Region of the French Kaze Kai Blu-ray's.

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Region of the French Kaze Kai Blu-ray's.

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:52 pm

So I've been really enjoying the French dub of Kai and was thinking about purchasing Kaze's Blu-ray boxes and was wondering if they were region free? The reason I'm asking is because Amazon France has them for a great price, but they have them listed as Region B. However, the Genki-Store has them listed as "Zone: 0" which I'm assuming is region free? I've read online that France is really good about having their Blu-ray's "All-region ready". Does anyone know for sure if these are region locked or not?

http://genki-store.com/dragon-ball-kai- ... u-ray.html
http://genki-store.com/dragon-ball-kai- ... u-ray.html
Last edited by Freeza Soldier #156 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Puto
I Live Here

Re: Region of the French Kaze Kai Blu-ray's.

Post by Puto » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:41 am

I don't really know the answer to your question, but will note that Blu-ray regions are letters and not numbers.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:42 am

I can't tell you about those boxes by Kazé, but previous releases (Kai and the movies) were region-locked as DVDs. That makes it unlikely that it would suddenly become region-free, plus as Puto said, regions for Blu-rays are written with letters and not numbers like on the Genki-store.
I would trust that the French Blu-rays are encoded to our region too, which means region B (the green one on the map) as said by Amazon.
If you are not in a green country (apparently you're from Florida), I think you shouldn't take the risk! It would be expensive for something that ultimately has a high probability of not working where you are!
I'll check out what's written on the box when I'll get the first part of the Majin Boo saga (meaning Part 3 of the whole collection) at the end of May.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri May 29, 2015 12:30 pm

Now that I own the first official release for this international version (leading to episode 133 of the international version), I can confirm that the box mentions that it's Region B, it is NOT region-free.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:43 pm

If you don't mind me asking, do you have the dvd set or the blu ray set, and how is the video quality?

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri May 29, 2015 1:04 pm

^ I have the Blu-ray set, but I'm realy not the right person to ask about video quality since I'm more of a casual viewer.

However, if a casual viewer's opinion can help in any way, it seems great to me: aside from the sky being more cyan than the blue I would expect, I don't really notice the green tint: the white is pure white (like teeth and T-shirts), the black (like hair) are really black, and the picture doesn't have that pesky grain that will usually jump at your eyes while also not seeming overly blurred (you do see the difference between the opening or eyecatch and the actual episode, but there was never a time where I thought "hmm, the lines and details seem a bit blurry here".

However, it might be because the blur is not too strong with that remaster, as you can actually still see the original grain if you look for it.
It's still there, but barely, to the point that you will never feel like there's any grain unless you do glare at a specific point on purpose to check out if there's grain.

But again, be careful: casual, non-expert viewer here! But I was so pleased by the quality that I watched like 5-6 episodes instead of the 3 I initially wanted to watch, just to see more of those clean graphics and of course the new enjoyable dub.
And in case this is important, the TV I watched it on is set to "Cinema" settings, except I have the retrolighting at 40% of its capacity and I've deactivated any DNR and any other picture-altering function.
Last edited by Cold Skin on Fri May 29, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:59 pm

^Well I'm not exactly a expert-viewer so this actually sounds great to me. And I really don't mind a little bit of grain. It reminds that we're looking at 20+ years footage remastered in HD. I'm looking forward to the Funimation sets even more now.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri May 29, 2015 5:26 pm

^ Update after moving through more episodes (Goten and Trunks are fighting now).
It's a copy-paste of what I said in the other thread, but it might interest you to, so I re-post it here.

After moving forwards in the episodes, I can say that the green tint is still visible on specific elements (apparently elements that are brownish):
- While blond hair will be left intact when they are in the shade of C-18 or Shapner's hair, blond-brownish hair like those of the announcer will seem a bit greenish.
- Some elements of the Tenkaichi Budokai (most often the triangle-shaped rooftop and some barriers) will seem a bit greenish.
- While most skin tint are left intact, Mr. Satan's complexion appears greenish as if he's not feeling too well. Paler or darker skin tones don't show obvious greenish tint, but Mr. Satan (and all background characters sharing his complexion) is right where it shows!

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Sat May 30, 2015 6:19 am

Yeah, I expected it to still be a little greenish. But it's not going to really bother me. Once I lose myself in the show, those kind of problems like greenish tint or the cropping errors won't bother me at all.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat May 30, 2015 9:30 am

^ Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, I'm taking a huge pleasure in watching this.
There's never a time where I go "ew" when seeing the pictures, but there are many times where the pictures impress me, it's a really nice viewing experience.