Rank the best villain designs!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Rank the best villain designs!

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:53 pm

So, what are your top 5 favorite villain designs from DB/DBZ/GT, including movies and specials? Who would you rank as the coolest-looking? Doesn't have to be a major villain, but please don't pick characters that turned good (i.e. Tien, Piccolo, Vegeta, etc.). You can choose any of their forms.

Some candidates:
- Pilaf
- Anyone from RRA
- King Piccolo and his minions
-Raditz
- Nappa
- Oozaru Vegeta (you can pick this form of Vegeta. <3)
- Frieza's men, including Ginyu Force
- Frieza
- Androids
- Cell
- Babidi and crew, including Dabura
- Majin Buu
- Dr. Myu and minions, including Rildo
- Bebi / Bebi Vegeta
- Super 17
- Shadow dragons
- Beerus
- Garlic Jr
- Dr. Wheelo
- Turles
- Lord Slug
- Cooler / Meta Cooler
- Super 13
- Broly
- Bio-Broly
- Bojack
- Janemba
- Hirudegarn
- Beerus
- Hatchiyack
- Abocado
- Chilled

My ranking:
5. Beerus. At first, I hated his design and thought he looked like the Easter bunny, but then... I saw him glow.
4. Bojack (base). He looks more like an anti-hero who could have brought a lot to the table, especially given his role as leader of a group of space pirates. Really cool design wasted on a shitty, generic character:
3. Cooler (base). I like his 5th form too, but his base is like a cooler (...) version of Frieza. Looks like a calculating villain that could've had a role like Darkseid, following the demise of Frieza and King Cold, if they wrote him well.
2. Broly. I'm torn between his LSSJ and base form. He looks (and is) so intimidating in the former, and so majestic/royal in the latter. When I see his base form, I can't help but wish he had more of a personality and a better backstory (and a tail).
1. (Super) Perfect Cell. He's just... perfect. <3 Green. <3 Humanoid bug design. <3 Spots (seriously, it must have been a nightmare to constantly draw these things). <3 Sexy sparks
Honorable mentions:
- Super Janemba
- Dabura
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Rank the best villain designs!

Post by LightBing » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:20 pm

Here's my favorites:
5th: Beerus
An excellent cat.

4th: Dr Wheelo
I love the brain!

3rd: Taopaipai
He's just deadly cool. The design carries it's personality in my opinion.

2nd: Freeza True Form
Very impact full taking into account the terror he represents.

1st: Imperfect Cell
Very bug like with a monster touch.

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:46 pm

5th: Broly (SC SSJ)
SSJ Broly from Broly-Second Coming is the best Broly. Fuck LSSJ...

4th: Beerus
It's funny, I show anyone I know who doesn't watch DBZ a picture of Beerus they always say he's a rabbit! :lol:
I like it, very Egyptian god like.

3rd: Freeza (Second Form/Mecha)
Tie between my two favorite forms of Freeza.

2nd: (Super) Janemba
Best designed movie villain.

1st: (Super) Perfect Cell
Hands down the best villain design Toriyama came up with.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

IDreamtIWasABee
Beyond Newbie

Post by IDreamtIWasABee » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:44 pm

Freeza's final form. Grecian Roswell Grey.

Kid Boo is the best "living cartoon" of the Boos.

Janemba is up there, but he really needs a nose.

It's more fun to talk about the overrated designs. Perfect Cell is too busy, Beerus has that insuffrable '90s 'tude in his smirk, and Androids 19 and 20 seem to have been created solely to make 17 and 18 look less ugly by comparison. As for Brolly, much as I appreciate the barely-sublimated breast expansion fetish built into his bulging muscles, he still looks ridiculous.

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:50 pm

5 Andriod 13 + 14

4 lssj broly

3 Bojack or Ninja Murasaki

2 Janemba final form

1 Cooler final form

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:54 pm

5) The Shadow Dragons

4) Freeza (Final Form)

3) Janemba

2) Perfect Cell

1) Beerus :D

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:12 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:5) The Shadow Dragons

4) Freeza (Final Form)

3) Janemba

2) Perfect Cell

You just chose 7 different characters for #5!
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:41 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:

4) Freeza (Final Form)

3) Janemba

2) Perfect Cell

I can't specifically choose one between them. They all have awesome and unique designs.

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:47 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:

4) Freeza (Final Form)

3) Janemba

2) Perfect Cell

I can't specifically choose one between them. They all have awesome and unique designs.
Wow. Haze, Naturon, and Rage must be flattered to be categorized with the likes of Eis, Nuova, and Omega.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:52 pm

Omega Shen long and Freeza.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:59 pm

In addition to many of the popular choices mentioned, I'd like to bring up King Piccolo (both in his older and younger forms).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

NintendoFan28

Post by NintendoFan28 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:22 pm

5.) Freeza (Second Form)

4.) Super Bebi Vegeta 2

3. Super Janemba

2.) Super Boo (SSJ 3 Gotenks & Piccolo Absorbed)

1. Imperfect Cell

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:30 am

Everyone is forgetting this badass

Still probably one of the best designs for any henchman in the series. Shame his only real claim to fame is appearing in "Rock the Dragon".
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:13 am

5. Beerus
4. Imperfect Cell
3. Final Form Freezer
2. Kid Buu
1. Perfect Cell

Perfect Cell hands down is the best villain in the series, both design and personality wise, IMO.
He looked really like a threat.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:29 am

Too many to choose...

Dragon Ball

5. Tsurusennin

4. Pilaf

3. Major Metallitron

2. Tao Pai Pai

1. Piccolo Daimao

Dragon Ball Z

5. Dabura

4. Dr. Gero

3. Perfect Cell

2. Super Buu(Base)

1. Freeza(Final Form)

Movies

5. Tullece

4. Broly(Base)

3. Cooler(Final Form)

2. Super Jamemba

1. Beerus

Overall Rankings

5. Piccolo Daimao

4. Perfect Cell

3. Beerus

2. Super Buu(Base)

1. Freeza(Final Form)

It was hard deciding between Super Buu and Freeza, but Freeza edged out because of how iconic and memorable his final form is compared to Buu. Hopefully Super will have designs that are as good as the rest of the series, and won't be mimics like Champa is.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Weedity

Post by Weedity » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:10 am

This is tough, I'm just going to pick the ones that stuck with me.

1. Imperfect Cell - This form really stuck with me, he scared me, he was so damn freaky looking. Absorbing people, sneaky, he was literally a monster dwelling in the darkness.
2. Freeza's third form - The alien looking form, this one really stuck with me as a child. I always thought he looked so bad-ass
3. Super Boo - I always loved the way he looked, the way he stood, the way he smiled. He was very intimidating!
4. Raditz - I was always a fan of Raditz, and his majestic hair. I just always loved the way he looked.
5. Cooler final form - I think his final form was awesome looking, and definitely had an intimidating look to it!

PolatGuy92

Post by PolatGuy92 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:17 am

5. Darbura
Such a underrated character, but I sure loved how this guy looks! It was something different and kinda unique from something like Dragon Ball to have a real demon kinda character in the series.

4. Cooler (final form)
It gave him more an intimate look. My favourite part was his mouth as if it looks like he's giving you that feeling that he's super fast as hell for some strange reason haha (maybe something to do with jets in terms of inspiration?.. I don't know lol) overal a good design.

3. Cell (imperfect form)
Well he sure gave me chills when I still was a kid so those are some good points right there haha. Imperfect Cell might be the number 1 scary looking villian from the Dragon Ball franchise especially his first debut and with the absorbing of the rich man. It almost gave me nightmares so yeah Imperfect Cell definitely has the third spot.

2. Super Buu (base form)
There is something I really like about Super Buu's first design. For some reason he reminds me of some hooligan or a thug kinda guy the way he moves and talk sometimes. I lost my interest of him when he absorbed Gotenks and Piccolo and gave him more an intelligence and Cell kinda villain feeling.

1. Beerus
I really like Beerus design he fits perfectly in the DB verse and I love the ancient egyptian clothes it makes him powerfull. :D

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:10 pm

5. Hildegarn - It's just monstrous and unlike the usual bulky dude that is your typical DB enemy. Broly is kind of a god send in the fact that the only way Koyama could top his favorite creation was to plug in flat-out monsters like Hildegarn and Janemba. I wonder how much farther in that direction we wouldv'e gone if we got more movies during that era of production.
4. Butta - He doesn't look like anybody else in DB. It's the snake/lizard face and red, pupil-less eyes.
3. Cell (all) - Has Toriyama ever given a reason why Cell has this color scheme? My best guess is it's partial camouflage for sneaking up on unsuspecting victims he's about to drain. All three forms do their job succinctly; they establish that Cell has gotten much more powerful.
2. Coola (all) - Less androgynous than Freeza. Also, a mouth guard. That's unique.
1. Janemba (all) - Again, when all has been exhausted and Toei's backed into a corner, they're forced to come up with something absolutely bonkers. A garish, vibrant color pallet combined with a teleportation gimmick that breaks him down into cubes, and the ability to open dimensional gates with punches. What is going on? I love it.

Overall, I like the sleek and simple guys. Special shout-out to all the Buus and Android 18 when she's denim-clad.

And, while it's not Dragon Ball or even a villain, there is Toriyama's Cashman, who is basically Coola wearing robot armor, so he is instantly the coolest.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:59 pm

Wow, it's going to be hard narrowing these down, but let's give it a shot!

5. Kid Buu - Something about his small and compact appearance gives him that slick image. Couple that with his relentlessly vile tendencies and he makes you think twice about judging someone by size.

4. Draw between Beerus and Final Form Frieza

Beerus - His mystical appearance is quite awe-inspiring.

Final Form Frieza - Another slick design that proudly sports a small body. His lizard-like characteristics are icing on the cake.

3. Dabura - Properly portrays his image as a malevolent warrior of high rank.

2. Draw between Janemba and Fifth Form Cooler

Janemba - If evil could be drawn out in the world of DBZ, this guy would be it.

Fifth Form Cooler - A mutant, a dinosaur, and a warrior all in one.

1. Meta-Cooler - Undisputed champion! He has the same features that give Frieza that spine chilling look, but with a clean coat of metal as an added perk. That hint of teal really seals the deal.

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:20 pm

Special mentions

-Beerus: I think he's pretty cool with a design that's really grown on me, but honestly I can't really classify him as a villain...
- Fat Boo: Well he was bad and now he's good so I guess I can't count him... But I've always found him crazy adorable! I just really like his look with his diaper-pants and his
- #16: Something about Toriyama characters with mohawks that I really dig... I don't even know why... Every time I see someone in real life with a mohawk it just kind of weirds me out... But again he's in that vague villain/hero category so I won't add him...
-Boohan: I just really how gets more and more humanoid with each guy he absorbs. Sadly, Cell not only beat him to the punch but did it better.

5. Dabra: Vampire teeth, a horned forehead, a cape, an evil villain beard, and giant elf ears that rivals Piccolo's! Akkuman wishes he looked this epic!
4. Tao Pai Pai: His general demeanor and his neato Chinese dress-thingy with the words 'KILL YOU' on the back are enough to bring him somewhere on this list.
3. Cell (final form) : He gets more human looking and he just looks cool. He's so arrogant that he doesn't even need his stupid tail thing to absorb.
2. Majin Boo (pure): I like his simplicity and child like appearance. It makes sense given he has no self-control. He's just a force of nature bent on total destruction.
1. Freeza (final form): When he first appeared in the manga, he just creeped me the heck out. Clearly Toriyama went more simple and unassuming with his general design as he later would with the kid Boo, but unlike Boo, that cold, murderous look in his eyes shows Freeza has complete control and clear malicious intent. Then again... his nose is kinda weird... No, no I'm giving Freeza... Guys been through a lot... I mean sure he brought it on himself but hey, he deserves at least this...