Nicktoons Ratings without DBZ.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Nicktoons Ratings without DBZ.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:50 pm

This is so extremely sad to see. I loved how they treated DBZKai, sure its in much better hands now on Adult Swim where its seen by more than a million weekly and it airs uncut to boot. Still I'm pretty sad to see how far they have fallen. I wanted them to be Toonami post Toonami's death in 2008.

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/tvmi ... 2065984246

348,000 (Boomerang)
711,000 (Disney Junior)
548,000 (Nick Jr.)
294,000 (TeenNick)
254,000 (Disney XD)
154,000 (Nicktoons)
151,000 (Discovery Family)

and 8:30 p.m.
631,000 (Disney Junior)
535,000 (Nick Jr.)
414,000 (Boomerang)
215,000 (Disney XD)
177,000 (Discovery Family)
165,000 (Nicktoons)

The highest ever reached by Nicktoons was a DBZKai broadcast with 750K viewers.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Nicktoons Ratings without DBZ.

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:09 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:The highest ever reached by Nicktoons was a DBZKai broadcast with 750K viewers.
That's not true.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:15 am

While I have a lot to say about those measurements I do think its very sad that Nicktoons has fallen so low.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:16 am

its very sad that Nicktoons has fallen so low.
It hasn't.

You guys are looking at incorrect information, or otherwise misunderstanding what the information means.

Beerus' link in fact even has someone POINT OUT the information is wrong.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:21 am

Nicktoons still used to scored much, much higher than 150.000 when they had DBZ. I dont believe that 3.500.000 thing at all. Its still sad to go from 750.000 (DBZKai) and 500.000(Some DBZ Movie) to 150.000

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:29 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Nicktoons still used to scored much, much higher than 150.000 when they had DBZ. I dont believe that 3.500.000 thing at all. Its still sad to go from 750.000 (DBZKai) and 500.000(Some DBZ Movie) to 150.000
Which is partially ignoring the context that airring new content on primetime Saturday night is a nonsense battle that it's generally best to not fight, so they don't. They toss on reruns to mildly expand the reach of a pre-existing Nick show.

They used to give it a go, but it's not worth doing, because they figured out that no matter what they license, they won't ever get past a certain ceiling unless they change the aim of the channel.

The channel does fine for what it is. They tried various experiments, and it never really worked out for them beyond very limited airings of specific shows (and the actual demographics those shows brought generally didn't match what they wanted.)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:42 am

Nicktoons has Spongebob pretty much running 24 hours a day. They can do just fine without DBZ.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:49 am

I know Mr Marc. I just wish Nicktoons was overall higher. I know it has no hope against Adult Swim. Those ratings are for a thursday night at 8 and then 8:30. I'd be happy if it scored a bit more that's all.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:54 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know Mr Marc. I just wish Nicktoons was overall higher. I know it has no hope against Adult Swim. Those ratings are for a thursday night at 8 and then 8:30. I'd be happy if it scored a bit more that's all.
My point is more, the channel isn't MEANT to be highly rated. Random repeats of Spongebob on the channel occasionally go over 700k.

It's specifically a channel not meant to compete. It's effectively alternate choices for if a kid isn't interested in whats on a dozen other channels.

It's why Nick at Night still airs Full House and it still does rather well. It's meant to be an alternative choice, not the thing someone actually intends and plans to watch.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:08 am

No they dont. At most Spongebob gets 400K. You are right in the sense that its a dumpster channel and that how it does isnt really all that important. Even for Viacom. I actually follow the channel and its numbers because I follow Digimon Fusion and Power Rangers. And sure, a bit of nostalgia from the 2010 lol so I follow it in general as well.

Also, Nicktoons is getting more and more anime, and all of it is terribly dubbed. It scored very low in ratings to boot. That's why its so sad.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:07 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:No they dont. At most Spongebob gets 400K.
He doesn't do them anymore, but SotB used to post weekly detailed Nicktoons info, and in the past few years you did occasionally get a random Spongebob episode going that high (I never said it was a normal occurrence, but it did happen.)

It's not really sad when you consider it isn't MEANT to get high ratings. Disney's equivalent generally gets pretty similar numbers, and even their signature new shows (Avengers, Spider-Man, Star Wars) don't often go that much higher.

They're effectively the modern day version of random 80s syndication animation in the USA. It's doing what it's expected to do.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:46 am

Gravity Falls gets 2 million on DXD and DXD exclusive has reached 1.5 million on its first episode. True, Disney actually cares about XD but its sad that a channel that once seemed so promising like Nicktoons is doing so bad.

And yeah. You are right, back when he was allowed to SOTB did show that Spongebob was doing pretty much what you've said it did. But now people are genuinely sick of him. Even Main Nick's numbers have taken a major toll, including Spongebob.Then again, Nicktoons IS a dumpster channel. I wish it wasnt though.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:31 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Gravity Falls gets 2 million on DXD
That was one episode (the season 2 finale (well, mid season finale.) That episode was also after the fact said to be the single highest airing thing in the history of Disney XD (was also abnormal in that they advertised it on Disney Channel, and it even had physical advertisements elsewhere.)

The prior episode premiered on DXD also and didn't even hit 1.2 million.

This was a rare case of trying to toss on something to get people to watch the channel, but invariably they leave once the single thing is over.

(Premiere episodes of season 2 of Gravity Falls bounced between Disney and DXD, and most ratings sites only list the ratings for the premiere airing. DXD premieres were more often than not under 1 million, but occasionally slightly above 1 million and the mid season finale because of heavy advertising got higher.)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:11 am

I have come to the conclusion that you are right, about everything. Still, its sad that this is the state of things. There did seem to be a time when Nicktoons did more than just Spongebob Spamming and getting anime with 4kids tier dubbing.

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:05 am

Please find out what the ratings will be on Phineas and Ferb's 1 hour special episode this Friday...

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:14 pm

MarcFBR wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know Mr Marc. I just wish Nicktoons was overall higher. I know it has no hope against Adult Swim. Those ratings are for a thursday night at 8 and then 8:30. I'd be happy if it scored a bit more that's all.
My point is more, the channel isn't MEANT to be highly rated. Random repeats of Spongebob on the channel occasionally go over 700k.

It's specifically a channel not meant to compete. It's effectively alternate choices for if a kid isn't interested in whats on a dozen other channels.

It's why Nick at Night still airs Full House and it still does rather well. It's meant to be an alternative choice, not the thing someone actually intends and plans to watch.
That seems to indicate "Dragon Ball Z Kai" was never meant to compete that it was intended as an alternate choice. Which given how I feel about "Dragon Ball Z Kai" makes a lot of sense to me.

This would also indicate that how "well" "Dragon Ball Z Kai" did on nick toons is merely anectodatal rather than relevant in terms of viewers tuning in given the channel's "alternate choice" status.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:00 pm

Didn't Nicktoons air the last season of Korra there first since Nick main screwed them over? And the other anime, don't only little kids watch them/know they exist?

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:15 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Didn't Nicktoons air the last season of Korra there first since Nick main screwed them over? And the other anime, don't only little kids watch them/know they exist?
Korra's ratings tanked pretty hard as the show continued on. It was no shock they tried to move and then just went DONE and tossed it online and to NickToons.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:57 pm

Now this looks like a job for Toei, so everybody, just follow me
Cuz Nicktoons need a little DBZ, cuz it feels so empty without....it?

Anyway, as for the topic, I thought the 3,500,000 viewer thing was real. What made people here think it wasn't?
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

StrawHatPatriot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by StrawHatPatriot » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:28 pm

Beerus's link shows that the premiere had 3.4 million.

Is there a link to the rest of the ratings?