DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Flame Dragon
Regular

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Flame Dragon » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:22 am

The Desert Bandit wrote:I'm sorry if my previous posts came off as "Hurr durr! Yamcha's my favorite character, therefore he can't be made fun of! Durr!" I sometimes have trouble expressing myself properly, which sometimes leads to misunderstandings.

DBZfan7 is basically stating my exact thoughts. I admit, I laughed at first when Yamcha was made fun off. I laughed when Vegeta compared Yamcha to Raditz and when Super Kami Guru called him disappointing, among other jokes that mocked him. However, come the end of the Freeza Saga, the jokes felt a bit excessive. Literally, every joke that had to do with Yamcha was mocking him.

Sure, Krillin was also mocked numerous times in TFS Abridged. However, Krillin also makes witty jokes or does/says other things silly or hilarious. With Yamcha, EVERY joke Namek Saga forward, was a joke mocking him. Even in the Freeza Saga where Krillin was most made fun of, a lot jokes involving him were wisecracks or him simply being hilarious without being mocked. If you look at every joke that made fun of Krillin, there were gaps in between each of them where Krillin would make clever jokes or do/say anything else considered funny. That isn't the case with Yamcha.

There is nothing wrong with TFS mocking Yamcha, but if they keep doing it so many times in a row with no bones being thrown or no other kinds of humor being squeezed out from him, it kinda comes off as hate and ends up being excessive. I'd feel concerned and bad for Krillin if he was only mocked with no other jokes coming from him or bones being thrown his way. And I'm pretty confident all the Krillin fans out there would feel the same if they saw him ONLY being bashed whenever he's even mentioned.
But there's nothing they can do for Yamcha. The official source material is treating him like shit.

Saiyan Saga:
-Trains against Saiyans, gets killed instantly by Saibaman

Namek Saga:
- Does nothing. (Filler Ginyu fight doesn't count, nor his training with Kaio, since they don't learn anything and it never comes into play)

Android/Cell saga:
- Gets wrecked by Gero instantly.
- Brings Goku back home.
- Does nothing else. (His contribution against Cell's beam struggle was filler)

Buu Saga:
- Does nothing except die. (Scenes in the Afterlife were filler)

I get your point, trust me. But to do what you want, they would have to make shit up. There's no way they can throw a bone to Yamcha.

The Desert Bandit
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Desert Bandit » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:39 am

Flame Dragon wrote:
But there's nothing they can do for Yamcha. The official source material is treating him like shit.

Saiyan Saga:
-Trains against Saiyans, gets killed instantly by Saibaman

Namek Saga:
- Does nothing. (Filler Ginyu fight doesn't count, nor his training with Kaio, since they don't learn anything and it never comes into play)

Android/Cell saga:
- Gets wrecked by Gero instantly.
- Brings Goku back home.
- Does nothing else. (His contribution against Cell's beam struggle was filler)

Buu Saga:
- Does nothing except die. (Scenes in the Afterlife were filler)

I get your point, trust me. But to do what you want, they would have to make shit up. There's no way they can throw a bone to Yamcha.
TFS has included filler before, such as the killer crab, Arlia, Princess Snake, and even the Ginyu Force arriving on King Kai's planet. Maybe as an idea, when someone brings up Yamcha dying because of the Saibaman again, he can bring up a flashback, which shows the fight between him and the latter. While Yamcha did die due to the Saibaman, he actually defeated it in the fight preceeding the kamikaze.

They could also has Yamcha express bravery helping in the Cell beam struggle, because again, TFS has included filler numerous times before. Same case for the Cell Jr. fight.
PSN: Jak1739
I'm always up for Xenoverse battles!
Xenoverse character name: Aros
Race: Earthling

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:56 am

KaiserNeko wrote:Don't be. It will almost certainly be the most farcical of all our movies. ... so, I mean, maybe DO look forward to it, if silliness if your game.

I don't get it the part "if silliness if your game"

And nah, I usually enjoy all the things you guys do, but I can say that have some that I may prefer best :lol:
Last edited by Noah on Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:09 pm

Look, at least give Yamcha some wit like Krillin. Krillin is always witty and smart despite being the butt monkey, therefore it doesn't come off as bad. Krillin holds his own in insulting others as they insult him, yet Yamcha doesn't get any of that.

Te believe that Yamcha's role by staying with Goku as he is ill as a "useless" gesture is stupid. He's a great friend and without Yamcha, Goku would HAVE DIED! Yamcha knew what to do (since he was there when Trunks gave him the medicine) and he got Goku home safely and made sure Goku got his medicine properly. ChiChi is useless as a wife because she could not take care of Goku properly without Yamcha.

I mean, hell, it would be great for at the very end of the series to give Yamcha the last laugh (such as how Gohan and Goten look like Yamcha or emulate his style). That would be amazing if TFS could pull it off. I know Kaiser won't, cause despite criticism he sticks to his guns about things, like with Yamcha, and goes further with his ideas rather than cave into fan demand. I respect that but sometimes I wish he would at least take it in mind. He did not listen to us about Yamcha and made his character even more of a "loser" after the Freeza arc despite people pleading for TFS not to do just that. I stopped watching because the jokes became a bit too cruel to be funny, despite it being fiction. Funny is funny; shitting on something is not funny, it is cheap.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:25 pm

It's not something big, but I've always found it funny when Yamcha started counting how many seconds Goku could scream continuously. I'm not sure how someone could interpret that as something against Yamcha's character, really.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:02 pm

To be fair the franchise itself treat Yamcha as a joke. Almost every game makes him a joke. Hell Xenoverse had to mock his death. He's a laughing stock. It's just Yamcha Lol. DbzA is FAR from the worse treatment Yamcha have gotten.
Goten look like Yamcha or emulate his style
No...Noo. Goten looked nothing like Yamcha. Just because their hair is down..doesn't make it the same. It's not even the same hair style. Gohan I can easily see though. It's like saying Vegeta and Gohan have same hair because it stands up.

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:17 pm

I hate to interrupt the whole Yamcha debate but... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfxzZcz7wng
Dumplin gets more screen time outside of his playthrough! :D

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:53 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote:I hate to interrupt the whole Yamcha debate but... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfxzZcz7wng
TFS continued Dumplin adventures after finishing the main plot?! :shock:
I didn't know this!

*Favorites and watches a couple, plans to watch the rest later in the week.*
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:09 am

Goten look like Yamcha or emulate his style
No...Noo. Goten looked nothing like Yamcha. Just because their hair is down..doesn't make it the same. It's not even the same hair style. Gohan I can easily see though. It's like saying Vegeta and Gohan have same hair because it stands up.
Bro, you know and I know Yamcha has got style and some badass hair when it is long. Gohan obviously knows this is true, and Goten too! Long hair is badass, especially when its got flow like Yamcha's! :lol:

But seriously, Gohan really does have the exact same hair styles as Yamcha barring his mushroom cut.

I need Yamcha to have the last laugh at least with somebody!

I just caught up with the series after a long hiatus after being disappointed with the way the Cyborg arc was turning out. However, the stuff with Cell I found was really tasetful for the most part (disliking Yamcha getting verbally owned by Krillin at the end with Roshi siding with Krillin; I would have loved Roshi to be a bit cheeky towards Krillin). But the rest was actually really good. I was pleasantly surprised. A few things have jokes that reference something that happened as a, then, current event, and as time passes further, those jokes will become unfunny and unknown (like Naruto ending at the time of one of the episodes made where One Piece is still going on). Not fond of those kind of jokes since they make the show become very dated over time.

It also feels like Tenshinhan is the voice of reason for Earthling fans. He wants to be relevant and ki/battle power levels don't mean anything to him. As long as the series gives him heart to fight alongside the main cast, damn it, he will! I love his character in these episodes. It is a step up from his iterations in TFS' Saiyan arc stuff with him. But Yamcha guys... you give everyone else a shining part but him! I get that the series doesn't offer him much, but there are still some great scenes left with him where you can (like Yamcha beating Vegeta in a verbal contest in the anime before the Cell games begin) give him a chance to shine.

I cannot wait for Vegeta being humiliated though. That stuff is great and he deserves every bad thing that happens to him (and I like Vegeta's character, mostly as a bad guy, but still).
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:08 pm

You know going by the manga Yamcha was actually the first character to ever defeat Goku in a fight (Goku was weakened from hunger but still).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:13 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:You know going by the manga Yamcha was actually the first character to ever defeat Goku in a fight (Goku was weakened from hunger but still).
Actually it was a draw. Yamcha was the first to make Goku feel physical pain outside of gags.
Goten too! Long hair is badass, especially when its got flow like Yamcha's! :lol:
This

Looks nothing like

Except that the hair was down.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:00 pm

That just proves how much cooler Yamcha looks compared to Goten, a cheap imitation of both Goku and Yamcha :lol:

Seriously, Yamcha has such a unique look that it is a shame that he is so underutilized. We get more Goku clones that get more screen time than Yamcha! That... that doesn't make any sense.

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:03 pm

Chuquita wrote:
BlazingBarrrager wrote:I hate to interrupt the whole Yamcha debate but... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfxzZcz7wng
TFS continued Dumplin adventures after finishing the main plot?! :shock:
I didn't know this!

*Favorites and watches a couple, plans to watch the rest later in the week.*
Broli calling Dumplin cute. I don't know whether to find that funny, or terrifying.

The Desert Bandit
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Desert Bandit » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:39 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Those are some really cool Yamcha images you've got there!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:51 pm

The Desert Bandit wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
If you think that look like Yamcha then I don't know what to tell you :lol:
Attitudefan wrote:That just proves how much cooler Yamcha looks compared to Goten, a cheap imitation of both Goku and Yamcha :lol:

Seriously, Yamcha has such a unique look that it is a shame that he is so underutilized. We get more Goku clones that get more screen time than Yamcha! That... that doesn't make any sense.
Goten > Goku. Goten didn't Yamcha his hair. It's basically Goku hair but brush or comb down. So actually Goten being unique. Unlike Gohan who's Yamcha son. Though I agree Yamcha design is too cool for him to suck so fucking bad(both in DBZA and DBZ). Goten, Bardock, and Tullence all deserve more screen time than Yamcha. Especially DbzA Yamcha :lol:

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:01 pm

To think Yamcha would be more important than this post I just made.
BlazingBarrrager wrote:Broli calling Dumplin cute. I don't know whether to find that funny, or terrifying.
Guess that means we're making progress? XD

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:09 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote:
BlazingBarrrager wrote:Broli calling Dumplin cute. I don't know whether to find that funny, or terrifying.

Are you... Talking to yourself? :wtf:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:13 am

Noah wrote:
BlazingBarrrager wrote:

Are you... Talking to yourself? :wtf:
Cue Hysterical Laughter, now.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:16 am

He is talking about his other post.
BlazingBarrrager wrote:To think Yamcha would be more important than this post I just made.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

The Desert Bandit
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Desert Bandit » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:06 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
The Desert Bandit wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
If you think that look like Yamcha then I don't know what to tell you :lol:
You mean that's not Yamcha!? 0.0