The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Herms » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:40 pm

It's さすがだな, which isn't a contraction of anything. さすが means something is as expected, and there's no personal pronoun in the sentence (fairly typical in Japanese).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

kuartus4
Beyond Newbie

Post by kuartus4 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:20 pm

@Herms,

Can (やはり)Yahari in this quote also be translated as "as I thought" or "as expected"?

In the strength checker I believe you translate it as "also"?

Chapter: 451 (DBZ 257), P10.5
Context: after Goku makes Yakon explode with his Super Saiyan aura
Vegeta: “So that bastard Kakarot has also surpassed that wall…The Super Saiyan wall…”

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:31 pm

Yeah, やはり can mean "as was expected" or "too, likewise". Of course, も is in that sentence too, also meaning "also". The first bit is phrased as a rhetorical question, but for some reason my translation doesn't reflect that. Maybe at the time I didn't consider that aspect important enough to preserve in translation, but I might have just left out the question mark due to a typo. Can't remember. Anyway, keeping the rhetorical question aspect, it's

"So, that bastard Kakarot has also surpassed that wall?...The Super Saiyan wall..."

And translating やはり "as expected", it's

"So as expected, that bastard Kakarot has also surpassed that wall?...The Super Saiyan wall..."

Lord Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lord Gogeta » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:43 pm

What does it say about Freeza here?:
"The Saiyans, they're here, I am they, We are one! Unfortunately for you Omega" ~ Gogeta

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:01 pm

It's just talking about the use of Maximum the Hormone's song "F" and Momoiro Clover Z's theme song for the movie. Nothing really about Freeza himself.

Lord Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lord Gogeta » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Herms wrote:It's just talking about the use of Maximum the Hormone's song "F" and Momoiro Clover Z's theme song for the movie. Nothing really about Freeza himself.
Thanks
"The Saiyans, they're here, I am they, We are one! Unfortunately for you Omega" ~ Gogeta

Lord Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lord Gogeta » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:37 am

@Herms

Can you help me please.......again ^^

Is this scan fake or from an actual Dragonball guide?

(I made this translated in Reddit:)

And apparently it says this:

"Gogeta vs Vegeto.
By making their hearts one, fusion allows them to reach the very heights of power. So, if the battle is one that can be decided in a short 30 minutes, than Gogeta wins. If it's a longer battle, then Vegeto will definitely be the victor!"

valfranx
Beyond Newbie

Post by valfranx » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:28 am

well as gogeta is a non-canon character of an alternate universe (films) the statement might make some sense. also lembrer that gogeta gt is not the same gogeta of the film 12, as the quote of the guide on Potara, it does not apply to gogeta, visa that gogeta does not exist in manga, which exists in the manga is a character named Vegito not gogeta. as gogeta it does not exist this means that a merger dance between vegeta and goku would also be called Vegito.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:36 pm

From the Super Starter Guide. What does it say about kid Vegeta? Does it say anything about if they wil re-use his TV Special design or his BoG design in Super?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:08 pm

Lord Gogeta wrote:@Herms

It's not from anything I'm familiar with. Did anyone say where it's supposed to be from? Offhand it looks a little bit fishy. First, it uses just the English letter F to stand for "Fusion", which isn't something that's every done in the series itself or anywhere else I've seen. Toriyama also doesn't really sound like himself: those sort of short, super simple sentences with double exclamation points are more characteristic of the generic image captions and whatnot found in guides rather than actual statements from Toriyama (and it's the sort of thing that's not too hard to fake). That image of Toriyama is also originally from volume 33...but it's been mirror-flipped from left to right for some reason. The fact that it simply says "Akira Toriyama-sensei!" by the Toriyama picture is also rather fishy, as is how there's no proper question visible, just "Showdown!! Gogeta vs Vegetto". It's all exactly the sort of thing you'd expect from a non-native Japanese speaker throwing together a fake scan.

The English translation of the text is basically accurate, though.

All in all, unless a specific source for this image is provided and we get confirmation of its origin, I'd assume it's fake.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:From the Super Starter Guide. What does it say about kid Vegeta? Does it say anything about if they wil re-use his TV Special design or his BoG design in Super?
It just notes how he has bangs in the original key visual, but doesn't say anything about whether Super will follow the key visual or BoG in that regard.

Lord Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lord Gogeta » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:42 am

Herms wrote:

It's not from anything I'm familiar with. Did anyone say where it's supposed to be from? Offhand it looks a little bit fishy. First, it uses just the English letter F to stand for "Fusion", which isn't something that's every done in the series itself or anywhere else I've seen. Toriyama also doesn't really sound like himself: those sort of short, super simple sentences with double exclamation points are more characteristic of the generic image captions and whatnot found in guides rather than actual statements from Toriyama (and it's the sort of thing that's not too hard to fake). That image of Toriyama is also originally from volume 33...but it's been mirror-flipped from left to right for some reason. The fact that it simply says "Akira Toriyama-sensei!" by the Toriyama picture is also rather fishy, as is how there's no proper question visible, just "Showdown!! Gogeta vs Vegetto". It's all exactly the sort of thing you'd expect from a non-native Japanese speaker throwing together a fake scan.

The English translation of the text is basically accurate, though.

All in all, unless a specific source for this image is provided and we get confirmation of its origin, I'd assume it's fake.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:From the Super Starter Guide. What does it say about kid Vegeta? Does it say anything about if they wil re-use his TV Special design or his BoG design in Super?
It just notes how he has bangs in the original key visual, but doesn't say anything about whether Super will follow the key visual or BoG in that regard.
Well thanks for sharing your opinion. Unfortunately I don't know where this come from. I found it online by mistake the other day. Too bad is likely fake, I was hyped that Super Gogeta was winning against Super Vegito.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:48 am

Looking around a bit, it seems like there's only just that one image and never any larger/clearer/different pictures (as you'd expect if this were a genuine page in some book/magazine), and no info on where it's from. So two more red flags right there.

Lord Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lord Gogeta » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:47 am

Herms wrote:Looking around a bit, it seems like there's only just that one image and never any larger/clearer/different pictures (as you'd expect if this were a genuine page in some book/magazine), and no info on where it's from. So two more red flags right there.
BTW Herms I think I found a quote comparing SSG Goku and SSJ4 Goku:

It comes from here apparently:

I think is from Chozenshuu 3

Sorry to bother you again, but does it say something about who is stronger?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:03 am

No, it doesn't. It's a simple technique dictionary in Chozenshu #4 describing the forms (Which he just translated that two pages ago), with no attempt to compare them to each other.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:38 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:No, it doesn't. It's a simple technique dictionary in Chozenshu #4 describing the forms (Which he just translated that two pages ago), with no attempt to compare them to each other.
What are you talking about? They do clearly compare the forms!
Super Saiyan 4
Characteristics: An ultimate form surpassing Super Saiyan 3.

Super Saiyan God
Characteristics: He powers up to such an extent that he far surpasses Super Saiyan 3, his hair becomes red, and his body becomes somewhat slender.
Super Saiyan 4 surpasses Super Saiyan 3, but Super Saiyan God far surpasses Super Saiyan 3!
SS4 << SSG, proven!
QED

Lord Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lord Gogeta » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:27 am

@dbgtFO

Lol, well thanks :)

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:25 pm

(I made this translated in Reddit:)

And apparently it says this:

"Gogeta vs Vegeto.
By making their hearts one, fusion allows them to reach the very heights of power. So, if the battle is one that can be decided in a short 30 minutes, than Gogeta wins. If it's a longer battle, then Vegeto will definitely be the victor!"
I halfway remember seeing something like this in an old issue of Weekly Jump from around the debut of Z movie 12. (Or was it Vegetto's debut in the TV series?)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:47 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:I halfway remember seeing something like this in an old issue of Weekly Jump from around the debut of Z movie 12. (Or was it Vegetto's debut in the TV series?)
Clearly you must drop everything and head back to Japan to solve this mystery! Or maybe just ask Peking Duck, I guess.

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:00 am

in episode 3 of super old kai said he has been sealed by beerus. i looked it up in the english version of the manga and in chapter 479 when the old kai got free he said in the english version that he got sealed by a strong opponent, but not as strong as buu. that statement would be wrong since beerus is classes above buu. however i couldnt find the panel in japanese but i leave a link to the english page.

<Link to scanslations removed>

my question is if the old kai really says what he states in the english manga because then it wouldnt make sense.
or is it a wrong translation?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:44 am

@Alex
You should edit out that link and instead just post an image instead. We are not allowed to link to scanlation sites.
But here is an image without any hint of scanlation:

My translation request:
Did we get this Toriyama comment translated?(It's from Saiyo Jump in 2014).