Does db-super take place before the movies (BOG, ROF)?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tectorman
Regular

Re: Does db-super take place before the movies (BOG, ROF)?

Post by Tectorman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:33 pm

From the Main Page:
Super SCOOP!! #1
Dragon Ball Super is set slightly after the showdown with Majin Buu!

Dragon Ball Super is a gem of an original story, from an original draft provided by manga author Akira Toriyama-sensei! This series is a super tale that depicts what happens “afterwards” to Goku and the gang following the titanic battle with Majin Buu, and links up with the movies Battle of Gods and Revival of “F”!!
To me, it seems that the series starts out after the Buu fight but before BoG (maybe concurrently with Yo Son Goku!), leads up to BoG, goes into their adventures between BoG and RoF, and then continues forward. So we might have a couple of minor time skips or something.
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:45 pm

Doesn't matter. The mindset of Akira Toriyama back in the 1980's/1990's is what's canon. Not this crap. :thumbup:

Weedity

Post by Weedity » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:43 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Doesn't matter. The mindset of Akira Toriyama back in the 1980's/1990's is what's canon. Not this crap. :thumbup:
BoG, RoF, and Super are far from "crap"

Also, wouldn't this thread work better in the Drago Ball Super section of the forums? This has been debated already. It's almost definitely taking place before the two movies and right after the Buu saga.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:09 pm

Weedity wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Doesn't matter. The mindset of Akira Toriyama back in the 1980's/1990's is what's canon. Not this crap. :thumbup:
BoG, RoF, and Super are far from "crap"

Also, wouldn't this thread work better in the Drago Ball Super section of the forums? This has been debated already. It's almost definitely taking place before the two movies and right after the Buu saga.
To me, these installments are overhyped and retarded. Dragon Ball Z had a lot more realism back in the days. The story was more exciting when people actually died and it didn't take twenty-three years for the author to make an unoriginal story :).

It's hard to accept a joke film like Revival of Freeza, a character who was miraculously brought back to life stronger than ever with a golden paint job. Oh man, and let's not forget about that SUPER SAIYAN GOD MODE swag.

Toei and Toriyama went too far and created too many plot holes for me to even take this seriously (as if it even mattered).
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:51 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Dragon Ball Z had a lot more realism back in the days.
Yeah, Dragon Ball Z was very realistic. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go train in an environment that has ten times the gravity of Earth, because if Yamcha can handle that shit, so can I.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Yeah, Dragon Ball Z was very realistic. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go train in an environment that has ten times the gravity of Earth, because if Yamcha can handle that shit, so can I.
I tried. I'm dead now. Typing from the Other World. Revive me, pls.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:35 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
I tried. I'm dead now. Typing from the Other World. Revive me, pls.
Hold on. Let me go get my Dragon Ball Radar and then buy a capsule from my local store that has a ready-to-go airplane inside of it and find the Dragon Balls for ya. It'll be no more than a few minutes.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:41 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
More realism means that there were arms being cut off or blown off and a show of excessive violence and blood content. I never said it was realistic now did I? I said it only had more realism when compared to the newer installments. :clap: Good job.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:56 pm

To me, these installments are overhyped and retarded. Dragon Ball Z had a lot more realism back in the days. The story was more exciting when people actually died and it didn't take twenty-three years for the author to make an unoriginal story :).
Retarded? Becase these films are real people. Good use of a word there. People actually died sure and then they were suddenly bought back to life one way or another, hell Master Roshi is still alive!! And in "F"
It's hard to accept a joke film like Revival of Freeza, a character who was miraculously brought back to life stronger than ever with a golden paint job. Oh man, and let's not forget about that SUPER SAIYAN GOD MODE swag.
Right because Goku going angry and suddenly have gold hair and able to beat Freeza up was no different was it?
Toei and Toriyama went too far and created too many plot holes for me to even take this seriously (as if it even mattered).
Please list all of the plot holes these movies have created. At best they are minor inconsistencies.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:08 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Retarded? Becase these films are real people. Good use of a word there. People actually died sure and then they were suddenly bought back to life one way or another, hell Master Roshi is still alive!! And in "F"
Right because Goku going angry and suddenly have gold hair and able to beat Freeza up was no different was it?
Please list all of the plot holes these movies have created. At best they are minor inconsistencies.
This is my opinion buddy. Nobody is forcing you to take offense to it. You're doing this to yourself.
My YouTube

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:25 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
More realism means that there were arms being cut off or blown off and a show of excessive violence and blood content. I never said it was realistic now did I? I said it only had more realism when compared to the newer installments. :clap: Good job.
Dragon Ball 99.9% of the time defies realism. Hell, most of the rules that Dragon Ball create eventually get broken and replaced with new rules... which get broken again.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:33 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Is the gaping hole in Goku's chest not realism enough for you? Do you need Kuririn to be skewered on a horn again?

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:23 pm

Hitiro wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: More realism means that there were arms being cut off or blown off and a show of excessive violence and blood content. I never said it was realistic now did I? I said it only had more realism when compared to the newer installments. :clap: Good job.
Is the gaping hole in Goku's chest not realism enough for you? Do you need Kuririn to be skewered on a horn again?
Your desperate attempt to sarcastically insult me on a subject that's very easy to comprehend makes no sense to me at all. I recommend that you watch DBZ (assuming you haven't watched it) and then re-read my comment regarding lesser violent/blood content in the twenty-six years later installments.
My YouTube

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:47 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Hitiro wrote:Is the gaping hole in Goku's chest not realism enough for you? Do you need Kuririn to be skewered on a horn again?
Your desperate attempt to sarcastically insult me on a subject that's very easy to comprehend makes no sense to me at all. I recommend that you watch DBZ (assuming you haven't watched it) and then re-read my comment regarding lesser violent/blood content in the twenty-six years later installments.
Yeah, they've really started censoring Things. Even Goku's gaping hole in the newest movie features no blood and reminds me a bit of his edited chest hole in Kai.
It's just not the same as before...

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:35 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Where's the favorite button? :lol:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:53 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Next to the muffin button in the capsule corp spaceship.

Alternatively, you can sig the quote.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:59 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
You forgot to mention the part where I explain that more realism meant more blood and violent content. But it's ok, there's a learning curb for everything.
My YouTube

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:04 pm

You're all completely out of line. The sarcasm, insults, and derogatory language are all valid for account strikes (which I will begin issuing upon further review).

If you value your time here at all, knock it off immediately. Account strikes add up to temporary/permanent bans, which revoke access to the entirety of the website.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:45 pm

VegettoEX wrote:You're all completely out of line. The sarcasm, insults, and derogatory language are all valid for account strikes (which I will begin issuing upon further review).

If you value your time here at all, knock it off immediately. Account strikes add up to temporary/permanent bans, which revoke access to the entirety of the website.
To be honest, Mike, it doesn't make any sense to me when people can make snarky remarks toward my opinion and then use it in their signature without acknowledging my clarification with said statement and not get in trouble, but when I simply let DoomieDoomie911 know that he/she forgot to mention the rest of what I said, I am a victim. Why?

I've played disc golf with my Marines many times and I've heard them say that there's a learning curb. There's nothing snarky meant by it. But if it helps any, next time this happens, I will let you know and hope that they will be punished accordingly for their inappropriate behavior.
My YouTube

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:14 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:You're all completely out of line. The sarcasm, insults, and derogatory language are all valid for account strikes (which I will begin issuing upon further review).

To be honest, Mike, it doesn't make any sense to me when people can make snarky remarks toward my opinion and then use it in their signature without acknowledging my clarification with said statement and not get in trouble, but when I simply let DoomieDoomie911 know that he/she forgot to mention the rest of what I said, I am a victim. Why?

I've played disc golf with my Marines many times and I've heard them say that there's a learning curb. There's nothing snarky meant by it. But if it helps any, next time this happens, I will let you know and hope that they will be punished accordingly for their inappropriate behavior.
I'm really sorry. I should have looked over the entire quote before sticking it on my signature. I didn't mean to insult you. Sorry.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)