When Kai Did It Right

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

When Kai Did It Right

Post by MrWalnut4 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:52 pm

One of the major criticisms of Kai (more so in The Final Chapters) has been it's music placement. I'll admit, a lot of the time the Sumitomo score was just placed horribly. However with Kai finishing airing, I thought we might take a moment to appreciate the times that Kai got it right. There were some outstanding tracks made for Kai by both Sumitomo and Yamamoto, and occasionally we got scenes that were paired with truly excellent tracks. Here are some of my favorites in no particular order.

Goku Powers Up Against Cell
Kai episode 88

This scene was a little lackluster in Z but turned out much better in Kai's rendition IMO. It also suffered from being split into two episodes in Z rather than one fluid power up like it is in Kai.

Vegeta is Outclassed by Perfect Cell
Kai episode 80

I really liked this scene. It amplifies the frustration and helplessness Vegeta feels when his full strength does nothing to Cell.

The Ginyu Force Arrives
Kai episode 28

What's not to love about this? The Ginyu Force are the supposed strongest mercenaries in the galaxy and they end up being so over the top and flamboyant. This song rises to match their level of ridiculousness perfectly.

SSJ3 is Revealed
Kai episode 126

Sure the song is reused from the SSJG theme, but who cares? It isn't as mysterious as it was in Z, but still pairs extremely well with the reveal of a SSJ3. That, and it's one of my favorite Sumitomo tracks. :D

These are only a handful of scene Kai did justice as there are probably many others. Overall I liked the music and placement in the first half of Kai minus some repetitive tracks in beginning (it got much better in the Android/Cell saga). Kai The Final Chapters had more issues but still had some gems.
Last edited by MrWalnut4 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: When Kai Did It Right

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:49 am

The scenes of Goku powering up against Cell and The Ginyu Force arriving are indeed awesome.

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:40 pm

I actually like Goku's SSJ debut scene with the Kikuchi replacement. I do wish M1418 played for a bit longer, though.
Last edited by SSJ Electric Fury on Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:41 pm

I've already said that the best scene I think Kai improves on Z is when Goku defeats Freeza on Namek with the yellow blast. You have a great, chilling score with Freeza's speech and then it's the lack of score that makes it so memorable (as well as the excellent voice acting on both the japanese and english dub).

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:23 pm

This infuriates me. Seriously hadnt it been known for a long time about Yamamoto and nobody did or said anything? Regardless I found it beautiful and I absolutely loved his bgm. So mad they didn't at least allow him to finish his current project before letting him go. Especially with 3 episodes left for God's sake that's just absurd timing.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:18 pm

Doctor. wrote:I've already said that the best scene I think Kai improves on Z is when Goku defeats Freeza on Namek with the yellow blast. You have a great, chilling score with Freeza's speech and then it's the lack of score that makes it so memorable (as well as the excellent voice acting on both the japanese and english dub).
I'm in total agreement there. While I don't think it's nearly as good as the original Kikuchi plcement, I feel it's much better than the Yamamoto placement. The Yamamoto track used there just wasn't intense enough for me. Again, the original Z wins overall, but the Kikuchi Kai version was pretty decent, too.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:22 pm

MrWalnut4, you're going to need to remove those full episode links. If there are more specific, individual scenes you can link to, that MIGHT be OK, but this certainly is not. Thanks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:46 am

VegettoEX wrote:MrWalnut4, you're going to need to remove those full episode links. If there are more specific, individual scenes you can link to, that MIGHT be OK, but this certainly is not. Thanks.
No problem, links removed.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:13 pm

MrWalnut4 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:MrWalnut4, you're going to need to remove those full episode links. If there are more specific, individual scenes you can link to, that MIGHT be OK, but this certainly is not. Thanks.
No problem, links removed.
If you need the goku powering up clip I have it on my channel narutonamikaze6533 :D
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:21 pm

Naruto6583 wrote: If you need the goku powering up clip I have it on my channel narutonamikaze6533 :D
Thanks, but I think I'll go ahead and upload those specific clips myself.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:30 pm

The scene where Gohan's rage comes out and he attacks second-form Freeza greatly benefited from the quicker pacing. The fast editing really amplified the ferocity of his onslaught.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:41 am

Plenty of scenes where done great in Kai… back when it was using the Yamato score, such as the ones that you posted. It was when all the music started being replaced that everything went to hell. Funimation's release of Kai Blu ray parts 1-4 is my favorite way to watch the series.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:21 pm

They got the pace right even though they removed some fillers i like.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

JustSaiyan34

Post by JustSaiyan34 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:35 pm

Okay, question not exactly related to the topic, but do the individual parts of Kai (like parts 1 and 2 that covered the Saiyan Saga) do those still contain Yamamoto's score? Or is it all replaced by Kikuchi's score for Z now (since I know it is in the full season sets)?
A B S O L U T E L Y S U B A R A S H I I

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:02 pm

JustSaiyan34 wrote:Okay, question not exactly related to the topic, but do the individual parts of Kai (like parts 1 and 2 that covered the Saiyan Saga) do those still contain Yamamoto's score? Or is it all replaced by Kikuchi's score for Z now (since I know it is in the full season sets)?
I think it's only in parts 1-4. Parts 5-8 have the replaced Kikuchi score.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:20 pm

MrWalnut4 wrote:
JustSaiyan34 wrote:Okay, question not exactly related to the topic, but do the individual parts of Kai (like parts 1 and 2 that covered the Saiyan Saga) do those still contain Yamamoto's score? Or is it all replaced by Kikuchi's score for Z now (since I know it is in the full season sets)?
Yup I don't think parts 1-4 were ever replaced, they're out of print but not replaced
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

JustSaiyan34

Post by JustSaiyan34 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:23 pm

Naruto6583 wrote:
MrWalnut4 wrote:
Yup I don't think parts 1-4 were ever replaced, they're out of print but not replaced
Thank you.
A B S O L U T E L Y S U B A R A S H I I

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:23 pm

MrWalnut4 wrote:Goku Powers Up Against Cell
Kai episode 88
Thanks for showing me this! Started a related topic: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=32010

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:39 pm

The back-to-back episodes of 60-61 (The episode where Goku gets a heart attack and Vegeta beats up #19) are especially excellent in both pacing and music placement. Kai went as far as changing the footage so that episode 60 leaves the audience with Goku having heart troubles, being beaten by #19, with Piccolo downed by Gero, and Vegeta nowhere in sight. It's all rather bleak, but makes for some great suspense. :D

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:48 pm

I think it was overall the English dub in itself. We had the great Christopher Ayres as Freeza. He brought such life and color into the character. I could finally take him seriously as a villain. As for specific scenes I liked the "I am the Super Saiyan, Son Goku." scene. I loved Schemmel's work there, and how they finally addressed Goku's surname in the actual series.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]