Does anyone know what happened to Icarus ?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shonenhikada
Banned

Does anyone know what happened to Icarus ?

Post by shonenhikada » Fri May 29, 2015 1:16 pm

I remember a couple months back someone on this forum said Icarus and Gohan had a little falling out in the 3 year time gap for the androids and fought to the death. Anyone can confirm ?
Last edited by shonenhikada on Fri May 29, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Does anyone know what happened to Icarus ?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:18 pm

He's in the same place Paikuhan, Garlic Junior, Pigaro, Mr. Shuu, and mega ultra super Yamcha are.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 29, 2015 1:30 pm

Icarus is in filler jail awaiting trial for misdemeanors against continuity.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Fri May 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Flew too close to the sun.

Clearly learnt nothing from the Cooler movie.

Can't wait for him to be brought back as a metal dragon though.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri May 29, 2015 4:31 pm

shonenhikada wrote:I remember a couple months back someone on this forum said Icarus and Gohan had a little falling out in the 3 year time gap for the androids and fought to the death. Anyone can confirm ?
Can someone please find this post :lol:

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri May 29, 2015 4:42 pm

He grew up 8)

RealtreeByGod
Beyond Newbie

Post by RealtreeByGod » Fri May 29, 2015 4:58 pm

Goku ate him.

thefalseprophecy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thefalseprophecy » Fri May 29, 2015 6:16 pm

Who is Icarus?? Is that a dub name??

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:18 pm

Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:19 pm

He either died in the Cooler's Revenge movie.... or he came at Chi-Chi at the wrong place at the wrong time...
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Fri May 29, 2015 6:20 pm

"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat May 30, 2015 9:10 am

thefalseprophecy wrote:Who is Icarus?? Is that a dub name??
Yeah, who they're actually talking about is Hire Dragon, Gohan's mascot from movies 3-5, the Garlic Jr. arc, and the driving episode.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat May 30, 2015 9:13 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
thefalseprophecy wrote:Who is Icarus?? Is that a dub name??
Yeah, who they're actually talking about is Hire Dragon, Gohan's mascot from movies 3-5, the Garlic Jr. arc, and the driving episode.
Hire Dragon?
Isn't it Haiya?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat May 30, 2015 9:17 am

Haiya is the direct romanization. Herms always writes it as Hire, so, based on my faith of Herms's Hermsiness, I find myself assuming that's the term they're going for. As in, he's meant to be ridden as transportation, like a dragon for hire.

(That said, my first exposure to the term was Pioneer's subs for movie 3, which took Haiya in another direction and referred to him as "Higher Dragon," as in a dragon that's higher in the sky than yours, I guess.)
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:40 am

Their falling out actually happened after Goku died. Gohan, desperately in need of a father figure and scarred after seeing his dad kamikaze, started dressing Icarus in Goku's clothes, something that did not sit well with the pesky dragon. Icarus tried to reason with him in his native "dragon" tongue, but Gohan didn't want to hear any of it. Instead, the young boy yelled and cussed at Icarus, confusing him for his father: "Why were you never around!? Instead of training, why couldn't you spend more time with me! And now you're gone!" Icarus, scared, tried to slap some sense into him. Gohan, unfortunately, was not in a state that could be reasoned with, and instead transformed into a SSJ2. They then commenced to fight to the death. Needless to say, Chi Chi prepared a huge dinner that day.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat May 30, 2015 2:50 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Haiya is the direct romanization. Herms always writes it as Hire, so, based on my faith of Herms's Hermsiness, I find myself assuming that's the term they're going for. As in, he's meant to be ridden as transportation, like a dragon for hire.

(That said, my first exposure to the term was Pioneer's subs for movie 3, which took Haiya in another direction and referred to him as "Higher Dragon," as in a dragon that's higher in the sky than yours, I guess.)
All very interesting. Would make sense that its name is a pun, though it doesn't sound like Herms himself has clarified, that it is a pun.
You'd think punny names would be listed in one of the guides to clarify this.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat May 30, 2015 3:14 pm

Yeah, in Japanese the English word "hire" (ハイヤー/Haiyaa) is used to refer to a hired car. In Dr. Slump, Chivil rides around a very similar-looking dragon called "Taxi Dragon", and so the DBZ character seems to be a recycling of this idea. Of course, Gohan's not really paying this creature, but he's using him to ride around on. I suppose "Chauffeur Dragon" might have been a good way to adapt the name into English. Even if it's hard to imagine a little kid naming their pet that (but then, "Hire Dragon" probably has the same problem).

I actually don't have a big problem with the Funi dub just going with "Icarus", although it's sort of an ill-fated thing to name a creature you're going to ride around on. They might as well have named him "Hindenburg".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.