Does db-super take place before the movies (BOG, ROF)?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Does db-super take place before the movies (BOG, ROF)?

Post by flashback0180 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:15 pm

Well the official announcement said the series takes place after the battle with kid buu. Does that mean we won't get to see any god characters?

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Does db-super take place before the movies (BOG, ROF)?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:21 pm

I'd like to give an answer with some sort of depth, but the simple fact is that we just don't know yet. There are a dozen or so statements that can be interpreted in a couple of different ways and there hasn't been any clarification yet. So all I can do is suggest that you wait and see what tomorrow's Super trailer (depending on content) or the first chapter in this month's V-Jump (on the 20th) have to offer on the matter.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:53 pm

According to what was posted on the official Dragon Ball Super Twitter page, it seems rather likely that it's going to take place after Revival of F.
7月放送開始の新シリーズ「ドラゴンボール超」はTVアニメ初の鳥山明オリジナル原案!長い眠りから目覚めた破壊の神ビルスとの出会いや、かつて「宇宙の帝王」と恐れられたフリーザの復活に加え、更なる謎の人物も登場…?(S)

The new TV series “Dragon Ball Super” by Akira Toriyama begins in July! After meeting with the God of Destruction; Beerus, who had awakened from his sleep, and after the revival of the dreaded “Emperor of the Universe”; Freeza, a new mysterious person appears …?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:58 pm

Yes, but one can still argue whether that's meant to be interpreted in an in-universe manner or an out of universe one. Especially with all the other blanket statements like those about it it being set after Buu (with no other specific mentions) that are constantly confusing people and causing this topic to be brought up fairly often.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:01 am

Definitely hard to tell at this point, but I sure do hope it comes after FnF.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:04 am

We'll all find out in two days. Official preview up on Sunday.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

supercat

Post by supercat » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:03 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:We'll all find out in two days. Official preview up on Sunday.
I remember when the first FnF trailer came out, I was hyped. I'm really looking forward to seeing who this new character is going to be!

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:54 am

Well...no.

And if it was this, it would be a very stupid decision by Toei, in terms of marketing and budget.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:13 am

It would make very little sense to have the new series take place before the recent movies with new characters added. I can say with the utmost certainty that this will follow Resurrection F at the least.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:37 am

I'm starting to get the feeling that the last chapter of the manga is going to be completely retconned into nonexistence, and maybe Uub as well. Would be a shame if that were the case.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:19 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Yes, but one can still argue whether that's meant to be interpreted in an in-universe manner or an out of universe one. Especially with all the other blanket statements like those about it it being set after Buu (with no other specific mentions) that are constantly confusing people and causing this topic to be brought up fairly often.
Was it not said that the opponents in Super would be stronger than Freeza? That would have to mean that it takes place after the movies.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:48 pm

Yeah since they most likely meant Freeza in ROF and not pre-ROF Freeza. I doubt the movie will take place before Battle of Gods since we are getting a major villain this time around. I think a year after ROF and four years before 28th Tenkachi Budokai or after the 28th Tenkachi Budokai are still possible.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:33 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I'm starting to get the feeling that the last chapter of the manga is going to be completely retconned into nonexistence, and maybe Uub as well. Would be a shame if that were the case.
The EoZ shouldn't be retconned or changed as the majority of fans want Uub to be a character. I don't really see why would be any good if Toriyama decided to keep the Saiyan centrism and exclude Uub knowing about his huge potential. I think he introduced Freeza's prodigy thing to generate a reasoning for Uub to grow to SSGSS Goku's/Vegeta's level with simple training.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:18 pm

All the hints seem to suggest that Super takes place at least after ROF and BOG, but as fadeddreams5 said, we'll find out on Sunday.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:45 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I'm starting to get the feeling that the last chapter of the manga is going to be completely retconned into nonexistence, and maybe Uub as well. Would be a shame if that were the case.
I don't want to lose child!Pan, child!Bra, and Goten's EoZ design though. :cry: I mean, I'll deal if it happens, but I don't want it to happen.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:42 am

Well there are Beerus and Whis in teaser and for some reason Goku transforms in SSJ, the normal one....But since BoG and RoF are cannon it probably takes place after it...

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:14 pm

Super Vegetto wrote:Well there are Beerus and Whis in teaser and for some reason Goku transforms in SSJ, the normal one....But since BoG and RoF are cannon it probably takes place after it...
We don't know if Goku turning into a normal SSJ is legit what the episode is going to be like though. Don't forget they re-made Gohan powering up to Ultimate in BoG. In the trailer for BoG, Gohan actually turns into a SSJ.

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:53 pm

Hitiro wrote:
Super Vegetto wrote:Well there are Beerus and Whis in teaser and for some reason Goku transforms in SSJ, the normal one....But since BoG and RoF are cannon it probably takes place after it...
We don't know if Goku turning into a normal SSJ is legit what the episode is going to be like though. Don't forget they re-made Gohan powering up to Ultimate in BoG. In the trailer for BoG, Gohan actually turns into a SSJ.
Well he does work on the field and punching the ground to plant a seed in SSJ already makes no sense, so you could be right...

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:17 am

I heard it's taking place before rof,
"After defeating Majin Buu, life is peaceful once again. Ordered by Chi-chi to earn money, Goku works even as he wants to train even more. Meanwhile, Goten, about to become a brother-in-law to Videl, sets out on a journey with Trunks to find her a present. "
[*]Gohan still isn't married.
[*] bulma doesn't have the rof movie hairstyle
[*]No whis symbol on their cloths.
[*]Everyone resembles battle gods version.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:51 am

Didn't Whis just draw the symbol as a joke while training with them?

You'd figure they would eventually switch to clean clothes rather than ones that were doodled on.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147