"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by sangofe » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:09 am

So, since this thread is gigantic... Any news on FUNimation streaming DB super?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:10 am

sangofe wrote:So, since this thread is gigantic... Any news on FUNimation streaming DB super?
Nope. If ANY international licensing was a thing, you would know about it by now :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:19 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:Bulma's birthday is taking place on a cruise ship...
The courtyard in BoG where the party is taking place transforms into a ship.
No, a cruise ship, her birthday is on the "Princess Bulma"
Luso Saiyan wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:And we know that the movies aren't going to be "worked around" because episode 4 and 5 are both focused on BoG stuff.
What exactly is known about episodes 4 and 5?
Episode 4 involves the Pilaf gang sneaking onto the Princess Bulma and Episode 5 has the SSJ3 VS Beerus "fight".

Weedity

Post by Weedity » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:23 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:Bulma's birthday is taking place on a cruise ship...
The courtyard in BoG where the party is taking place transforms into a ship.
ArchedThunder wrote:And we know that the movies aren't going to be "worked around" because episode 4 and 5 are both focused on BoG stuff.
What exactly is known about episodes 4 and 5?
Well, since her party is taking place on a cruise ship, in the water, it's a lot different than the movie. The movie the courtyard had a flying ship..

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:26 am

sintzu wrote:
MaGyunia wrote:I've never liked the way DBZ ended, with that last Tenkaichi Budokai and the introduction of Uub.
You're in luck cause if Videl is announced to be pregnant then that'll mean Toriyama is rewriting the ending.
Yes, that would be the ideal thing to do. If we need to go through the process of "decanonizing" BoG and Fukkatsu no F, where's the harm in rectonning those last 3 episodes of DBZ, have Pan be born much sooner than she was in DBZ (a number of months after the defeat of Kid Buu instead of 6 years later) and even be able to - if they choose to do so - keep the ritual to achieve Super Saiya-jin God exactly the same it was in BoG? They can pretty much do whatever they want with the timeline and the timing at which events and characters are introduced, we're the ones who need to adapt to it, not the other way around. This would mean that if the last 3 episodes of DBZ are basically going to be "erased from the timeline's history", we don't need to worry about the inconsistencies with her age. 10 years later she would obviously be 9 years old instead of 4, but that doesn't even matter if they're indeed going to retcon the last 3 episodes of DBZ.

Weedity

Post by Weedity » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:34 am

MaGyunia wrote:
sintzu wrote:
MaGyunia wrote:I've never liked the way DBZ ended, with that last Tenkaichi Budokai and the introduction of Uub.
You're in luck cause if Videl is announced to be pregnant then that'll mean Toriyama is rewriting the ending.
Yes, that would be the ideal thing to do. If we need to go through the process of "decanonizing" BoG and Fukkatsu no F, where's the harm in rectonning those last 3 episodes of DBZ, have Pan be born much sooner than she was in DBZ (a number of months after the defeat of Kid Buu instead of 6 years later) and even be able to - if they choose to do so - keep the ritual to achieve Super Saiya-jin God exactly the same it was in BoG? They can pretty much do whatever they want with the timeline and the timing at which events and characters are introduced, we're the ones who need to adapt to it, not the other way around. This would mean that if the last 3 episodes of DBZ are basically going to be "erased from the timeline's history", we don't need to worry about the inconsistencies with her age. 10 years later she would obviously be 9 years old instead of 4, but that doesn't even matter if they're indeed going to retcon the last 3 episodes of DBZ.
I'd personally rather not have Toriyama retcon the last chapters of Dragon Ball. Seems like a silly move to do so many years after the ending has already came out and been cemented in the fandom.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:36 am

ArchedThunder wrote:Episode 4 involves the Pilaf gang sneaking onto the Princess Bulma and Episode 5 has the SSJ3 VS Beerus "fight".
I see. It seems I've skipped the last few pages.

DisapprovingOwl
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DisapprovingOwl » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:40 am

Weedity wrote:I'd personally rather not have Toriyama retcon the last chapters of Dragon Ball. Seems like a silly move to do so many years after the ending has already came out and been cemented in the fandom.
Whether or not Super progresses past the end of the manga, I'd like to see those chapters reanimated and included, even if it's an end-of-Z situation in that there's a timeskip and then they're the final episodes. My reasoning? It'd be lovely to actually see the Kanzenban additions to the ending animated, such as Goku passing down the Kinto-Un to Uub.

If the series then continued past that point and gave us some Uub & Goku student-and-mentor interactions before a final arc showing the torch has been well and truly passed to a new generation, even better! = )

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:41 am

"I'd personally rather not have Toriyama retcon the last chapters of Dragon Ball. Seems like a silly move to do so many years after the ending has already came out and been cemented in the fandom."

I partially agree. I don't quite like the concept of altering events which were assimilated as canon continuations of the main timeline of the series, but taking into account that we'll be "forced" to adapt to the fact that BoG and perhaps the 2008 special and Fukkatsu no F never "happened" (at least the way they did, in the circumstances they did and at the timing in which they did) due to retcons, it would make a retcon of those last 3 episodes of DBZ easier to accept. But anyway, I'm not really a fan of "decanonizing" events after they've been assimilated as canon. We can only pretty much speculate at this point, we'll have to wait and see exactly when Pan is conceived, when Beerus and Whis go to Earth, how and when Goku reaches the Super Saiya-jin God stage, etc. I personally like to know in advance what will or won't be canon, but in this case there's no alternative but to wait and actually see what happens as DBSuper's episodes come out, and then finally be able to put the entire sequence together, which is just impossible to do right now.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:46 am

With obviously no timeskip ahead anytime soon, since Battle of Gods has already started in Super, it's going to be either one or the other:
either Videl being pregnant during Beerus' visit is taken out (meaning altering the Super Saiyan God concept), or Pan's age in the epilogue (and perhaps the epilogue itself) is rewritten.

This is interesting, but since it's mostly Battle of Gods that gets rewritten/enhanced so far, chances are that the problem will be solved by taking Videl's pregnancy out. But we'll see, they could simply not care and go "do the math, people, adapt your vision of the epilogue on your own according to what we just did and re-imagine it by yourself, that's it, period".

I didn't think they would actually rewrite Battle of Gods a few weeks ago, but now proofs pile up to indicate we already are in a new updated, more detailed version of Battle of Gods right now.
And I'm okay with it, I've always liked the concept of updating/re-thinking/improving/refining stuff. Nothing should be cemented as definitive, there's always room for improvement and saying "THIS is no longer the definitive stuff, THAT is what it's like now after having thought about it again and having made improvements".

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:50 am

Am I the only here thats kind of disappointed that the first half of Super will just be re telling Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F?

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:50 am

Cold Skin wrote:With obviously no timeskip ahead anytime soon, since Battle of Gods has already started in Super, it's going to be either one or the other:
either Videl being pregnant during Beerus' visit is taken out (meaning altering the Super Saiyan God concept), or Pan's age in the epilogue (and perhaps the epilogue itself) is rewritten.

This is interesting, but since it's mostly Battle of Gods that gets rewritten/enhanced so far, chances are that the problem will be solved by taking Videl's pregnancy out.

I didn't think they would actually rewrite Battle of Gods a few weeks ago, but now proofs pile up to indicate we already are in a new updated, more detailed version of Battle of Gods right now.
And I'm okay with it, I've always liked the concept of updating/re-thinking/improving/refining stuff. Nothing should be cemented as definitive, there's always room for improvement and saying "THIS is no longer the definitive stuff, THAT is what it's like now after improvements".
They basically realized the entire potential Beerus and Whis as characters have, along with the concept of Super Saiya-jin God, and decided to go and do an arc-long version of BoG, without the time restrictions typical of a movie. They COULD have chosen not to alter a single thing in the timeline sequence we've had before (Majin Buu arc - 2008 special - BoG - Fukkatsu no F - last 3 episodes of DBZ), but by now, after all these discussions, I'm pretty ok with having Beerus, Whis and the concept of Super Saiya-jin God be introduced like they were in BoG although in different circumstances and at a different timing.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:51 am

As I go by my own pick and choose buffet style canon, I have no problem with the BOG rewrite. If I like it better than the original, I'll use it.

If they do retcon Pan's age to make her older, I hope they bring Bra along with her. Vegeta's interactions with Bra are always charming in fan art. They're a fun team.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:51 am

Cold Skin wrote:With obviously no timeskip ahead anytime soon, since Battle of Gods has already started in Super, it's going to be either one or the other:

This is interesting, but since it's mostly Battle of Gods that gets rewritten/enhanced so far, chances are that the problem will be solved by taking Videl's pregnancy out. But we'll see, they could simply not care and go "do the math, people, adapt your vision of the epilogue on your own according to what we just did and re-imagine it by yourself, that's it, period".
They could also take the much darker route and just claim it was a miscarriage.
Of course that would be pretty ridiculous for this franchise.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:54 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Am I the only here thats kind of disappointed that the first half of Super will just be re telling Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F?
It's going to amount to much less than half of the series.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:54 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Am I the only here thats kind of disappointed that the first half of Super will just be re telling Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F?
Taking into account the fact that we're being presented with an entire new series with who-knows how many new episodes, you can look at the retelling of BoG and Fukkatsu no F as only the first two major arcs within DBSuper after these first smooth family episodes. I'm pretty sure they won't stretch the Beerus and Freeza arcs for too long, so we'll get to the exploration of the 6th Universe arc sooner than you might expect, and then you'll be able to witness truly entirely new stuff, characters, villains, events and stages. I'm not at all disappointed, I pretty much welcome anything Toriyama has to offer us at this point with open arms.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:07 am

Araki wrote:The website was updated with a short summary for episode 3, it seems Kuririn's family will get their share of focus too.
That's great to hear. Krillin's family deserve time in the sun, at least. And hey, since #17 is technically a part of Krillin's family, this could mean a return from him. Which could set up all kinds of hilarious exchanges.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:09 am

There could be a small time skip coming up, Beerus could spend years destroying planets, and Goku could spend years on Kaio's planet training, that would explain why Beerus remembers his dream a second time and Whis seems to have forgotten about it.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:10 am

The series is going to be at least 100 episodes long according to the official site, and we know Goku starts fighting Beerus by episode 5, so I'd say the movies are going to take up a very small portion of the series.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:26 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Araki wrote:The website was updated with a short summary for episode 3, it seems Kuririn's family will get their share of focus too.
That's great to hear. Krillin's family deserve time in the sun, at least. And hey, sin #17 is technically a part of Krillin's family, this could mean a return from him. Which could set up all kinds of hilarious exchanges.
I remember the last time there was a... "family reunion", in GT, and it did not end well for Kuririn.