"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:00 pm

Gregory didn't appear in BoG, so it's likely he won't appear here either. That image of him is there probably because they forgot to remove it, that artwork seems like it's not recent at all.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:07 pm

Doctor. wrote:Gregory didn't appear in BoG, so it's likely he won't appear here either. That image of him is there probably because they forgot to remove it, that artwork seems like it's not recent at all.
He did appear in the Tarble special, and again Super has already included filler characters right in its first episode.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:08 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
BeholdeR wrote:Isn't that ... the flying birdy who get hammered in the anime?

I dont remember him being in the manga ;x
Gregory the bee? Yeah it's him. He wasn't in the manga but I don't see why he can't appear in Super. They already put filler characters in the first episode (Satan's assistants from the Cell Games).
Not to mention Gregory was in Kai, so...wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Although he wasn't in BoG and even in Z/GT he wasn't always by Kaio's side, unlike Bubbles. It's not like he NEEDS to show up.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:16 pm

I'd rather Super just leave Gregory out like BoG and RoF, but if not, I guess Toriyama has at least sorta acknowledged Gregory.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:21 pm

Gregory is a fun character, I don't see why he shouldn't appear.

Hell, I wouldn't mind if Android Tao shows up so that he and Mr. Satan can finally settle their score.

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:24 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Gregory is a fun character, I don't see why he shouldn't appear.

Hell, I wouldn't mind if Android Tao shows up so that he and Mr. Satan can finally settle their score.
Videl and Gohan have been training Mr. Satan in secret and he kicks Tao's ass XD
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:45 pm

Didn't Toriyama design Gregory?
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Weedity

Post by Weedity » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:59 pm

I always liked Gregory. Kaiō-sama's planet always felt a little lonely without him in the manga!

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:31 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Gregory didn't appear in BoG, so it's likely he won't appear here either. That image of him is there probably because they forgot to remove it, that artwork seems like it's not recent at all.
He did appear in the Tarble special, and again Super has already included filler characters right in its first episode.
There's nothing stating that those characters are the same as in the filler, is there? It could just be a nod to filler by using those designs for minor characters who probably won't appear that often (if ever again). They both dress and act differently, so I assume it's just a nod.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:43 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
Super has already included filler characters right in its first episode.
What filler characters where those again in the first episode?
Marco Polo wrote:Gregory is a fun character, I don't see why he shouldn't appear.

Tao died from Buu, I think he is dead for good. They wish back everyone expect for the really evil ones. Meaning that characters like Dabra, Babidi, the two gun men that almost kill Mr. Satan and possibly Tao didn't get wish back.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:44 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Marco Polo wrote:
Super has already included filler characters right in its first episode.
What filler characters where those again in the first episode?
Mr. Satan's apprentice (one of them, anyway) and his...agent? PR lady? I forget what she was exactly.

YonkouProductions

Post by YonkouProductions » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:50 pm

#3 Preview in Jump

Last edited by YonkouProductions on Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:58 pm

So, does it presently look like this new series is going to just retell the stories of BoG and FnF in its own way? If so, I guess those movies will effectively become like the first 3 DB movies; same characters and matching/similar story, but not the version that counts.

That is probably in part why I feel so disinterested in this new series so far. Taking place before the end of Z already causes enough issues, but now we already know several major plot points to come, like both the "new" transformations Goku and Vegeta will be reaching. Fat Beerus (I like that name better lol) and Lady Whis being the first new things revealed made me start to question if we'd even be getting much creativity. Oh well, I guess this universe 6 and Super DBs thing is something new that sounds interesting at least. I just hope it doesn't take too long to get there.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:14 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Tao died from Buu, I think he is dead for good. They wish back everyone expect for the really evil ones. Meaning that characters like Dabra, Babidi, the two gun men that almost kill Mr. Satan and possibly Tao didn't get wish back.
Considering Krillin became a cop in F, and there were robbers featured in that movie... yeah, you can probably still expect Tao around.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:26 pm

It could be that thieves didn't fall under "really evil", but the utterly ruthless and sadistic Tao did.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:30 pm

Captain Space wrote:Mr. Satan's apprentice (one of them, anyway) and his...agent? PR lady? I forget what she was exactly.
I'd take their appearances as more of an easter egg than anything else though. They don't speak, they're not referenced really, heck, I don't recall them even being animated really - they're just part of the backdrop. It's just a little nod of 'hey, remember these guys!' more than anything else, I'd say.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Considering Krillin became a cop in F, and there were robbers featured in that movie... yeah, you can probably still expect Tao around.
While I certainly wouldn't be opposed to Tao's re-appearance and that whole thing finally being given even more closure, I don't know that I'd count criminals being around as proof of his revival either though. The seven years in-between the Cell Games and the start of the Boo arc was stated to be pretty peaceful due to people just being happy to still be alive after Mr. Satan 'defeated' Cell, and yet, it still didn't take long for some people to return to their old ways again. I'd wager this could be something similar - the guys may not have done any robberies or the like before Boo blew up the Earth, thus they were able to be wished back. Pretty quickly afterward though, their nature and/or other stimuli could have them resorting to robbery.

It's all conjecture and guesses at this point really though.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:36 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: I'd wager this could be something similar - the guys may not have done any robberies or the like before Boo blew up the Earth, thus they were able to be wished back. Pretty quickly afterward though, their nature and/or other stimuli could have them resorting to robbery.
I sort of agree with this: the wish only took into account whether you were evil *at that moment*. Vegeta pretty conclusively proves that people change (even if just from a few hours ago) and the wish wasn't looking to see if you were ever evil or ever would be evil, just whether you were evil at that moment.

That said, unless Tao had a change of heart on the whole evil thing, he probably wasn't brought back. But maybe he was living a peaceful existence and then the Z warriors do something to annoy him and he could be evil again, I guess.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:42 pm

So since it might be awhile before I can officially support the show in the US, what are the best places to easily and affordably import some Dragon Ball Super merch? I want to support the show as soon as possible and not have to wait until Funimation does something with it.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:25 pm

No Db Super :(

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:36 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
No Db Super :(
We already knew this, if a Simulcast comes it won't be for awhile.