"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:36 pm

GokuRules987 wrote:
Captain Space wrote:
Personally, I think that a "final level" would be self-defeating. Goku would hate for there to be a level so high you can't get any stronger. He always strives to improve, so telling him "this is it; this is the absolute limit", would be something he'd really dislike, and pretty contrary to the series' theme of constant improvement.

EDIT: And as an addendum, furthermore, being the strongest in the multiverse forever? Also something Goku, I feel, would hate. He loves finding and taking on new strong opponents--it's his joy in life. If no-one could challenge him anymore, he'd probably get depressed.
But wouldn't that give him some kind of legacy to be remembered for?

But what actually motivated Goku to improve himself? Its not because he wanted to compete against other fighters or train for fun! he trained because he needed to save the earth from evil and him loving to fight is what made it not become a chore for him.
And if he doesn't want to become the strongest in the multiverse, why does he enjoy fighting stronger characters and improving himself? He even found himself being mocked when Beerus told him to use all of his power against him. So it just shows that Goku has no problem with becoming stronger even if he surpasses everyone in the end.

And since all things have to eventually come to an end Goku becoming the strongest character is not something that he will be aiming for but its something he will come to realize that there will be no stronger opponent than him.
Wait... isn't the reason Goku trains because it's fun for him (post-SSJ)? He trains because he loves testing his limits and reaching new heights. The only way to test himself is by fighting stronger opponents. This is fun for Goku. He'd endanger people just to feed his competitive drive, honestly. >.>
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:41 pm

Wow I really am starting to buy that this is a retelling of post Boo.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:42 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Wow I really am starting to buy that this is a retelling of post Boo.
Welcome to the club :lol:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:43 pm

- Watched new trailer-

- Goten looks even smaller. Its ridiculous.
- Those fast frames (Chichi and Roshi scene / Beerus vs Alien guy) are bad. But not even back then everything was perfect, so its okay.

The rest is cool. Its nice to see some Goku/Goten moments and Beerus actually do his work.
Bulma and Videl keep being beautiful. I miss Videl tomboy though. :P

Just don't mention the halter weight that Goku is pushing. They will probably screw up.

Another thing. I wonder how Nozawa is doing. She's already 78 years old, doing Goku/Gohan/Goten in a weekly schedule may be too much.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

kizuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by kizuki » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:50 pm

I hate to pick at the old wound that is Dragon Ball Online but Goku's end is much less spectacular than that ... Lol
And aside from all that being canon, to me anyway, that's how I like to envision Goku's end. If anyone happened to read that.

BUTTTTTT, we still get Super and an eventual "end" is nowhere in sight at the moment.

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:52 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: Wait... isn't the reason Goku trains because it's fun for him (post-SSJ)? He trains because he loves testing his limits and reaching new heights. The only way to test himself is by fighting stronger opponents. This is fun for Goku. He'd endanger people just to feed his competitive drive, honestly. >.>
Goku trains for fun? Goku might have his own reasons to train but its certainly not because he is having fun. He wouldn't leave his own family then just to pleasure his selfish needs because Goku is pure hearted.

He might train if he sees that hes slacking off or becoming weaker. He does love to fight strong opponents but thats because he wants to become stronger too.

Its like saying i like to eat ice cream. Personally it wouldn't really make much sense if you just said that without giving a specific reason on why you like to eat ice cream like for example because maybe its refreshing and cold. Same with Goku loving to fight, there is a specific reason why he likes.
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:53 pm

kizuki wrote:I hate to pick at the old wound that is Dragon Ball Online but Goku's end is much less spectacular than that ... Lol
And aside from all that being canon, to me anyway, that's how I like to envision Goku's end. If anyone happened to read that.

BUTTTTTT, we still get Super and an eventual "end" is nowhere in sight at the moment.
I never cared about DBO. Its good to know that.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

kizuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by kizuki » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:00 pm

GokuRules987 wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote: Wait... isn't the reason Goku trains because it's fun for him (post-SSJ)? He trains because he loves testing his limits and reaching new heights. The only way to test himself is by fighting stronger opponents. This is fun for Goku. He'd endanger people just to feed his competitive drive, honestly. >.>
Goku trains for fun? Goku might have his own reasons to train but its certainly not because he is having fun. He wouldn't leave his own family then just to pleasure his selfish needs because Goku is pure hearted.

He might train if he sees that hes slacking off or becoming weaker. He does love to fight strong opponents but thats because he wants to become stronger too.

Its like saying i like to eat ice cream. Personally it wouldn't really make much sense if you just said that without giving a specific reason on why you like to eat ice cream like for example because maybe its refreshing and cold. Same with Goku loving to fight, there is a specific reason why he likes.
I see Goku as having a bit of both of those personalities. The want to protect and the need to fight the strongest.

I mean, he WAS down for the idea of letting Dr. Gero activate 17 and 18 just so he could confirm for himself how strong they were .. Even though Future Trunks told him about the, basically, destruction of Earth and their friends and family by their hands.

But in the Buu arc he seems more interested in making sure the Earth isn't destroyed.

So, like I said, I agree with both parts. Goku's just weird, lol.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:00 pm

GokuRules987 wrote:But what actually motivated Goku to improve himself? Its not because he wanted to compete against other fighters or train for fun! he trained because he needed to save the earth from evil and him loving to fight is what made it not become a chore for him.
He most certainly did not.
Toriyama: Right. There’s how, basically, Son Goku from Dragon Ball doesn’t fight for the sake of others, but because he wants to fight against strong guys. So once Dragon Ball got animated, at any rate, I’ve always been dissatisfied with the “righteous hero”-type portrayal they gave him. I guess I couldn’t quite get them to grasp the elements of “poison” that slip in and out of sight among the shadows.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... interview/

Weedity

Post by Weedity » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:01 pm

GokuRules987 wrote:

Ehh Goku most definitely does train for fun. He is always talking about how he can't wait to go train. He loves training.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:01 pm

Doctor. wrote:
GokuRules987 wrote:But what actually motivated Goku to improve himself? Its not because he wanted to compete against other fighters or train for fun! he trained because he needed to save the earth from evil and him loving to fight is what made it not become a chore for him.
He most certainly did not.
Toriyama: Right. There’s how, basically, Son Goku from Dragon Ball doesn’t fight for the sake of others, but because he wants to fight against strong guys. So once Dragon Ball got animated, at any rate, I’ve always been dissatisfied with the “righteous hero”-type portrayal they gave him. I guess I couldn’t quite get them to grasp the elements of “poison” that slip in and out of sight among the shadows.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... interview/
Beat me to it. lol.

To add to this:
"The main character Goku is a strong, pure, good person, but he’s also a battle-obsessed, hopeless case of a human being, who has some issues as a father. Yet for some reason, he possesses a mysterious, lighthearted charm that keeps his circle of friends growing and growing."

Source: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... d-message/

"Goku isn’t interested in child-rearing, probably. He’s completely unqualified to be a father. (laughs) He doesn’t even have a job. Goku wants nothing other than to get stronger, and it feels like he doesn’t have any other instincts. So he shows absolutely no interest in things he’s not interested in. I’d bet he wouldn’t have had any interest in marriage, either."

Source: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... ma-nozawa/
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

kizuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by kizuki » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:11 pm

Well, I kinda always go back to the end of the Buu story where Goku is wondering why there aren't more people on Earth lending him energy. Is the "Don't you people care about Earth?" a direct translation, speaking from the manga, or just a version we got of Goku by then to make him fit that heroic role?

Also, the fact that he actually willingly kills Majin Buu and hadn't done that to any enemy to date, in my opinion to salvage/protect Earth. Also, hoping he gets reincarnated as a good guy so they could spar/fight together. (Bejita, who?)

I can grasp the fact that Toriyama never wanted him to be "Superman" .. Ultimately, that's what we got by the end of the manga anyway.
Last edited by kizuki on Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:12 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Wow I really am starting to buy that this is a retelling of post Boo.
For the love of god please don't let that be the case. Surely they can't be that stupid to do something like that.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:16 pm

kizuki wrote:Well, I kinda always go back to the end of the Buu story where Goku is wondering why there aren't more people on Earth lending him energy. Is the "Don't you people care about Earth?" a direct translation, speaking from the manga, or just a version we got of Goku by then to make him fit that heroic role?

Also, the fact that he actually willingly kills Majin Buu and hadn't done that to any enemy to date, in my opinion to salvage/protect Earth. Also, hoping he gets reincarnated as a good guy so they could spar/fight together. (Bejita, who?)
I agree. Goku is heroic. And he does care for others.

But he doesn't train with that in mind. He really just loves working out and improving for the sake of improving, and testing out his new abilities. That's the life he loves more than anything. For example, he didn't leave his family to train Uub just so Earth would have a new hero. He did it so he could have a new rival to spar with. lol.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:18 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
kizuki wrote:I hate to pick at the old wound that is Dragon Ball Online but Goku's end is much less spectacular than that ... Lol

I never cared about DBO. Its good to know that.
You guys and anyone who hasnt should read the story I wrote in my signature. It touches on that. </shameless self-promotion>
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:18 pm

Bullza wrote:
For the love of god please don't let that be the case. Surely they can't be that stupid to do something like that.
All the signs point towards it. Seems like they're retelling the last 3 major stories of modern DBZ.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:19 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
kizuki wrote:Well, I kinda always go back to the end of the Buu story where Goku is wondering why there aren't more people on Earth lending him energy. Is the "Don't you people care about Earth?" a direct translation, speaking from the manga, or just a version we got of Goku by then to make him fit that heroic role?

I agree. Goku is heroic. And he does care for others.

But he doesn't train with that in mind. He really just loves working out and improving for the sake of improving, and testing out his new abilities. That's the life he loves more than anything. For example, he didn't leave his family to train Uub just so Earth would have a new hero. He did it so he could have a new rival to spar with. lol.
In Oob's case, I think it was a bit of both. He does say to Oob that he'll protect Earth when he's done training him.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Well, maybe they'll let Trunks and Goten become visibly older this time around?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:22 pm

Chuquita wrote:Well, maybe they'll let Trunks and Goten become visibly older this time around?
They're going to visibly shrink until they revert to infants.

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:23 pm

Anyway my point is that i want Goku to become stronger in dragon ball super and surpass the Gods. There is nothing wrong with loving to fight and training, You guys assume that Goku would hate to be strongest because he will not have anymore opponents to challenge when i personally think it wouldn't be the case because he stills shows somewhat chill attitude when it comes to spending time with his family or relaxing when hes about to fight a very powerful opponent like cell. If he becomes the strongest character in the multiverse then he will probably find other ways to look for a stronger opponents who exist beyond 12 universes or outside the dragon ball verse sorta like fiction verse or crossover XD
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!