"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:20 am

I like how it looks so far. I prefer the comedic tone of Super as how it is going to look so far. No Villain reveals are kind of a bummer though. I love all their clothing and Gohan being a scholar. Only 15 seconds so you can't expect much out of it.

Admit it Rocketman, you have secretly watched it while you were secretly living under a rock. :shh:
Last edited by TheKingOfKamehamehas on Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:21 am

fexus wrote:Just as I expected. People hate it. Guys, people hate this. I am right. People are disappointed. There are also a lot of people assuming things. For the people not jumping the gun, I thank you. If I could give this fanbase a hug, I would.
I also don't hate it. I love to see Beerus and Whis there :D
I also expected it to be before end of Z so I'm happy for all this teaser showed (Goten in his blue outfit :D ) :thumbup:
I'm also intrigued to know if this is before FnF or after :mrgreen:
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:23 am

Noah wrote:I have some questions

Majin Boo ultimate defeat was in age 774 right? Then 2 years later (776), Tarble come to Earth? And then in Age 779 we know about the God Of Destruction Beerus and now SUPER is set in Age 780? 4 years before EoZ (784)?

Correct me if I'm wrong
AGE 774 - Majin Buu
AGE 776 - JSAT (Tarble)
AGE 778 - BOG (Beerus)
AGE 779~ - F (Freeza)
AGE 7?? - Super
AGE 784 - Uub

Super has no confirmed year yet, but it seems to at least be taking place after Resurrection F. Could start the next day, may start the next year, or even later. We don't know yet.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:40 am

I hope you do something in this series Goten.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

godku23
Beyond Newbie

Post by godku23 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:48 am

I am very excited. When i got into this series years ago, i had no idea I'd be able to see anything new anime wise. My hype is at significantly higher levels than when Battle of Gods came out. Its a new series! I personally see no need to be disappointed, but my experience with the series is also different than anyone else's. Be mad and unsatisfied if you want, but no one's going to make me feel the same way (except maybe Toriyama/Toei).
<(-_-<) (>-_-)> Fu...

^(-_-^) (^-_-)^ sion...

(>-_-)> <(-_-<) HA

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27729&start=15600#p886966

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:52 am

Animation wise, I'm pleasantly surprised. With how some of Toei's shows have been animated, I was dreading the possibility of Super looking like the UT cutscenes or even Xenoverse's intro. Thankfully my fears are for nothing and the show does look decent. Certainly nothing impressive by today's anime standards but for a Toei show, it does look like a decent budget was given.

I am bummed about Goten and Trunks looking no older but hopefully that changes later on as Super progresses. Otherwise I look forward to watching it and seeing what it has in store.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:00 am

I hope to God, Sumitomo morphs back into his Guilty self to compose this series....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhjwqrP ... 6F8664DCDA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzatyQ5 ... 6F8664DCDA (Dat sax)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIsXiIt ... 6F8664DCDA (This track reminds me of the kikuchi organ tracks, good stuff)

I saw a photo of Sumitomo one time, he was with a sax, his sax stuff sounds really good, he should put it on super.

*tries to think good about super*
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:10 am

I never found the XV intro to look that bad. It looks and feels like Dragon Ball to me. It's not like if it was made on the CDI or anything from Vídeo Brinquedo.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:11 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I never found the XV intro to look that bad. It looks and feels like Dragon Ball to me. It's not like if it was made on the CDI or anything from Vídeo Brinquedo.
It was not bad at all, but both UT and XV anime scenes suffered from very questionable symmetry
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:19 am

Black_Liger wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I never found the XV intro to look that bad. It looks and feels like Dragon Ball to me. It's not like if it was made on the CDI or anything from Vídeo Brinquedo.
It was not bad at all, but both UT and XV anime scenes suffered from very questionable symmetry
Hoshino Mamoru was the first credited key animator for Dragon Ball: XenoVerse, which means he did the majority of the cuts' of key animation. Hoshino is known for being Toei Animation's recent go-to animator for rushing cuts to get episodes finished on time. First he did so for Saint Seiya Omega then he moved on to Happiness Charge! PreCure. He hasn't worked on Go! Princess PreCure for a while so I'm willing to bet he will be playing a major part in Dragon Ball Super.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:24 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote: AGE 774 - Majin Buu
AGE 776 - JSAT (Tarble)
AGE 778 - BOG (Beerus)
AGE 779~ - F (Freeza)
AGE 7?? - Super
AGE 784 - Uub

Super has no confirmed year yet, but it seems to at least be taking place after Resurrection F. Could start the next day, may start the next year, or even later. We don't know yet.
Thank you, TheDevilsCorpse

I'll note this
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:01 am

*sigh* :|

Well... it was in the realm of possibilities for Super to be set right after the movies. I'm just a little sad we didn't get closer to EoZ even with Goten or Trunks. From a storytelling point of view... taking off from where Z left would have been a better sound idea. I really hope they know what they are doing.

I mean, I wouldn't mind them staying at that era, but PLEASE, let them grow.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:07 am

If enough fans tell Toriyama to make Goten and Trunks grow, he miiiiight just listen and turn them into infants.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:10 am

Black_Liger wrote:Do we find all that tension in new media?. Nope, the emotion is pathetic, only bulma cried a bit in FnF when the earth blew up, everyone else was like

Oh Gamgee, that jerk, Gohan had lost his wife and new born daughter, no tear, Krillin had lost his wife and baby girl too, almost not even troubled. The execution of serious stuff is terrible in modern dbz.
TFS Yamcha: But ... you make it sound as if death has no consequence!!
TFS Tien: It *really* doesn't. We're *literally* just waiting to go back.

After a point, it's hard to take death seriously in Dragon Ball. A character dying feels more like a character getting 'benched' for an unknown number of episodes. You get more annoyed at the fact you have to wait for him to come back, rather than being sad about his death.

Also, about the comments of the RR Ribbon and Daimaoh arc and hell, all of DB combine being more serious than Z, it's probably because of target audience. DB was for 13-15 year olds, DBZ was for 7-12. And given the vibe of the new movies, I doubt that Dragon Ball Super is intended to be watched by 30-year olds who grew up with the show. It's probably intented for a much younger audience. Hence the need to have Kid Goten and Kid Trunks jerking around in order for the show to strike the right chords with the kiddies. Frankly, I have *no* idea where the android/Cell saga came from, but that golden age is gone and is never coming back.

Guys, I'm going to be straight with you. If you feel the show has gotten 'silly' ... it hasn't. You're just 'too old for this shit'. Seriously, 95% of the people in those boards do not fit the target demographic of the show, so don't expect the show to be 'everything you hoped for'. I'm referring to the people here who expect Super to be rich with dark moments, serious storytelling, meaningful characters etc etc. It won't. It's a show for kids. A show for kids being kids.Everyone in those boards has a manchild in him/her, clamoring to get out, and that's fine. But having unrealistic expectations (such as believing the show grew up alongside you) is naïve at best. Honestly, do you take seriously a story where the supposed God of Destruction halts his urges to blow up stuff in order to eat ice cream sundae? That's the show's silliness at full force, take it for what it is. The show hasn't matured one bit, so don't expect it too. Again, I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I'm saying *that* is DB and always will be.

About the trailer itself, it's safe to assume they're sticking with the Buu philosophy (there will be action, but good guys and bad guys will be ridiculed at regular intervals, preventing the viewer from taking the show seriously). Goku is taking front stage with Vegeta sticking close by, but we can expect to see other characters for filler moments or gawk like idiots when the full-blooded saiyan duo takes on the next challenge. And there's definitely going to be a villain. It ain't DBZ without one.
Last edited by Nickolaidas on Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:12 am

Just woke up and hurried to watch the trailer... And I was greeted with this rather nasty surprise... Trunks and Goten are still kids.

--___________--

I hated both of them more than anything else for few seconds there. Although I can't really call it a surprise. I knew AT wouldn't bother drawing teen models for them. UUURGH! WHY CAN'T YOU JUST GROW UP?!!

I know this sounds stupid, but how does a guy's hair work? Does Gohan need some time to get that hairstyle or could it be right after ROF?
Gohan looks really happy now that he has a family :) and people actually want him to die? Jeez.
Goku is really a farmer now? Wow. Chi-chi must be happy now.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:18 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:If enough fans tell Toriyama to make Goten and Trunks grow, he miiiiight just listen and turn them into infants.
LOL. Actually, I'd like to see that. I'm just THAT bored of their current look. Poor Pan. She might get the same treatment and get stuck as an infant for the rest of her pre-EOZ life.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:20 am

Avery wrote: Goku is really a farmer now? Wow. Chi-chi must be happy now.
He has been a farmer for the last couple of years since the 2008 special. .....Which is weird. I mean... it was certainly a nice touch to give him a job in the OVA. But it is almost as if Toei is trying to make a point that Goku is actually at least a little capable of providing for his family? ...Maybe?
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:22 am

Well this new trailer was confusing, still hyped but so many questions!
I so hope SSJGSSJ isn't gone, I love that form. Hopefully Super will gradually pass by EOZ at the least. Gotta wait for the full trailer and hopefully we'll learn a little about the plot then.
Oh, and on the plus side it seems Gohan has "ultimate" eyes back. :D

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:25 am

Gokû seemed so unhappy gardening in the Jump 08 special though. He even tricked(?) the rest of the cast into helping him harvest a bunch of those daikon because less time spent out there for him. If he has to have a job, I wish it was something he liked at least.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:30 am

Chuquita wrote:Gokû seemed so unhappy gardening in the Jump 08 special though. He even tricked(?) the rest of the cast into helping him harvest a bunch of those daikon because less time spent out there for him. If he has to have a job, I wish it was something he liked at least.
It either that, Milk Delivery or Construction work. We can at least thank Roshi he gave him skills to earn a living. xD