talented.
I'm down for that.
Perfectionist-Cell wrote:No they don't need to be in the series.In GT Pan was overated and overpowered and if they do decided to bring back Bulla do not overpower her like DB Multiverse.
I'd argue Pan was underpowered, since Goten and Trunks could turn Super Saiyan as small children with pretty much no effort, Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. had a miniscule amount of Saiyan blood and could turn Super Saiyan, but the daughter of "limitless potential" Gohan can't? If they use Pan and Bra though, personally I hope they follow in the EoZ's footsteps, just because I really didn't like how GT did Pan.

I feel like Pan's VA isn't really fitting but if she wasn't recast I wouldn't be mad or anything.