Hardest part of the series to watch and/or read?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Hardest part of the series to watch and/or read?

Post by MajinMan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:37 am

I've been wondering what part of Dragon Ball is the toughest for you guys to sit through and watch/read. This doesn't have to be your least favorite arc, or even an arc that you dislike. You can say specific moments that span 10 chapters or 10 episodes and whatnot.

For me it's like this:

Manga

Right after Vegeta kills Android 19 through to the reveal of Cell. This is probably the most boring part in the series for me because nothing really happens. 18, 17, and 16 get released and Gero dies, but other than that nothing major happens. You can say the fight between 18 and Vegeta was major, but that fight was one of the worst ones in the series IMO so I don't enjoy it too much.

Anime (DB/DBZ)

This was between the same period listed above and the General Blue stuff, but in the end I found Blue more annoying. I don't understand why the conflict with Blue is so long but thank god it finally ended. The whole pirate cave, chase, and penguin village got so dragged out I couldn't take it anymore. Granted it's nothing compared to some stuff in Z (5 minutes, long fillers, drawn out fights), but it doesn't help that the RRA arc is one of my least favorites.

(You can include GT if you want.)
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Hardest part of the series to watch and/or read?

Post by Thanos » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:50 am

Pretty much anything in the Namek/Freeza arc that isn't major plot-points. I can enjoy repeated viewings of all the other parts of the series, but sitting through all that shit with Gohan, Kuririn and Bulma going around Namek is just tortuous.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:02 am

The beginning of Garlic junior saga when Gohan etc go under water.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:39 am

I don't know if it's the hardest part to watch, but I just finished re-watching the cartoon version of the very first story arc (The Son Goku / Dragon Ball Arc) and I had forgotten how much of a chore some of it can be. It's actually very enjoyable up through episode nine, but the Pilaf Castle stuff (which it stretched to four whole episodes) gets really taxing.

It's weird because I never get tired of that arc in the manga.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:04 am

This was in both the Manga and Cartoon.

Why the fuck did Vegeta kick the shit out of Goten and Trunks, when he was about to sacrifice himself against Majin Buu? What kind of Father is that? And a lot of people regard this as a sad moment in DBZ history.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:41 am

I despise the Penguin Village part of the Red Ribbon arc. I think it was completely unnecessary, unfunny and holds no place in this series.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:59 am

Either the hunt for Imperfect Cell, as it was simply everyone running in circles, Penguin Village, since it was very jarring to the tone of everything else that surrounded the mini-arc, or Early Namek, because it felt too drawn out.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:21 am

DB1984 wrote:Why the fuck did Vegeta kick the shit out of Goten and Trunks, when he was about to sacrifice himself against Majin Buu? What kind of Father is that?
Seriously?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:25 am

Toei's handling of the 23rd Tenkaichi Tournament(and really, directly after Piccolo Daimao's defeat with the filler Popo training), and it's filler-follow-up Wedding Dress arc, are super slow, I feel. I'll give the Wedding Dress arc points for really leaning into the mystical aspect of DB like it never really will again, but beyond that, it's kind of a slog into DBZ. And speaking of that, of course, the Saiyan arc is nigh-unwatchable. The difference in enjoyment I get out of reading Volume 17 versus watching Z Episodes 1-5 is night and day. It's just padding and wasting time, and not even in the same way that the Pilaf arc wasted time once they got to the castle, because in that instance, it served the purpose of comedy. It's pretty hilarious that after that ridiculously long pinball sequence they end up back in their original holding cell. It's obviously meant to lengthen the episode, they used it to the effect of enforcing the strengths of that arc when DB was still pretty much a full-on comedy.

Beyond that, I can't think of a portion of the manga that I really get bored at; it moves quite fast.
DB1984 wrote:Why the fuck did Vegeta kick the shit out of Goten and Trunks, when he was about to sacrifice himself against Majin Buu? What kind of Father is that? And a lot of people regard this as a sad moment in DBZ history.
They were in the way. Vegeta is not a good father, nor do I think he was ever intended to be. Regardless, in terms of getting rid of Buu, I have no problems with it.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:19 pm

DB1984 wrote:This was in both the Manga and Cartoon.

Why the fuck did Vegeta kick the shit out of Goten and Trunks, when he was about to sacrifice himself against Majin Buu? What kind of Father is that? And a lot of people regard this as a sad moment in DBZ history.
He doesn't want kids to interfere and die in the process.

Anime
After Raditz, when Goku dies and after the Saiyan arc when Goku is in the hospital is boring to watch.
And after Ssj3 vs. Buu is boring until Gohan arrives.

There is nothing boring in the manga I can think off

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:03 pm

DB1984 wrote:
Why the fuck did Vegeta kick the shit out of Goten and Trunks, when he was about to sacrifice himself against Majin Buu? What kind of Father is that?
A good one.

Wish he was my daddy.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:51 pm

for me its hands down vegetas speech to goku during the kid buu fight. but also the saiyaman arc and android 18 letting herself lose on purpose to mr satan of all people annoys me a bit.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:57 pm

Alex9196 wrote:for me its hands down vegetas speech to goku during the kid buu fight.
Why?

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:05 pm

because it sounds like he is giving up his dream to get stronger than goku and that is awful in my opinion

Videlphia76ers
Beyond Newbie

Post by Videlphia76ers » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:11 pm

People are gonna cry about this, but everything from Cell hatching to right before the very end of the Cell Games. It went on forever and ever but then Goku died again and things got interesting.
Cool dudes do cool stuff like 5 Chipotle burritos

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:31 pm

The Red Ribbon Saga. Specifically the General Blue arc. When I first watched Dragon Ball, I just skipped over the whole thing since it seemed so long, and now trying to watch it again, I was right, it's a chore. And also the Cell Games arc. idk why, but it just gets really uninteresting once he transforms.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:50 pm

In the anime it's Gohan adventures will he was surviving in the wasteland, I just couldn't get engaged.

Demon of Light
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Demon of Light » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:46 pm

The Freeza arc is always a bit hard for me to go through. All the running around and hiding and stealing Dragon Balls is really tedious. There are definitely a lot of good moments in the arc and I enjoy a lot of the characters introduced in it, but it's just kinda sluggish. I think a big part of the problem, though, is that I know the big SSJ transformation is coming, and it's such a ridiculous peak for the entire franchise that I end up anticipating it so much even on rewatches and rereads.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:51 pm

Fake Namek. Dragon Ball has good filler (Other World Tournament), average filler (Goku in Hell), bad filler (Bulma and Ginyu Frog) and then there's Fake Namek. Seriously, fuck those episodes.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:28 pm

It was hard to sit through the Garlic Jr saga. They decided to give the worst and most boring movie villain (in terms of design, impact, and cool factor, not backstory) a mini-saga. At that point, I wanted to see more of SSJ Goku or at least Vegeta (no, not his obsessive quest to find Goku). Everything was just a drag.

Cooler deserved his own saga, not ****ing Garlic Jr.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super