"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by soulnova » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:00 pm

Movie 13 would work perfectly as a 3-4 episode mini arc.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

ffxiimaniac
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ffxiimaniac » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:19 pm

The dub of BoG has been out.
I know this already. I just haven't gotten around to it. And now I probably won't.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:19 pm

Battle of Gods retelling: the animation will be inferior, the music will be different, the plot might change. I think that many people will hate it and they will feel mocked/tricked.

Weedity

Post by Weedity » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:30 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Battle of Gods retelling: the animation will be inferior, the music will be different, the plot might change. I think that many people will hate it and they will feel mocked/tricked.
People have been way too hard on the animation already, we have only seen 30 seconds of footage. Footage that may be unfinished still...

Plus, it's not like BoG had amazing music or anything? Perhaps the music will be even better. The plot may be better because it won't have movie time limitations.

I doubt "many" will hate it and feel they were mocked/tricked. Super is huge news for us dbz fans, even if it's inferior to the movies, I'm sure many will love it.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:37 pm

Sorry but the music when Vegeta attacks Beerus was just perfect for me. And that was maybe the best part of the whole movie.
I don't know if I would like this scene with another soundtrack.

Also all these retellings may take too many episodes. We may see the actual new arc in early 2016 or even later.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:38 pm

- Just read Toriyama bombshells-
The most interesting part: "Since it’s another universe, loads of new characters will turn up. I’ll do my best to draw the tons of character designs necessary, so I’m looking forward to this too."

Damn, If this was the old Toriyama I would be hyped as shit. But this one, after seeing a Fat Beerus and Whis Waifu, doesn't let me get that much exicted. Now I wonder, if they will indeed be new characters or just alternate versions of our cast.

The story is interesting. Kinda what I wanted, just wish all the 12 universes come to play. I don't care about the new Dragon Balls, but any excuse is valid for the adventure feel.
And here I thought the 9-star DB was a error. This time, I didn't call that one. :P
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SMKirbyZX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SMKirbyZX » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:40 pm

Christ, so much info, and so much excitement! I'm glad that that different universes are coming into play here. I think I can speak for almost everyone when the Black Dragon Balls from GT came to mind when reading "giant Super Dragon Balls." I really wonder what that's about, or how they will work. Maybe a more powerful shenlong?

I don't know where everyone is getting this "retelling of BoG" still. It seems like a dumb thing to do, since the anime is in a lower quality than the movies, and that it just doesn't make sense.

One last note: Dragon Ball has really come a long way, hasn't it? A simple plot about finding seven magical orbs suddenly turns into an epic saga of high stakes and such. God, time flies by fast. :shock:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:52 pm

Good evening, mates

Any new info by now?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:53 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Battle of Gods retelling: the animation will be inferior, the music will be different, the plot might change. I think that many people will hate it and they will feel mocked/tricked.
Yeah I think it'll just cause more harm than good really. There will be some changes in there that people will hate (like Minus), the animation will obviously be worse, people are going to wonder why things have changed and why things had to change.

It's already dividing people here whereas had they just continued from the movies then nobody would have had a problem with that.

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:55 pm

Bullza wrote:
Yeah I think it'll just cause more harm than good really. There will be some changes in there that people will hate (like Minus), the animation will obviously be worse, people are going to wonder why things have changed and why things had to change.

It's already dividing people here whereas had they just continued from the movies then nobody would have had a problem with that.
Except the group of people that previously thought it was gonna continue from the movies and still had a problem, but that's another issue.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:01 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Even if it's rewritten in the TV show, it wouldn't make the movies irrelevant.
It's as if you said The Path To Power is an irrelevant film because things actually don't happen exactly like that in the actual story. It's wrong, it's still worth watching as a "movie interpretation" of TV events.

If BOG and RF are rewritten, the movies will retroactively become "movie interpretations" of the actual events, which is still interesting for its more compact, self-contained, high-budget way to tell the story.

Back when we had The Path To Power, many fans wanted to see similar "movie versions" of the following arcs. Movie versions of existing TV arcs are not shameful, irrelevant trash to be tossed aside, they're still valuable.
A good comment. Toei is doing a similar thing with One Piece and is the best idea they ever had for that series. One Piece is so long that doing a Kai version would cost a lot of money. So instead, they are doing specials that cover the most important stuff from certain arcs. First Arlong arc and now Dressrosa arc. The difference is that these are specials, one for each arc. Super will retell the movies in episodes.

I still feel this movies retelling is unnecessary though. Its not a matter of the movies stop being canon or not, because what you said is true.
Its just i will probably see a lot of same scenes and feels like a waste of screentime and money from them. They teased me with a new tv series after 18 years, and the first episodes of this new tv series after 18 years. will retell what I've been seeing these last years... I'm not expecting they cover both movies in less that 10 episodes, so 10 episodes already "wasted" to me, when we could just move forward.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:11 pm

Weedity wrote:
People have been way too hard on the animation already, we have only seen 30 seconds of footage. Footage that may be unfinished still...

Plus, it's not like BoG had amazing music or anything? Perhaps the music will be even better. The plot may be better because it won't have movie time limitations.

I doubt "many" will hate it and feel they were mocked/tricked. Super is huge news for us dbz fans, even if it's inferior to the movies, I'm sure many will love it.
If a 30 sec trailer looks bad then it is safe to assume it's indicative of the rest of the series. No one is being hard at all, TOEI have a pretty bad track record sure it doesn't look that bad but we should we expecting a lot better and if they are indeed reanimating BoG and "F" then they're not going to look near as good as they did in the movies especially in "F"'s case, which is why I hope they reuse the animation, will save time and money too.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:23 pm

So far my hype has went down a little bit, but I still look forward on watching the show. I just dislike the idea of retelling the newer movies into episodes because it makes the new movies feel pointless. Why bother making Battle of Gods and Resurrection F if you are just going to retell them into a new show? At least I hope they executed the new Dragon Balls better then GT did.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:26 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Avery wrote:Man, they created a real mess with all this retconning stuff...
It's nothing new these days. A lot of stuff about Dragon Ball from the manga and the anime in the last few years has retconned out.
Like which?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:28 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:If a 30 sec trailer looks bad then it is safe to assume it's indicative of the rest of the series.
Whoah, I've criticised the trailer's animation pretty heavily, but I wouldn't say that. Not every episode is going to look great, especially not in an episode that appears to be mostly downtime. There's only really two instances that look downright horrible, anyway. The rest of it isn't too bad.

With an (assumedly) long running series like this, I'll be happy with creative storyboarding and consistently on-model characters carrying us through the story. As long as the important action looks wonderful, I think most of us will be pretty happy.

We'll begin to know what to expect once we're a few episodes in and have gotten an idea of what staff are working on the series. Even that will change over time, so who knows what the future holds!

Far too many unknown aspects to make definitive judgements over anything at this point.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:42 pm

So the whole alternate universe, I hope we get some news on that. for me it'd be a little boring if its all the same characters with slight differences. (I'm talking Chamla/Beerus levels of difference would be boring.)
Noah wrote:Good evening, mates

Any new info by now?
-huge bombshell of info being released by the Toriyama
-anything happen guys?
what a digital dummy
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:43 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Movie 12 seems more of a one time thing that wouldn't work too well in TV format.
Do what Shin Budokai did by having Fusion Reborn set after the Buu saga. Just don't make it into a giant mess since Shin Budokai had Janemba making Vegeta into Majin Vegeta again. Kid Gohan and Future Trunks somehow being thrown out of a time lop and Kid Buu in Hell despite being reborn as Uub.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:44 pm

What does this mean for Tarble? Is he reckon or.. being retold?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:46 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:What does this mean for Tarble? Is he reckon or.. being retold?
He's gone forever. :D
Something good should come out from this retelling.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:48 pm

So they'll make 2008 OVA entirely filler and BoG and RoF movies with a bit of filler parts? What a...
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs