How many dubs of ''BATTLE OF GODS'' were made so far?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

How many dubs of ''BATTLE OF GODS'' were made so far?

Post by danielsan_190196 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:22 pm

I'm making a 'dub comparison' video of Battle of Gods and I want to know about what the title of the topic says. Your help will be appreciated :thumbup:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: How many dubs of ''BATTLE OF GODS'' were made so far?

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:40 pm

Japanese
English
German
Mandarin
French
Brazilian Portuguese
Catalan
Filipino
Spanish
Albanian

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:47 pm

Cantonese, Italian too.
Lord Beerus wrote:Albanian
I didnt' know.I'll watch it, just to see... :thumbup:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:52 pm

And Korean too!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:54 am

• Albanian
  • Basque
  • Cantonese (theatrical dub)
  • Cantonese (TVB dub)
  • Catalan
  • English
  • Filipino/Tagalog
  • French
  • German
  • Italian
  • Korean
  • Mandarin (Taiwan)
  • Portuguese (Brazil)
  • Spanish (Latin America)
  • Spanish (Spain)
  • Thai
I'm still not sure whether an official Albanian dub really exists, but it seems to have aired on Bang Bang in Albania.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:21 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Japanese
English
German
Mandarin
French
Brazilian Portuguese
Catalan
Filipino
Spanish
Albanian
Albanian?? Wow, I'd love to hear that.

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

Post by danielsan_190196 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:26 am

I think i found the official albanian dub of the movie.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:38 am

To the best of my knowledge, the German dub has not been released yet. Universum Anime has confirmed that they are indeed making one, yes, but I don't think it has been completed, and I'm pretty certain that even if it has it hasn't been seen yet (unless there's an update I missed). Last I heard, they hadn't even announced the cast.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

Post by danielsan_190196 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:22 am

Here's a sample of that dub (sorry for the editing :oops: ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw53qYlut9M

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:16 am

kei17 wrote:
  • Cantonese (TVB dub)
So Battle of Gods has been dubbed by TVB, too ?!! I'm sooooo glad to read that, I mean, the theatrical dub is a total fail.The actors weren't that bad, but poorly directed, especially Goku.
About the TVB dub, is it the same cast from Dragon Ball Kai ?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:16 am

I'm kinda surprised by how few dubs there are of Battle of Gods when we know how many dubs DBZ has gotten...

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:16 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:
kei17 wrote:
  • Cantonese (TVB dub)
So Battle of Gods has been dubbed by TVB, too ?!! I'm sooooo glad to read that, I mean, the theatrical dub is a total fail.The actors weren't that bad, but poorly directed, especially Goku.
About the TVB dub, is it the same cast from Dragon Ball Kai ?
Yes, it has TVB's Kai cast.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:03 pm

sangofe wrote:I'm kinda surprised by how few dubs there are of Battle of Gods when we know how many dubs DBZ has gotten...
I could have said the same thing about Kai. It has a decent amount of dubs, but not the amount that DBZ had. And with Super coming out, that certainly doesn't leave licensing companies who haven't picked up Kai yet with much of an incentive to do so (the company behind the Italian dub of DBZ, for example, said they weren't interested in Kai because it's pretty much DBZ again but shorter).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:02 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
sangofe wrote:I'm kinda surprised by how few dubs there are of Battle of Gods when we know how many dubs DBZ has gotten...
I could have said the same thing about Kai. It has a decent amount of dubs, but not the amount that DBZ had. And with Super coming out, that certainly doesn't leave licensing companies who haven't picked up Kai yet with much of an incentive to do so (the company behind the Italian dub of DBZ, for example, said they weren't interested in Kai because it's pretty much DBZ again but shorter).
Well, Kai, like you said, is a shorter DBZ, but Battle of Gods was new Dragon Ball Z...

Demon of Light
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Demon of Light » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:01 pm

The success of a TV anime in a certain country does not guarantee that success would translate to the box office, which would explain why not many countries picked up Battle of Gods for a dub. The distributors can't rely on the success of something in its home country or limited releases in countries where it's bound to be successful, they need to this - would the viewers in our country watch this? Is it worth bringing here now? TV screening rights may also be pretty steep for the first year or two, which is also a factor that would make distributors and dubbing studios shy away from picking Battle of Gods so soon after its release.

It's also worth considering how long has it been since the last time any Dragon Ball content was dubbed in some countries. I'm thinking of my country, where they ran out of Dragon Ball things to dub (with the exception of the original Dragon Ball anime, ironically) nearly a decade ago. DBZ was immensely popular during its run here, but would the kids who dressed up in Goku costumes in 2008 be so eager to watch a new DBZ movie now that they're in middle school? We haven't had boxset releases or reruns, would a new generation of elementary school kids even understand the appeal?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:18 pm

Demon of Light wrote:The success of a TV anime in a certain country does not guarantee that success would translate to the box office, which would explain why not many countries picked up Battle of Gods for a dub. The distributors can't rely on the success of something in its home country or limited releases in countries where it's bound to be successful, they need to this - would the viewers in our country watch this? Is it worth bringing here now? TV screening rights may also be pretty steep for the first year or two, which is also a factor that would make distributors and dubbing studios shy away from picking Battle of Gods so soon after its release.

It's also worth considering how long has it been since the last time any Dragon Ball content was dubbed in some countries. I'm thinking of my country, where they ran out of Dragon Ball things to dub (with the exception of the original Dragon Ball anime, ironically) nearly a decade ago. DBZ was immensely popular during its run here, but would the kids who dressed up in Goku costumes in 2008 be so eager to watch a new DBZ movie now that they're in middle school? We haven't had boxset releases or reruns, would a new generation of elementary school kids even understand the appeal?
It'd be useful to know where you live :)

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Demon of Light wrote:The success of a TV anime in a certain country does not guarantee that success would translate to the box office, which would explain why not many countries picked up Battle of Gods for a dub. The distributors can't rely on the success of something in its home country or limited releases in countries where it's bound to be successful, they need to this - would the viewers in our country watch this? Is it worth bringing here now? TV screening rights may also be pretty steep for the first year or two, which is also a factor that would make distributors and dubbing studios shy away from picking Battle of Gods so soon after its release.

This is so correct it hurts. That said, isn't it Toei's fault for limiting the movie to 20-something countries, or does that not play any part at all?
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:35 pm

danielsan_190196 wrote:Here's a sample of that dub (sorry for the editing :oops: ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw53qYlut9M
I dunno about Videl but Satan is spot on :lol:

Demon of Light
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Demon of Light » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:44 pm

sangofe wrote:It'd be useful to know where you live :)
I live in Israel, but I think it doesn't matter on the long run. The factors I mentioned in my previous post are very much the same in many other countries without an "anime culture", so to speak. It does make me wonder what I don't know about Albania's anime and manga market, though, I was quite surprised to hear that they have a dub of Battle of Gods.
Quebaz wrote:This is so correct it hurts. That said, isn't it Toei's fault for limiting the movie to 20-something countries, or does that not play any part at all?
That could be a factor? I think Toei was playing it safe with Battle of Gods, as they weren't sure how it would be received by worldwide audience. They're obviously more sure of themselves now, didn't they say they would be screened in 74 countries? And by my last count, we only know a little over 20 of these locations! I'm really curious as to where else it might show up. Surely not here? :o