Japanese kid Vegeta and kid Trunks voices

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB1984
Banned

Japanese kid Vegeta and kid Trunks voices

Post by DB1984 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:36 am

How did they get the respective voices of Ryo Horikawa and Takeshi Kusao to sound like kids for their kid counterparts? Did they speed up their voices (a la Alvin and the Chipmunks)?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Japanese kid Vegeta and kid Trunks voices

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:28 am

I don't know about Vegeta. I'm pretty sure Takeshi Kusao's is natural pitching skill/practice/talent. For how high-pitched he can make his voice, check out "Coco" from "Precure 5". He's the (fox?) mascot character in that.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:25 pm

The actors do a high-pitched voice.

Occam's razor very much applies here.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:57 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:The actors do a high-pitched voice.

Occam's razor very much applies here.
Speeding up voices like the Chipmunks is a simple explanation.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:09 pm

Saying kid Trunks Japanese voice sounds like an actual kid is a bit of a stretch in and of itself. I'm not denying Stakeshi Kusao's talent as an actor, but his young Trunks voice is definitely a weaker part of the original cast.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:21 pm

ParkerAL wrote:Saying kid Trunks Japanese voice sounds like an actual kid is a bit of a stretch in and of itself. I'm not denying Stakeshi Kusao's talent as an actor, but his young Trunks voice is definitely a weaker part of the original cast.
He's obviously doing a voice and not naturally speaking, but "not sounding like a real kid" is a weird complaint to me. He's Trunks, but insanely young. It's no different than, say, Dan Castellaneta doing a high-pitched voice whenever a Simpsons flashback puts Homer in his teens or younger.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzVWBBfDXak 5:32 Kusao-san voice range is really great :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:18 pm

It's been a while since I've heard Horikawa's kid Vegeta, but I don't remember it sounding much different from his normal voice. I know a common complaint is that he doesn't sound like a kid at all.

Humans can naturally alter the pitch of their voice to a certain extent, and professional voice actors are better at it than normal people. One character on Futurama was electronically filtered in their first appearance, but the actor naturally matched the sound of the filter for later appearances. I can't remember which character, but it was either a Maurice Lamarche or Billy West character.

Kusao's kid Trunks definitely just sounds like a natural voice alteration. He's got good range, and I often have trouble recognizing him on other shows.
-Rachel

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:31 pm

Another thing to remember is that Horikawa's natural speaking voice is quite a bit higher than the one he uses for Vegeta. They sound like grown men doing kid voices; I can't imagine there's any post-recording alterations to their performances. Both of them aren't exactly basses, it's not that hard to do.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBalishChannel » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:23 pm

I don't really understand how both the Japanese Kid Vegeta and Kid Trunks voices get a pass even though they don't sound anything like children yet people dog Stephanie Nadolny's Gohan for sounding "too old." The same applies to Peter Kelamis and Kirby Morrow in the few short instances where they play Kid Goku during various flashbacks in Dragon Ball Z.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:47 pm

TheBalishChannel wrote:I don't really understand how both the Japanese Kid Vegeta and Kid Trunks voices get a pass even though they don't sound anything like children yet people dog Stephanie Nadolny's Gohan for sounding "too old." The same applies to Peter Kelamis and Kirby Morrow in the few short instances where they play Kid Goku during various flashbacks in Dragon Ball Z.
They sound better?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:02 pm

I never knew Takeshi Kusao was voice actor for both Future and Kid Trunks. I thought they had two seperate voice actors. :lol:

Funny thing about this topic about Kid Trunks and his voice actor. For the past couple of days I thought if there ever were to be a new voice actor/replacement for Kid Trunks, it should be Mariya Ise. She's the voice actor of Killua fron HxH (2011) and she would really be perfect for Kid Trunks.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:50 pm

Kid Trunks' voice is fine. Vegeta's... well...

https://youtu.be/GMQJG_HQVfw?t=1m19s

Sounds like he's at least 16.

Could be worse. If anyone remembers the Assassination of the Uchiha Clan in Naruto, hearing Itachi at 13 sounding 30. :problem:
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:04 pm

Jaetinh wrote:Funny thing about this topic about Kid Trunks and his voice actor. For the past couple of days I thought if there ever were to be a new voice actor/replacement for Kid Trunks, it should be Mariya Ise. She's the voice actor of Killua fron HxH (2011) and she would really be perfect for Kid Trunks.
For sure. Mariya Ise is an amazing talent. Not only can she do a fitting boy's voice, but she can even maintain it perfectly while singing. I'd love to see her land a Dragon Ball-related role.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:23 pm

ABED wrote:
TheBalishChannel wrote:I don't really understand how both the Japanese Kid Vegeta and Kid Trunks voices get a pass even though they don't sound anything like children yet people dog Stephanie Nadolny's Gohan for sounding "too old." The same applies to Peter Kelamis and Kirby Morrow in the few short instances where they play Kid Goku during various flashbacks in Dragon Ball Z.
They sound better?
Simple, it's easier to bash something in one's own language than in another.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:51 pm

^ Still doesn't stop them from sounding better than their English counterparts.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:13 pm

It's harder to go into detail with things of this nature, but Nadolny... just wasn't very good? "You don't sound a certain a way" was never the problem. "You aren't good at acting" was the problem. I'm specifically talking about Dragon Ball Z here; slight improvements in video games notwithstanding.

Takeshi Kusao is not "given a pass" for not sounding like an actual child because this is a show about alien monkeys punching each other.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Demon of Light
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Demon of Light » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:10 am

If people are allowed to complain that Masako Nozawa voices Goku, Gohan and Goten even when they're adults, then people are allowed to complain that Stephanie Nadolny's Gohan sounds too old.

Besides, the Funi dub has women trying to pass off as young boys, with varying levels of success. Horikawa and Kusao (and for that matter, Nozawa and Mayumi Tanaka) know they aren't fooling anyone, and continue to voice their characters in different ages because they're the best fit for the roles.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:42 pm

THe voice of young boys for cartoons are performed by women. It's one of those things you just have to accept.

Demon of Light
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Demon of Light » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:26 pm

ABED wrote:THe voice of young boys for cartoons are performed by women. It's one of those things you just have to accept.
So it's valid to criticize them when they aren't doing a good job at passing as boys, then, isn't it?