"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Babbu
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Babbu » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:55 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I've been told at A-Kon that Funimation does not want to do a simuldub since they can't get the whole cast to dub it weekly and they want to have the dub be good as possible when they air on Toonami. I would not expect a English dub until early 2016.
Anything about a simulsub?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:09 am

I don't know. I think Funimation wants the dub and subs be out around the same time. Most causal fans like the dub over sub in the US.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:31 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I've been told at A-Kon that Funimation does not want to do a simuldub since they can't get the whole cast to dub it weekly and they want to have the dub be good as possible when they air on Toonami. I would not expect a English dub until early 2016.
I'm glad they've said this. I'd hate to see them scramble and make a half-assed dub of a popular show making a big return like this. I hope that means all the voice actors will be reprising their roles as well. (I would have hated to see voice actors be changed/dropped around because of a quick dub)
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:58 am

I really hope Gohan doesn't become the new Yamcha in Super.

I'd rather not see him fight at all.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:29 am

If it means waiting a little bit longer for a good dub, I'm fine with that. FUNimation do seem really keen about broadcast dubs though, so that's a strange one. I know they're keen to start doing one for One Piece, and that has a big cast.

I appreciate the difficulties of it though.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:35 am

Flame Dragon wrote:I really hope Gohan doesn't become the new Yamcha in Super.

Well...
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:05 am

I've been thinking and, in F, there was a 4 month timeskip right? And Nakao is confirmed to have a part on this, right? Maybe the series will go through those 4 months and maybe we'll see Freeza training, maybe meeting the new "God" and whatnot. It can be something mundane like a recap of F, but I prefer to think it's something better.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:27 am

I'm thinking Super will be the bridge that connects the movies we will be getting from now on and there will more coming in the future.
There's no way that ROF is the last one. When that time comes, Toei will just promote it like "The last movie written by Toriyama" or something like that. And the box office will skyrocket.

2012 - BOG announced (Tuesday)
2013 - BOG released
2014 - ROF announced (Tuesday)
2015 - ROF released

So, following this pattern the next one may be announced next year (on a tuesday of course :lol: ) and released in 2017.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:29 am

Maybe Toriyama will continue his Makaioushin concept.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:39 am

Flame Dragon wrote:I really hope Gohan doesn't become the new Yamcha in Super.

Yeah, that's pretty much the route no one wants him to go down. Sad day when you have a character that is not allowed to win due to an increase on focus on others. Doesn't really make much sense.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:50 am

SSJ Human wrote:Yeah, that's pretty much the route no one wants him to go down.
Based on the last 2 movies and this arc's poster it looks like that's where he is now.

He went from #1 to #0 in a flash which is hard to believe cause this is the same character who won the Cell games.
Last edited by sintzu on Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:59 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't know. I think Funimation wants the dub and subs be out around the same time. Most causal fans like the dub over sub in the US.
Welp! That's a good way for fansubs to get the edge in and start forming fans perception of the series before FUNi would even get a chance to put their version out there :|

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:25 am

medama_oyaji wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't know. I think Funimation wants the dub and subs be out around the same time. Most causal fans like the dub over sub in the US.
Welp! That's a good way for fansubs to get the edge in and start forming fans perception of the series before FUNi would even get a chance to put their version out there :|
That would be really unfortunate, because Funi gets their One Piece official subs out no more than one hour after that airs. The idea that they wouldn't be able to do that for Dragon Ball when it's arguably more popular in the U.S. than One Piece is frustrating.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:11 am

Chuquita wrote:
medama_oyaji wrote:
That would be really unfortunate, because Funi gets their One Piece official subs out no more than one hour after that airs. The idea that they wouldn't be able to do that for Dragon Ball when it's arguably more popular in the U.S. than One Piece is frustrating.
The worldwide Dragonball licensing situation is a lot older, and a lot more complex, than One Piece. I think there's a lot more potentially in the way of a simulsub of a Dragonball product than Toei's marketting plans - and frankly, whatever the fuck they is anyone's guess. :lol:

That said, stranger things have happened?
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:13 am

sintzu wrote:
SSJ Human wrote:Yeah, that's pretty much the route no one wants him to go down.
Based on the last 2 movies and this arc's poster it looks like that's where he is now.

He went from #1 to #0 in a flash which is hard to believe cause this is the same character who won the Cell games.
What? But Mr Satan is still seen as #1 to the people of Ear-

Oh, you mean...

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:54 am

I will likely watch Super raw until Funimation officially subs it. So far Funimation hasn't announced the Buu saga Kai yet. It would make more sense to announce that first before they do Super.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:23 pm

Doctor. wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:I know it's too early to say anything about this, but I don't like how Videl currently appears. Not in terms of design, but she seems very "damsel-in-distress"-esque. Did Toriyama forget what this character was like or something? She was badass in the Great Saiyaman saga and against Spopovich... >_>;
She has been portrayed the same ever since the Spopovich fight.

Looks like she got scared or something.
Videl got Yamcha'd :(

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:53 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I will likely watch Super raw until Funimation officially subs it. So far Funimation hasn't announced the Buu saga Kai yet. It would make more sense to announce that first before they do Super.
Would it though? Buu Kai is essentially a re-release while Super is a new product. They could release Buu Kai anytime whereas with Super it is like strike when the iron is hot kind of situation.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:15 pm

Whatever revenue they get from streaming is gonna be hurt if they don't come to a deal in time. If Funi misses that window the pirates'll move in and take a chunk of the viewers away.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:19 pm

Chuquita wrote:Whatever revenue they get from streaming is gonna be hurt if they don't come to a deal in time. If Funi misses that window the pirates'll move in and take a chunk of the viewers away.
Yes, I am waiting for SUPER RAW, tough I prefer to watch the shows on Crunchyroll (like Saint Seiya or Jojo's Bizzare Adventure).
I don't know how the business model works, but for me, the only legal option to watch anime immediately is streaming service and if there is no other option, I am going full pirate!
I wonder, if they will block my country from streaming when the steak hits the pan.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88