"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon May 25, 2015 8:11 am

Analytical Delusion wrote:Thanks VegettoEX for the great comprehensive breakdown!
UpFromTheSkies wrote:Do you know if he had a kyakuhon credit for Dragon Ball Z or Battle of Gods?
From the Kanzenshuu BoG page:

原作・ストーリー・キャラクターデザイン
Original Author, Story, & Character Design
鳥山 明
Akira Toriyama

he doesn't:

脚本
Scenario
渡辺雄介
Yūsuke Watanabe

Nobody seems to get "原案 " credit (unless I'm missing it).
Then we know he could at least have as much involvement with Super as he did with BoG. Does anyone know if he had a kyakuhon credit for Z? If he didn't, then his lack of a kyakuhon credit for Super means nothing, and he could very well be writing almost every detail of the story.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:06 am

Bumping this as a heads-up...

The August 2015 issue of V-Jump (which will have the beginning of the manga adaptation) is already sold out via CDJapan and Play-Asia. If you have a local Kinokuniya you'll probably be able to walk in and buy it within a day or so of release, but for the rest of you...

Amazon Japan finally has pre-orders up. This might be your last chance to get a new copy.

There will be new/used copies on eBay shortly after release, and you'll be able to get copies later on should you put in some extra effort... but save yourself some time and money if you can swing it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:23 am

VegettoEX wrote:Bumping this as a heads-up...

The August 2015 issue of V-Jump (which will have the beginning of the manga adaptation) is already sold out via CDJapan and Play-Asia. If you have a local Kinokuniya you'll probably be able to walk in and buy it within a day or so of release, but for the rest of you...

Amazon Japan finally has pre-orders up. This might be your last chance to get a new copy.

There will be new/used copies on eBay shortly after release, and you'll be able to get copies later on should you put in some extra effort... but save yourself some time and money if you can swing it.
Does Amazon Japan offer multiple types of shipping the way CDJapan does? I'd prefer to not have to rush to the post office if it arrived at a time when I wasn't home. It's why I like the SAL shipping on CDJapan, even if it isn't as fast.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:37 am

Chuquita wrote:Does Amazon Japan offer multiple types of shipping the way CDJapan does? I'd prefer to not have to rush to the post office if it arrived at a time when I wasn't home. It's why I like the SAL shipping on CDJapan, even if it isn't as fast.
Nah, not for international stuff. I had to sign a slip for them to leave a Saikyo Jump issue (which they stuck to the front door). That being said, they'll at least do that (it comes via DHL) rather than leave you a slip and force you to go to the post office. They just re-delivered and left the next day.

And, of course, registering with DHL and digitally signing for packages for them to leave ahead of time works just as well as it does with FedEx, which is to say hahahahahahaha nope.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GreatSaiyaman3Gou

Post by GreatSaiyaman3Gou » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:12 pm

I'm excited for this, I live in a city with Kinokuniya and can just go pick up the issues every (month? week?) My question is, if this is just an adaptation, then there won't be any filler in the show then, right?

Also, what I've noticed about the manga, when it says it debuts in August, I think it means that it debuts in the August issue of the magazine which comes out in July, so in a few weeks the first issue should be out, hopefully before the episode airs...

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Bumping this as a heads-up...

Thanks for sharing that, I just ordered it! I had no idea I could place orders on Amazon Japan with a US credit card and have it shipped to the US, and it's soooo much cheaper than CDJapan and Play-Asia

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 am

Well, mine's ordered. Even with the shipping cost it's not that bad (especially considering I don't see myself buying one every month or anything like that). Will see how amazon.jp works out for me. I use amazon.com all the time, so.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:27 am

Chuquita wrote:Well, mine's ordered. Even with the shipping cost it's not that bad (especially considering I don't see myself buying one every month or anything like that). Will see how amazon.jp works out for me. I use amazon.com all the time, so.
Yeah, it's not bad compared to some other sites. Yes-Asia, I believe it was, was going to charge me close to 30 dollars, which I can't justify spending on one magazine. I wish there was a company that let you buy the magazine each month and then ship them to you after six months, it would save a lot of money.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:45 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Well, mine's ordered. Even with the shipping cost it's not that bad (especially considering I don't see myself buying one every month or anything like that). Will see how amazon.jp works out for me. I use amazon.com all the time, so.
Yeah, it's not bad compared to some other sites. Yes-Asia, I believe it was, was going to charge me close to 30 dollars, which I can't justify spending on one magazine. I wish there was a company that let you buy the magazine each month and then ship them to you after six months, it would save a lot of money.
CDJapan's been my go-to for a while now (before that it was Sagusa--which closed down, and the older version of Kinokuniya's website back when they did ship-to-home orders) and I haven't had a problem with it; I just happened to have forgotten about ordering a copy so when I read they were sold out I decided I would try Amazon.jp after all.

I'll definitely post an update afterward about how this order works out.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

saunasolmu
Beyond Newbie

Post by saunasolmu » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:32 pm

So what day exactly is this coming out and when should we expect leaks at the earliest? Wasn't it supposed to come out this week?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:33 pm

saunasolmu wrote:So what day exactly is this coming out and when should we expect leaks at the earliest? Wasn't it supposed to come out this week?
It releases on Saturday (20th) in Japan, and leaks can show up anytime now.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:13 pm

Thanks VegettoEX for the amazon link! I usualy get it from CDJapan but they sold out quick. Might stick with amazon (as they're shipping seems to be faster...but you dont get points)

Who here's plans on buying VJUMPS once a month now? I already re-rganized my shelf...of which i'll need a bigger one..
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreatSaiyaman3Gou

Post by GreatSaiyaman3Gou » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:03 am

I definitely plan on subscribing. For those of you who are on the fence about subscribing through amazon.jp, there is a store called kinokuniya, which has many US stores and they offer monthly subscriptions for 6-months and 12-months. I don't know how much it is for shipping honestly, because I live in Seattle and can run over to the store out here easily, it gets me out of the house too, but the 6-month is around $60, after taxes, and the 12-month is about $90-100. These are just approximations based off my memory of when I spoke to the person over the phone, but if you are interested, hit them up. www.kinokuniya.com

If V-Jump is a monthly title, which it is, and the anime is weekly, then I'm assuming the manga will either be lacking in content compared to the anime or it might have more content to make up for the lack of weekly releases, yeah? What are your thoughts??

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:51 pm

I'd probly get a subscription but I can't find it on the site.

I hope it's not cut down. I'm getting these as I'm not sure of they'll release volumes late down the road. I think it's safe to say VIZ will get it but it my only be digitally.

Question is how long will the chapter be? The current amount of pages seem short if episodes will be released weakly. I wonder what they have planned. Maybe its for Manga fans? What they did with Revival of F was pretty cool

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:27 pm

Wait what? We're getting leaks of the manga? Sorry kinda confused.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:30 pm

pacz360 wrote:Wait what? We're getting leaks of the manga? Sorry kinda confused.
Due to the fact that it's a print publication and therefore needs to get into hands of stores ahead of time, photographs and scans of these types of magazines invariably begin to leak out ahead of their street date.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:53 pm

Oh okay so what the possible chance of getting it this week?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:30 pm

A question for the admins... when Super fansubs and scanlations begin to appear online, will we be allowed to discuss them, and compare translations between different groups? Or should we just pretend the proverbial elephant in the room doesn't exist, and not discuss them at all?

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:37 am

I just hope the manga adapts the whole series and not a portion of it. I hate that because it always feels incomplete. I'd love to pick up the manga when it comes out over here in the U.S. so I can marvel at the art as I do with most graphic novels I collect.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:10 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:A question for the admins... when Super fansubs and scanlations begin to appear online, will we be allowed to discuss them, and compare translations between different groups? Or should we just pretend the proverbial elephant in the room doesn't exist, and not discuss them at all?
Compare translations? Do you realize what you're asking about? I think the answer's clear as the day.