Toryiama interview about Vegeta's death

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Toryiama interview about Vegeta's death

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:54 pm

There's an interview on this site where Toriyama said he likes to betray fan expectations and citing an example of him killing Vegeta just because fans were telling him not to kill Vegeta. Did we ever find out if this was a reference to his Namek arc death or his Buu arc death?
Last edited by Kid Buu on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Toryiama interview about Vegeta's death

Post by Noah » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:30 pm

I don't really care much about "Vegeta's death" in this movie... It wasn't tragical or even something sensitive I think, I would like he to battle with a fully powered Golden Freeza, that would be nice

And should have interview about power levels in RoF that are kind messed up, I would like Toriyama to give us some answers
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:49 am

Noah wrote:And should have interview about power levels in RoF that are kind messed up, I would like Toriyama to give us some answers
And I would like to win the lottery today, but that's probably not going to happen either. :P
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:18 am

Noah wrote:I don't really care much about "Vegeta's death" in this movie... It wasn't tragical or even something sensitive I think, I would like he to battle with a fully powered Golden Freeza, that would be nice

And should have interview about power levels in RoF that are kind messed up, I would like Toriyama to give us some answers
Personally, I don't really understand why people are blaming Toriyama for the whole consistency stuff. I mean wasn't that stuff up to Toei in the first place? I mean do we even know how much input Toriyama has had on everything? From what I recall based on my random skimming of Kanzenshuu information Toriyama seems to have said in some random that he's glad that he doesn't need to work on consistency that much because Toei is handling the material and that he was just said to written a very basic script of the Dragon Ball Z plot. Heck, wasn't it someone else's idea to resurrect Freeza in the first place? I mean I may be wrong and if I am please correct me but I honestly feel like the whole Toriyama involvement thing has gone a bit overboard.

Anyways, going back to the main topic. Regarding the interview, I honestly wouldn't know given the time of the interview and whatnot... Maybe it was both. It could have started with the Vegeta on Namek and then continued on to the Boo arc. Heck it could even be argued that Toriyama's words still carried over onto the new movie with SSGSS having blue hair and introducing Goku with it instead of Vegeta who we all pegged as the front runner for Super Saiyan blue hair.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:05 am

The Tori-bot wrote:
Noah wrote:And should have interview about power levels in RoF that are kind messed up, I would like Toriyama to give us some answers
And I would like to win the lottery today, but that's probably not going to happen either. :P
Oh! Look, we got a funny guy right there.
dae428 wrote:Personally, I don't really understand why people are blaming Toriyama for the whole consistency stuff. I mean wasn't that stuff up to Toei in the first place? I mean do we even know how much input Toriyama has had on everything? From what I recall based on my random skimming of Kanzenshuu information Toriyama seems to have said in some random that he's glad that he doesn't need to work on consistency that much because Toei is handling the material and that he was just said to written a very basic script of the Dragon Ball Z plot. Heck, wasn't it someone else's idea to resurrect Freeza in the first place? I mean I may be wrong and if I am please correct me but I honestly feel like the whole Toriyama involvement thing has gone a bit overboard.

Wasn't Toriyama in charge of the movie script? I don't know I think he need an assistant, someone that knows the manga from volume 1 to 42.
Yes the whole idea "Freeza's Revival" is been in a lot of fanfics before, just search it.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:28 am

Kid Buu wrote:Also I love how Toriyama has Freeza kill Vegeta again in the new film despite the hype for Vegeta to win there. Still betraying our expectations! :lol:
Aha! Oh that Toriyama, the fans wanted something interesting and new, but he sure showed us!

Saago
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Saago » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:28 pm

Are Resurrection F spoilers perfectly fine now or what? I mean, the movie hasn't been released in many countries, was only released in its home country two months ago and there hasn't even been a domestic release anywhere in the world, yet as of late it seems the events of the movie are being openly and casually discussed, everywhere in the forum, as if it were the Red Ribbon arc. I don't think that using the spoiler tag when discussing the movie outside the official post would have been too difficult?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:54 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:Also I love how Toriyama has Freeza kill Vegeta again in the new film despite the hype for Vegeta to win there. Still betraying our expectations! :lol:
Aha! Oh that Toriyama, the fans wanted something interesting and new, but he sure showed us!
I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say, but if you're trying to criticize the new films for being formulaic, then that is just how DB is. The manga was like that too.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Saago wrote:Are Resurrection F spoilers perfectly fine now or what? I mean, the movie hasn't been released in many countries, was only released in its home country two months ago and there hasn't even been a domestic release anywhere in the world, yet as of late it seems the events of the movie are being openly and casually discussed, everywhere in the forum, as if it were the Red Ribbon arc. I don't think that using the spoiler tag when discussing the movie outside the official post would have been too difficult?
Yeah, I'm really sick of entering seemingly unrelated threads, and then suddenly being hit with a spoiler. It's been going on even before the movie was released.

It's also happening some in the Super thread. Super spoilers are expected, but Super isn't Resurrection F (unless it treads that route or whatever).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:42 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say, but if you're trying to criticize the new films for being formulaic, then that is just how DB is. The manga was like that too.
And a series can't break its own mold because....?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:51 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kid Buu wrote: I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say, but if you're trying to criticize the new films for being formulaic, then that is just how DB is. The manga was like that too.
And a series can't break its own mold because....?
He wasn't implying that. He was saying that, since DB has always been formulaic, you shouldn't expect it.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:21 pm

Noah wrote:
dae428 wrote:Personally, I don't really understand why people are blaming Toriyama for the whole consistency stuff. I mean wasn't that stuff up to Toei in the first place? I mean do we even know how much input Toriyama has had on everything? From what I recall based on my random skimming of Kanzenshuu information Toriyama seems to have said in some random that he's glad that he doesn't need to work on consistency that much because Toei is handling the material and that he was just said to written a very basic script of the Dragon Ball Z plot. Heck, wasn't it someone else's idea to resurrect Freeza in the first place? I mean I may be wrong and if I am please correct me but I honestly feel like the whole Toriyama involvement thing has gone a bit overboard.

Wasn't Toriyama in charge of the movie script? I don't know I think he need an assistant, someone that knows the manga from volume 1 to 42.
Yes the whole idea "Freeza's Revival" is been in a lot of fanfics before, just search it.
Not really sure what you're getting at. If anything I was in agreement with you in regards to Toriyama getting some sort of assistance in regards to consistency of story. And while I have yet to actually get my hands on the script and read it, I honestly doubt it's really all that detailed in regards to the specific details. I'm pretty sure Kanzenshuu covered it at some point as well. Same with the whole Freeza returning for the movie possibly not even being Toriyama's idea in the first place. Just search it.

Anyways, my main point was that I feel that Toriyama's been getting a bit too much attention in regards to fan criticism. Ultimately, I feel that it's the director's job to handle the material he or she is given in order to create a film that is his or her own vision. While I am not completely sure how far this goes in terms of animated movies compared to live action, this is my take on the matter. However, even then there are many, many factors to take into account, so it's often difficult and sometimes rather absurd to point all the blame or attention on a single person.

Well I've gone off-topic long enough. I'll show myself out.

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:23 pm

Saago wrote:Are Resurrection F spoilers perfectly fine now or what? I mean, the movie hasn't been released in many countries, was only released in its home country two months ago and there hasn't even been a domestic release anywhere in the world, yet as of late it seems the events of the movie are being openly and casually discussed, everywhere in the forum, as if it were the Red Ribbon arc. I don't think that using the spoiler tag when discussing the movie outside the official post would have been too difficult?
I'm also not happy with getting nailed by that spoiler :/. I've just been trying to avoid this site altogether and figures the one time I'm bored at work and click a random thread....

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:33 pm

I added a spoiler tag. Now can we get back on-topic?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:45 pm

dae428 wrote:Not really sure what you're getting at. If anything I was in agreement with you in regards to Toriyama getting some sort of assistance in regards to consistency of story. And while I have yet to actually get my hands on the script and read it, I honestly doubt it's really all that detailed in regards to the specific details. I'm pretty sure Kanzenshuu covered it at some point as well. Same with the whole Freeza returning for the movie possibly not even being Toriyama's idea in the first place. Just search it.

Anyways, my main point was that I feel that Toriyama's been getting a bit too much attention in regards to fan criticism. Ultimately, I feel that it's the director's job to handle the material he or she is given in order to create a film that is his or her own vision. While I am not completely sure how far this goes in terms of animated movies compared to live action, this is my take on the matter. However, even then there are many, many factors to take into account, so it's often difficult and sometimes rather absurd to point all the blame or attention on a single person.

Well I've gone off-topic long enough. I'll show myself out.
Oh! It wasn't his idea in the first place? Hell, only though about bring Freeza back because of a wacky song. I said that Toriyama indeed need an assistant cause he keep forgeting stuff, I know he doesn't give a damn about consistency but we fans do, he could respect us in that point, that's what I mean.

But okay I got your point too, you're saying that Toriyama is not in charge of everything, so if his directors are incompetent, that is not really his fault, and the story details may be prejudiced
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs