Wow, Super's music doesn't suck!

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mcdonough88
Not-So-Newbie

Wow, Super's music doesn't suck!

Post by mcdonough88 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:53 am

The few tracks they showed didn't suck at all! Sumitomo really pumped it up!
Did they changed that awful music supervisor?

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Re: Wow, Super's music doesn't suck!

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:42 am

These tracks are equal to Kai in my opinion. For now, I can't say that they are better than Kai. We heard some catchy and nice melodies but most of theme were made with computer.

The horror-like track for Beerus didn't have any melody at all and the last sad track that played in the scene with Mr. Satan and Goku was almost the same with Vegeta's sacrifice theme from Kai.

We need to see more. And I don't think that Kai's soundtracks were all that bad.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:00 am

TheRed259 wrote: And I don't think that Kai's soundtracks were all that bad.
I fully agree.The orchestral tracks were awesome IMO.
mcdonough88 wrote:Did they changed that awful music supervisor?
Yes, they did.Satoshi Motoyama has been remplaced by Yasunori Honda.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:59 am

Don't know about the OST itself but God, I really hate the opening theme for it. Its almost as bad as Fight It Out.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:36 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Don't know about the OST itself but God, I really hate the opening theme for it. Its almost as bad as Fight It Out.
I personally would say Fight It Out is better, at least that's catchy.

Dbzejo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzejo » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:01 pm

No, it doesnt suck. Op and ed are nice, and i liked the bit where buu was angry ...

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:49 pm

The music doesn't suck but its not that memorable either.
I like the intro.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:32 am

It's above his Kai work purely because it's actually placed well, but it's just as generic and uninteresting. It has no presence; it's just a thing that's there that I barely even notice. A majority of it feels like half-assed attempts at creating atmosphere, and I've seen it confused with Faulconer too many times to count now. Nobody should ever want that.

I miss the grandiosity of Dragon Ball's previous soundtracks. The sense of adventure and scope. It's not like Sumitomo is incapable, but his work on everything post-Battle of Gods has relied far too much on drawn out tones and synthesised sounds. I don't like it, and I don't think saying it "doesn't suck" means that it's actually any good. It's inoffensive, but god, it's so bland.

It's very depressing listening to One Piece's soundtrack and then heading back into Super. Sumitomo is not providing anything with a semblance of what Dragon Ball is for me. He is absolutely the wrong composer for this series. He seems to have no interest in creating music that fits these days.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:59 pm

The music in a few moments of episode 7 felt to me more like the Faulconer Productions soundtrack than anything before.
I don't think that's bad, only unremarkable. And the same goes to the openings and endings.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:52 pm

Nah I think it's completely bland and forgettable. Even Kai 2.0 had a few stand out tracks. Super doesn't even really have that.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:54 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Nah I think it's completely bland and forgettable. Even Kai 2.0 had a few stand out tracks. Super doesn't even really have that.
Not even the prologue soundtrack?

I don't understand why people say Super's tracks don't stand out. Is it because I watch each episode more than once? Because I recognize all of the soundtracks played so far. One can say they're bad, sure, but I really don't understand how people can say Super's tracks are forgettable when some of them play more than once each episode.

The only one I'd call bad is the Goku theme they're using.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:58 pm

Doctor. wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Nah I think it's completely bland and forgettable. Even Kai 2.0 had a few stand out tracks. Super doesn't even really have that.

I don't understand why people say Super's tracks don't stand out. Is it because I watch each episode more than once? Because I recognize all of the soundtracks played so far. One can say they're bad, sure, but I really don't understand how people can say Super's tracks are forgettable when some of them play more than once each episode.

The only one I'd call bad is the Goku theme they're using.
The ost blends in so much I hardly remember it exists. I can't recall anything beyond the opening and ending theme. Hell I know the Goku theme is bad, but I keep forgetting how it actually sounds like because it's forgettable.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Blackstripe
Regular

Post by Blackstripe » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:45 am

The soundtrack is one of the few things about Super that hasn't disappointed me so far.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:27 am

The ssjg ritual is one of the best tracks I've heard in the whole serious, Sumitomo Channeled his Inner Miklos Rosza there.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:34 am

I actually felt the soundtrack once again was really bland, especially compared to BOG. None of Sumimoto's tracks in Super so far have left an impact on me. The same thing happened in RoF. The only 2 tracks of his I remember from that movie were: the scene with the one-inch punch and the scene where Goku kills Freeza (which I thought was atrocious and extremely over the top in all the wrong ways).

In BOG, I felt the music really helped the transformation feel grander than life. Here the music is a lot blander, but to be fair they make up for it by making the transformation a lot more interesting visually. I.e: the sky and the aura.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:36 am

Doctor. wrote:
I'd say that the prologue soundtrack is an exception, since it basically reuses a pre-existing theme. It doesn't have the effort of composing a theme from scratch.

Speaking about that, I think that it was a cheap move. I enjoyed hearing a version of "Chala Head Chala" in the recap of episode one, as a nod to the original series, but I'd have preferred to have an all-new recap theme, using Chozetsu Dynamic's melody, for the rest of the episodes.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:05 am

I haven't seen the latest episode but last week's episode where Goku showed up on the cruise liner, the music that played there had me going " :shock: good god this is terrible" which is a reaction I've had to only about 1 other track in Super because for the most part the ost is just "good enough" but rarely more than that, I like the recap theme, the opening and ending themes and that ominous sounding Beerus theme (although I will admit that his theme is more ambient noise than actual music)

I liked Yamamoto's music for Kai, it's a real shame that it was scrapped because it had such a good feel to it, it sort of felt like the Kikuchi score but for a new age. I also liked Sumitomo's music in BoG but his stuff for Kai is just generic and nowhere near as good as the music that Kikuchi made for the Boo saga (which is some of the best music in any DB anime), I have heard some of the music for Resurrection F (haven't seen the movie yet) and I think it sounds quite good, though I was hoping to hear some of the music that played a lot in the Namek saga, it's weird that the only music track from the old shows that modern Dragon Ball anime acknowledges is cha-la head cha-la and nothing else, not even we gotta power :|

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:41 pm

MarCas92 wrote:I actually felt the soundtrack once again was really bland, especially compared to BOG. None of Sumimoto's tracks in Super so far have left an impact on me. The same thing happened in RoF. The only 2 tracks of his I remember from that movie were: the scene with the one-inch punch and the scene where Goku kills Freeza (which I thought was atrocious and extremely over the top in all the wrong ways).

In BOG, I felt the music really helped the transformation feel grander than life. Here the music is a lot blander, but to be fair they make up for it by making the transformation a lot more interesting visually. I.e: the sky and the aura.
One really can't speak good about Sumitomo here XD.

I really don't know your concept of bland, but fans here mostly pick on anything that puts in some choirs (or anything about Sumitomo) and immediately call it bland. I still to this day can't even know why the heck the choir part of freeza's death is cheesy. If I remind them of the choir that played just when Vegeta died on DBZ they would say "It raises suspense, it's perfect" when In my opinion, it's over the top, Vegeta was not blown to shreds, sure he was pierced on the heart, but he actually died quite peacefully by stoping to breath, why the dramatic track?. Why not a sad track?.

I know the guy has some bad tracks, but it's not a bad thing to acknowledge what he does well. I swear, if the SSJG ritual theme was actually a part of Evangelion soundtrack, their fans would be praising it nonstop.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:15 pm

Black_Liger wrote:I know the guy has some bad tracks, but it's not a bad thing to acknowledge what he does well. I swear, if the SSJG ritual theme was actually a part of Evangelion soundtrack, their fans would be praising it nonstop.
I absolutely agree. The SSJG ritual track was just that damn good.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:19 pm

It really is a amazing track. One of Sumitomo's best.