Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:57 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:Well, it reached top 5. I'm satisfied.
If it kept like that in top 5 all the way through, it would be great.

Worldwide is the number 1 anyway.
Same here, and btw your signature describes how I feel. Never in my life had I thought I would be able to enjoy a weekly series of Gintama and Dragon Ball.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:12 am

Is Dragon Ball more popular outside Japan?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:33 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Is Dragon Ball more popular outside Japan?
If you count all the countries together, probably, yes. If you're asking if any specific country or continent is more fond of DB than Japan, then no.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:29 pm

If you put Dragon Ball into Google Trends it can give you an idea of where the series is most popular based on a search volume index. It might not count Japan as they wouldn't search "Dragon Ball".

It would seem that the series is particularly popular in South American countries.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:40 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Well, it reached top 5. I'm satisfied.
If it kept like that in top 5 all the way through, it would be great.

Worldwide is the number 1 anyway.
Same here, and btw your signature describes how I feel. Never in my life had I thought I would be able to enjoy a weekly series of Gintama and Dragon Ball.
Definitely. Its just unreal! :D
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:23 pm

I said 8.0 and top 5 would be the best and and most realistic prediction, and that was almost spot on.
Bullza wrote:Not bad, I expected more though I suppose. Surprised it's lower than Kai's first episode.
We can't really compare it to Kai's first episode in 2009, tv ratings were still much higher back then, it was even before Japan had made the jump to HD (as reference, the eternal #1 Sazae-San can rarely do more than 15.0 now, when it used to be a 20.0+ at the time. Precure was between 7.0-8.0, look where it is now. Let's not even talk about Pokemon).

A more fair comparison is Kai 2.0, which had very good ratings already, while Super saw was a substantial increase right in the first episode. And the three shows above it all have better timeslots. Super also gave One Piece a "super" boost, i don't remember the last time it got that high ratings.

Btw, the incredibly popular shows Detective Conan and Doraemon didn't air this week, but judging by their current ratings trend, they most likely would've been beaten by Super.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:14 pm

Araki wrote:I said 8.0 and top 5 would be the best and and most realistic prediction, and that was almost spot on.

Btw, the incredibly popular shows Detective Conan and Doraemon didn't air this week, but judging by their current ratings trend, they most likely would've been beaten by Super.
The next week (the same week Kai ended) they were both back up higher

Based on Conan, Doraemon, and Shin-chan not airing and what they tend to get (And what they got when Kai ended) it's pretty likely Super would have been 7th, same as Kai.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:25 pm

Bullza wrote:If you put Dragon Ball into Google Trends it can give you an idea of where the series is most popular based on a search volume index. It might not count Japan as they wouldn't search "Dragon Ball".

It would seem that the series is particularly popular in South American countries.
Me as someone from SA, I can say without doubt that Dragon Ball is very popular in South America (though the Z part is more popular).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Rozay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rozay » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:47 pm

In Brazil, at least in the cities and from the people I know, if you were a kid in the 90's and didn't seen Z, it was like you had no childhood almost :lol:

Also, everyone my age at least knows it. So yeah, pretty popular.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:50 pm

Rozay wrote:In Brazil, at least in the cities and from the people I know, if you were a kid in the 90's and didn't seen Z, it was like you had no childhood almost :lol:

Also, everyone my age at least knows it. So yeah, pretty popular.
Yep, in my country its the same.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:11 am

Bullza wrote:If you put Dragon Ball into Google Trends it can give you an idea of where the series is most popular based on a search volume index. It might not count Japan as they wouldn't search "Dragon Ball".

You can add France here as well, or let's just stay all of southern europe.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:07 pm

Soon Dragonball will reclaim its rightful place as the king of anime, and Oda will fall.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:31 pm

Add Italy too. EVERYONE from 90's knows of Dragon Ball. Even parents, obviously.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:45 pm

^Well, you can add most of world to to that list. And Portugal too.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:05 pm

On a Worldwide scale I'm positive that Dragon Ball Super will be the #1 most watched anime for as long as it continues to air. It likely wouldn't be close either.

Dbzejo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzejo » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:24 am

sangofe wrote:

You can add France here as well, or let's just stay all of southern europe.
Yes! Even the Balkans !!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:01 pm

TKA wrote:Soon Dragonball will reclaim its rightful place as the king of anime, and Oda will fall.
It never lost it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:04 pm

On a worldwide scale only a handful animes are universally recognized and part of the global popculture - DB, Sailor Moon, Pokemon. Maaaaybe Saint Seiya, Naruto & Digimon too but the first 3 are the only ones I'm confident even parents know

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:16 am

Saint Seiya? I never really got a sense of that being all that popular. The others sure, you hear about them often but I'd never heard of Saint Seiya before I got into anime and rarely ever see anyone talk about it now.

It didn't even get fully dubbed in English did it?

From what I've seen and heard both on and offline, Dragon Ball Z and Pokémon are in a league of their of their own, possibly household names.

Then below that you'd have Naruto, Digimon, Sailor Moon and Yu Gi Oh.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:57 am

Bullza wrote:Saint Seiya? I never really got a sense of that being all that popular. The others sure, you hear about them often but I'd never heard of Saint Seiya before I got into anime and rarely ever see anyone talk about it now.

It didn't even get fully dubbed in English did it?

From what I've seen and heard both on and offline, Dragon Ball Z and Pokémon are in a league of their of their own, possibly household names.

Then below that you'd have Naruto, Digimon, Sailor Moon and Yu Gi Oh.
Saint Seiya is very popular in many countries, just not English speaking ones.

That's one of the reasons Toei went to such lengths for the animation quality of the recent CGI film, they knew they'd be able to sell it heavily elsewhere.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.