What do you hope for in Super's main antagonist?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What do you hope for in Super's main antagonist?

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:26 am

I'd like to see someone who personality wise takes his job really seriously in that he doesn't just destroy or spare planets on a whim like Beerus has shown to do but rather actually sees the good and bad parts of a planets society, their potential then carefully judges them with all this in mind. I'd also like for Beerus' whole hand in the destruction of Planet Vegeta to be addressed and no, the cute little gag in RoF doesn't count for me. I want Vegeta to learn about it and have an actual, honest to God plot line dealing with it and not just a two second gag.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Sun Wukong
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sun Wukong » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:46 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:And the list goes on, I believe. Then there's the matter of personality, which is a different story. But, for the most part, what sort of antagonist do YOU want to see in Super?

Me, I guess I'd want a combination of 1 and 5. Someone who wants to do something, such as merging all the universes, because he feels entitled, but isn't really evil himself (or believes himself to be, anyways). A patient, maybe even soft-spoken fighter who's wise, incredibly strong, honorable in battle, and loves fighting as much as Goku (warlord in a way). Also ruthless in the sense that he has no problem purging the universes of sentient life to accomplish his goals, seeing his actions as serving towards a greater good.
So basically someone who is fighting for their own sense of justice which is different from the z fighters and the kaioshins like King Kai & Supereme Kai? That would be nice.

I have had somewhat of a similar idea of The demon realm & the kaioshin clashing for control of the universe(s) leading to things spiraling out of control for everyone. Strong beings from the mortal realms (that Beerus' mentioned some being greater than him and his kind) wanting to merge all of creation into one big block. Have 4-5 plot paths going not just 1.

The antagonist I want to see in super would probably someone like, Skull face from MGS V, Hei Long from FSJ, Thunder/ Boss from CoD, Ah Ghou/Wu Geng/SiWang Yenshen from FSJ, Batman from Dark Knight Crusader ( I believe if I remember right), the G-man from HL, or from RL some one like Sargon would be a nice change of pace.
"I was born in a small village. I was still a child when we were raided by soldiers. Foreign soldiers. Torn from my elders, I was made to speak their language. With each new post my masters changed. Along with the words they made me speak. With each change, I changed too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw right and wrong. Words - can - kill."
—Skull Face

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:28 am

You know what would be neat? If Shisami was wished back, and it turned out he was a super prodigy like Freeza (being able to go from Zarbon/Dodoria level to Buu arc Piccolo level with 4 months of training), then he trains even more and becomes a main antagonist. Or maybe changes sides and becomes an ally.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:03 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:You know what would be neat? If Shisami was wished back, and it turned out he was a super prodigy like Freeza (being able to go from Zarbon/Dodoria level to Buu arc Piccolo level with 4 months of training), then he trains even more and becomes a main antagonist. Or maybe changes sides and becomes an ally.
If only he had a less generic-looking design, I wouldn't really mind it.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:51 pm

Maybe he could have a transformation.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:44 pm

I'm split--on one hand, something tells me Toriyama's schtick is becoming "expect the unexpected". It was like that during the original run, but for some reason it's feeling a bit more forced lately. For example, Super Saiyan God being skinny and non-threatening looking instead of bulky and bad ass... Freeza's gold form being relatively simple... etc. But I also don't want another down-the-line, one-dimensional evil guy either.

I'm actually expecting a cute villain. We haven't really had one of those yet.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:46 pm

Thanos wrote:
*Stares at my avatar* ;_;
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:49 pm

I think Boo is cute... :shifty:

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:53 pm

Doctor. wrote:I think Boo is cute... :shifty:
He's not cute in the traditional sense. He's more endearing than anything. He's innocent in a way, but not particularly cute...
fadeddreams5 wrote:*Stares at my avatar* ;_;
Since I always contend that most movie villains are simply cheap knock-offs of the main villains, my answer above applies to him, too.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:04 am

18 is cute... :mrgreen:

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:58 pm

I really want something different. Something we've never seen before.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanos wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I think Boo is cute... :shifty:
He's not cute in the traditional sense. He's more endearing than anything. He's innocent in a way, but not particularly cute...
fadeddreams5 wrote:*Stares at my avatar* ;_;
Since I always contend that most movie villains are simply cheap knock-offs of the main villains, my answer above applies to him, too.
How dare you. Fat Janemba is nothing like Buu! He's more like a fat, reality warping, Armageddon-inducing Pokemon!!!

Even Goku calls him cute. Hmph.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:10 pm

All i want to see is a Villain that can't regenerate when they get shot. It kills a lot of the fun of fighting when the villain can regenerate.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:35 pm

I would like a being from another universe, could be be a God, could be something else, come to universe 7 as a straight (wo)man, someone who utterly fails to comprehend the underlying joke of the Dragon Ball universe and cannot accept a reality in which bozos like Goku and Beerus are unchecked titans of universe. Thus begins a conflict of principle that ends on some sort of compromise, as we cannot have someone saying the universe is flawed without some obvious, discrediting, self-serving motive and then die for it, too dark for this show. Preferably involving Grand Kai, as he seems to be the only god in the universe who has no issues with how utterly screwball Dragon Ball is. Frankly Dragon Ball already makes fun of itself so much that I do not think a character built around it would be too much.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Thanos wrote:
Janemba is kind of a perfected Buu in that regard; Buu looks like a baby and acts a child, but clear as day meant to be unnerving, because you don't know what is actually going on in that noggin. Versus Janemba who is basically belching and tripping over himself like an actual baby.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:27 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Thanos wrote:
Janemba is kind of a perfected Buu in that regard; Buu looks like a baby and acts a child, but clear as day meant to be unnerving, because you don't know what is actually going on in that noggin. Versus Janemba who is basically belching and tripping over himself like an actual baby.
Janemba is a baby. He was born that same day. Buu is literally the oldest character in existence; he's just a clueless fatso with the personality of an 8 year old. In the Japanese version, he does not even have a cute, squeaky voice, so he's the opposite of cute, imo.

They are not that alike if you look passed the concept of "unassuming in appearance, but dangerous."

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:53 pm

I think we've established that we've yet to have a consistently cute villain. I actually find Beerus has his adorable moments, such as when he grooms and does general cat-like things, but as a rule he isn't at all cute (endearing at best) and isn't a villain in the traditional sense.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:45 pm

"Cute" like Nui Harime from Kill la Kill "cute"?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:54 pm

With universe being perhaps an alt universe. Y'all think we'll get a basic Evil Goku as a bad guy?

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:57 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:With universe being perhaps an alt universe. Y'all think we'll get a basic Evil Goku as a bad guy?
I hope not. I know a lot of people want this, but it's as cliche as it gets, and honestly... uninteresting, imo. You know, unless they give him the same traits as Goku, ultimately making him an incompetent villain like Pilaf. But then hardcore Dee Bee Zee fans would argue over how lame he is, and how Toriyama needs to jump off a cliff.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:59 pm

I was saying Kid Boo was cute... not Fat Boo :shifty: