Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:17 pm

Bullza wrote:Pokémon X and Y wasn't a remake and that sold worse too though. Yokai Watch 2 didn't come out until after the 2014 World Cup was over and that was the game that made the franchise take off.

It's not like it's dead but it is dying off and not that slowly.

The sales for the games are decreasing. The movies which had consistently been making over ¥4 billion for years are now failing to reach ¥3 billion. In a desperate attempt to boost them back up the latest movie has shoved in all the legendary Pokémon in there for some battle royale.

The TV Ratings which used to range from 5-6 a year ago have now dropped to between 3.5-4.5.

It's been replaced by McDonald's and other endorsements. Surely in merchandise found in arcades.

Yokai Watch is still a new thing too and it's already had this kind of effect on it. Give it time and it's only going to get even more popular and Pokémon will suffer even more.
How did it do worse when you said 3 games in total made 5 million when 2 (XY) made 4.5 million?

Yokai Watch already took off before the sequel, the first game was at the top of the charts for a long time.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:00 pm

Without Google searching, is Yokai Watch the new Digimon (Pokemon rival featuring kids and cute/cool monsters) or something?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:38 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Without Google searching, is Yokai Watch the new Digimon (Pokemon rival featuring kids and cute/cool monsters) or something?
Pretty much, yeah. It basically the result of Digimon and Ben 10 doing the fusion dance.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:44 pm

How did it do worse when you said 3 games in total made 5 million when 2 (XY) made 4.5 million?
Well it's just three versions of the same game that is Yokai Watch 2. It's like how Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald were three versions of the same game.

Though yes it did have an extra version when compared to XY and ORAS.
Yokai Watch already took off before the sequel, the first game was at the top of the charts for a long time.
It was only somewhat popular. It came out mid 2013 and sold 290,000 copies by the end of the year. Then in 2014 something happened because that year it sold 1 million copies and most of them likely came from the goodwill of the second game.

Yokai Watch 2 pulled a GTA3.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:31 am

Pokemon is making a Hail Mary with this latest movie. Tomioka Atsuhiro wrote the movie, his first for the franchise. Tomioka has been in charge of series composition for the animated programs since Diamond & Pearl and was wrote many great episodes for said series. Iwane Masa'aki was also asked to work on the film, something he hasn't done in several years. Although Yuyama Kunihiko is still directing there is definitely a sense that they're trying to improve the quality of the films, if only still within their strict set of rules.

Anyhoo, if Dragon Ball Kai can survive the ratings game this long then Dragon Ball Super will, especially if merchandising sales increase.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:42 am

About Pokemon, those games are TOO powerful to be beaten so easily.
It's like Call of Duty, it always sells a lot.
If Game Freak decided to annualize their releases, add a shit-ton of content, new mechanics etc... they could rival Yo-Kai watch.
I think RBY remakes would totally crush it sales-wise. They just have to make them right. I honestly dislike Yo-Kai watch so probably it was marketed it a lot better than Pokemon. Also let's not forget Pokemon has an HUGE fanbase of nostalgic people.

To not go Off Topic - Why do you guys think DBS can't go first on ratings? If the story is well done and intriguing even non DB fans would start watching it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:22 am

I haven't even seen a trailer of the Yokai Watch game. I don't have a clue what it's about except it's another Japanese handheld RPG with cutesy monsters.

It's bigger than Pokémon in Japan now but not nearly as big as Pokémon at it's peak. I don't see it having the same impact in the rest of the world like Pokémon did though.

I'm not sure when we'll get the ratings for DB Super. There's a chance the first episode could be #1 but not every week. It'll get good ratings though, that's almost a given.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:10 am

emperior wrote:To not go Off Topic - Why do you guys think DBS can't go first on ratings? If the story is well done and intriguing even non DB fans would start watching it.
For the reasons mentioned, especially the timeslot. If Super aired, say, on Sunday nights alongside Sazae-san, that would be a very real possibility.
I don't want people to be disappointed when it's not #1, it doesn't sound realistic. But it will do great, i'm sure about that. As long as it is in the top 10 and merchandise sells, it can be called a success.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:25 am

It's the first DB show in almost 20 years. I think a lot of people tune in to watch it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Weedity

Post by Weedity » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:39 am

Check out the Google trends for Dragon Ball Super: https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q ... %2FGMT%2B4

Seems like people have been searching it a lot, seems to be popular!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:50 am

Not just that but the term "Dragon Ball" is at it's highest since 2004 and by a good amount too.

This has definitley been the biggest year for Dragon Ball since the show ended all those years ago. I hope it can last.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:06 pm

So, where are the ratings #s?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:08 pm

Basaku wrote:So, where are the ratings #s?
Anime News Network reports them, but I haven't seen them if they've already come up.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:33 pm

ANN is usually two weeks behind. Video Research is the source they use, i honestly don't know how to navigate through this site ever since they revamped it though.

This is another interesting source for ratings, it's about the most recorded shows of the week. We can see here, in their most recent update, that the penultimate episode of Kai was the 9th animation for its week.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:43 pm

If they counted with everyone that watched the streaming worlwide, Sazae-san was doomed. :lol:
But since I've been following tv ratings these last years, if Super reaches top 5 its already impressive. Its not impressive being in top10 because Kai was always there.

I just hope the new series after almost 20 years gets better rankings than Kai.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Dbzejo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzejo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:43 am

So, Dragon Ball Super is 4th with 7,9%... Not bad.When things get interesting , the ratings will probably jump...

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:19 am

Do you have a source for that?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:07 am

Bullza wrote:Do you have a source for that?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=720

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:19 am

Not bad, I expected more though I suppose. Surprised it's lower than Kai's first episode.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:04 am

Well, it reached top 5. I'm satisfied.
If it kept like that in top 5 all the way through, it would be great.

Worldwide is the number 1 anyway.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.