"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:34 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Marco Polo wrote:What if Fat Beerus is just a good guy who came to warn the heroes of the real threat? Like Future Trunks and Kaioshin in DBZ.
Would they feature him in the poster like that?
Why not, to surprise us? Moreover, Beerus has the same expression as him, and Female Whis doesn't seem very evil/antagonistic.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Mewzard wrote:
Mewzard wrote:Okay, why is everyone acting like this is confirmed to take place in between BoG and RoF? Was anything like that even confirmed? All I've read thus far is a few people speculated it might, then some cursed about it being confirmed to take place then, and after that everyone seemed to go along with it.

Beerus is asleep between the two movies, so why would he be in the trailer and images if he was asleep? Why would they even set a whole series between the movie after just building it up? At most, I imagine we'll have an arc before that point (maybe less). I say imagine because nothing has been confirmed as far as I've seen (unless I missed something, if so, feel free to post).
I feel like this is important, as either I've missed some major confirmation, or this entire thread is making some massive assumptions.
I hear you on that, going back through the thread I can't see any official confirmation, it honestly looks like large assumptions. I don't see the logic behind setting it between the films either, there was no mention in RoF of another god of destruction or anything else that might've happened between BoG and RoF.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:36 pm

Bonus Stage wrote:Image

New Dragon Ball Super image.
(Weekly Shonen Jump 29)
black outlined dudes remind me of Supreme Kai character designs
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:39 pm

Maybe those are Makaioshin!

lol. nah.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

radrappy
Beyond Newbie

Post by radrappy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:39 pm

Sin wrote:
Mewzard wrote:
Mewzard wrote:Okay, why is everyone acting like this is confirmed to take place in between BoG and RoF? Was anything like that even confirmed? All I've read thus far is a few people speculated it might, then some cursed about it being confirmed to take place then, and after that everyone seemed to go along with it.

Beerus is asleep between the two movies, so why would he be in the trailer and images if he was asleep? Why would they even set a whole series between the movie after just building it up? At most, I imagine we'll have an arc before that point (maybe less). I say imagine because nothing has been confirmed as far as I've seen (unless I missed something, if so, feel free to post).
I feel like this is important, as either I've missed some major confirmation, or this entire thread is making some massive assumptions.
I hear you on that, going back through the thread I can't see any official confirmation, it honestly looks like large assumptions. I don't see the logic behind setting it between the films either, there was no mention in RoF of another god of destruction or anything else that might've happened between BoG and RoF.
I think people are assuming purely based on the fact that all the characters are in their BoG attire. This honestly shouldn't mean anything given that characters often change their clothes. However the lack of Goku/Vegeta's Whis training outfits is what kind of makes me suspect the assumption isn't off base.

As for the key image and trailer in general, I am beyond excited. I feel like an old man because the wealth of Dragonball material being suddenly created (and with AT's involvement to boot) has left me completely overwhelmed. I'm still reeling from how great RoF was, I'm not sure I can handle a whole tv show so soon.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:44 pm

Cold Skin wrote:
Sora Saiyan wrote:It does look likely it will be set pre F, all I can do is pray it's not! :P there's no confirmation yet, and maybe Toriyama and Toei just preferred the BoG designs... I need a glimmer of hope but it just seems unlikely. I'll still enjoy this though, but I just think post F/EoZ makes the most sense, as it is looking now (pre F) it's better than pre BoG at least! :P
If they set it after, all that happened before RF will never be explained in detail. How did Vegeta become involved with God stuff? How did they find out about the new form the first time? How did they come to change their trademark battle costumes?

Instead of having BATTLE OF GODS - [Unknown gap with unknown events] - RESURRECTION 'F' - SUPER, we get to have a no-gap continuity with the TV airing of RF:
BATTLE OF GODS - SUPER - RESURRECTION 'F' - SUPER.

And this is the exact gap that needs to be closed, since RF was the only time they showed "things have obviously happened making the characters obviously used to things you've never even seen before like new transformations already fully mastered", so actually filling that gap with all the missing events and information makes the most sense, doesn't it?

The two new movies and Super form a very close continuity, it's only natural that no gap at all would be left in-between Super episodes, Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'.
And even more natural that Super would align with the RF TV airing in March/April for everyone in the country, even those who wouldn't pay for the cinema.
I just prefer to think that this fat Beerus is more powerful than Golden Freeza, which I can't see at the minute with it being pre F. I get your point though, but I would prefer it did the bits of recapping in flashbacks. I was never massively bothered with not seeing how Goku achieved SSJ3, or not seeing what happened in the timeskips, and I'm not bothered about not seeing SSJG Vegeta that much, a flashback would make me happy but if I have to choose post F or pre, I'm post all day. If they show us Gohan losing his ultimate form, and all the other little question marks in F I'll be happy. :)

I'd like fat Beerus to actually be a threat to Beerus, but if Goku is gonna put up a fight against somebody that powerful he needs to be stronger than he is in F.

radrappy
Beyond Newbie

Post by radrappy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:48 pm

Sora Saiyan wrote: I just prefer to think that this fat Beerus is more powerful than Golden Freeza, which I can't see at the minute with it being pre F. I get your point though, but I would prefer it did the bits of recapping in flashbacks. I was never massively bothered with not seeing how Goku achieved SSJ3, or not seeing what happened in the timeskips, and I'm not bothered about not seeing SSJG Vegeta that much, a flashback would make me happy but if I have to choose post F or pre, I'm post all day. If they show us Gohan losing his ultimate form, and all the other little question marks in F I'll be happy. :)

I'd like fat Beerus to actually be a threat to Beerus, but if Goku is gonna put up a fight against somebody that powerful he needs to be stronger than he is in F.
Why shouldn't fat beerus be more powerful? The film made it pretty clear that though strong, Golden Freeza still wasn't a threat to Beerus.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:57 pm

Ushabtis wrote:

(Weekly Shonen Jump 29)
Looks like a female supreme kai to me. Don't ask me why.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:59 pm

So many people want a Princess Vegeta :lol:
why?
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:00 pm

Avery wrote:So many people want a Princess Vegeta :lol:
why?
The better question is why not? :P

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:01 pm

Avery wrote:So many people want a Princess Vegeta :lol:
why?

Think of the gags between Vegeta and her, especially if she's super silly.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:02 pm

Wow.... I was under the impression that they won't uncover other Gods of Destruction/other universes anymore. And now we have a Fat Beerus-like character along with an attendant just like Whis. This must mean that the Super is going to tell about other Gods of Destruction and other universes. This guys must come from other universe.(6th or 8th for example :P). But I really hope the whole story or the series won't take place after Battle of Gods and end with Resurrection F having only 1(or so) year of runoff. Beerus implied that the other Gods of Destruction might be even more powerful than he is.
As if this fat guy appears before Golden Freeza, who is supposed to be stronger than Goku and Vegeta, and Whis telling that Goku and Vegeta never team up to defeat an enemy I'd like to believe that this guy is actually weaker than Beerus, so even it's evil, Goku or Vegeta could possibly kill him or persecute him back to his universe.

I'm happy now, but I don't want this Super to take place only in between BOG and F, that won't be any good, I want Uub to appear.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Retan wrote:
Ushabtis wrote:
Bonus Stage wrote:New Dragon Ball Super image.
(Weekly Shonen Jump 29)
This was posted on Thursday. The silhouettes are from Dragon Ball Heroes.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:24 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:This was posted on Thursday. The silhouettes are from Dragon Ball Heroes.
huh i Figured it was something like that. thanks for the clarification
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

ssjgbunnyman

Post by ssjgbunnyman » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:28 pm

Retan wrote:
Ushabtis wrote:

(Weekly Shonen Jump 29)
I'm liking the idea of an all female type universe but I'm sure thats not going to be the case as fat Beers doesnt look at all feminine but you never know. I'm just glad they're delving into the multiverse concept here as I was hoping that little aspect of BoG would go somewhere.
Think of the gags between Vegeta and her, especially if she's super silly.
^This.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:34 pm

radrappy wrote:
Sora Saiyan wrote: I just prefer to think that this fat Beerus is more powerful than Golden Freeza, which I can't see at the minute with it being pre F. I get your point though, but I would prefer it did the bits of recapping in flashbacks. I was never massively bothered with not seeing how Goku achieved SSJ3, or not seeing what happened in the timeskips, and I'm not bothered about not seeing SSJG Vegeta that much, a flashback would make me happy but if I have to choose post F or pre, I'm post all day. If they show us Gohan losing his ultimate form, and all the other little question marks in F I'll be happy. :)

Why shouldn't fat beerus be more powerful? The film made it pretty clear that though strong, Golden Freeza still wasn't a threat to Beerus.
I might not have been clear but I tried to say it at the end, but for Goku to beat fat Beerus, if fat Beerus is indeed at Beerus's level, Goku would need to be stronger than when he fought Golden Freeza as Freeza had the upper hand until he started to rapidly lose energy in their fight.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:38 pm

And then we could be all like, put Trunks in Vegeta's Boo arc outfit, and just age them a little...

Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:41 pm

SSJGFrieza wrote:
I don't think they want to get us hyped for a villain "Stronger than Freeza and Buu" and then give use a fat version of Beerus no one could take seriously.
Just like people didn't take Fat Buu seriously until he one shot Gohan and Dabura and beat the shit out of Vegeta?
Even Fat Buu eventually got a redesign with the Super Buu transformation.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:41 pm

Flame Dragon wrote:
SSJGFrieza wrote:
I don't think they want to get us hyped for a villain "Stronger than Freeza and Buu" and then give use a fat version of Beerus no one could take seriously.
Just like people didn't take Fat Buu seriously until he one shot Gohan and Dabura and beat the shit out of Vegeta?
Even Fat Buu eventually got a redesign with the Super Buu transformation.
The OG Beerus is the Super Boo transformation.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:47 pm

You know, given Whis' personality, they could (and should) have made him a female to begin with.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super