Trans/Gay/Bi-sexual villians

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Re: Trans/Gay/Bi-sexual villians

Post by Alex9196 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:35 pm

funrush wrote:
Alex9196 wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:There already was a tranny villain in the English dub. Freeza. :thumbup:
you think so? that is my 2 favorite freeza voice. i liked it.

also its weird, i heard it many times now that freezas voice makes him more feminin or something.

but i never heard gokus voice makes him feminin (japanese)
I mean Freeza has a more androgynous appearance than Goku does, I know a lot of my friends growing up thought Freeza was a girl at first.

Edit: Also, if Whis turns out to be gay, I'd say your first LGBT character being the strongest in the entire universe is a pretty good start.
what is LGBT?

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:37 pm

Alex9196 wrote:
funrush wrote:
Alex9196 wrote:
you think so? that is my 2 favorite freeza voice. i liked it.

also its weird, i heard it many times now that freezas voice makes him more feminin or something.

but i never heard gokus voice makes him feminin (japanese)
I mean Freeza has a more androgynous appearance than Goku does, I know a lot of my friends growing up thought Freeza was a girl at first.

Edit: Also, if Whis turns out to be gay, I'd say your first LGBT character being the strongest in the entire universe is a pretty good start.
what is LGBT?
Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender, someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:38 pm

ok i know the other three but what is transgender?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:41 pm

funrush wrote:Also, if Whis turns out to be gay, I'd say your first LGBT character being the strongest in the entire universe is a pretty good start.
Whis wouldn't be the first LGBT character, General Blue of the Red Ribbon Army & Otoko Suki from the 28th Tenkaich Budokai were both homosexual characters in the manga.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:51 pm

Alex9196 wrote:ok i know the other three but what is transgender?
A Person who is born with the body of one sex (IE Male or Female) whose mind and gender identity don't match up with that sex.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
funrush wrote:Also, if Whis turns out to be gay, I'd say your first LGBT character being the strongest in the entire universe is a pretty good start.
Whis wouldn't be the first LGBT character, General Blue of the Red Ribbon Army & Otoko Suki from the 28th Tenkaich Budokai were both homosexual characters in the manga.
Blue and Otokosuki are problematic to the extreme. Otokosuki is just a big parody whose only purpose is to be a punchline ("Haha get it? He's wearing leather and making several unwanted advances at Trunks, which is OBVIOUSLY making Trunks Uncomfortable. COMEDY!")
Blue isn't really too bad in the Manga, but the Anime's decision to add in that he's also a pedophile is really bad. It plays into the whole "All gay guys want to touch little boys" stereotype which is offensive to the extreme.

Whis, if he is indeed gay, would be the first 100% respectful portrayal of one, at least so far.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

funrush

Post by funrush » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:02 pm

Alex9196 wrote:ok i know the other three but what is transgender?
Transgender is when someone born a certain biological sex identifies with the opposite gender (or both or even neither, there's a bit of terminology to read up on if you're interested). Popular examples are Laverne Cox and Caitlyn Jenner.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
You're right, I can't even believe I forgot about them. I guess it was because Otoko was a joke character and I haven't read the Red Ribbon arc in a few years now. I change my statement from "good start" to "cancelling out the stereotype and the Nazi".

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:05 pm

Whis' ki should be rainbow.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:17 pm

DemonRin wrote: but the Anime's decision to add in that he's also a pedophile is really bad.
Clarification, please?

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:29 pm

Doctor. wrote:
DemonRin wrote: but the Anime's decision to add in that he's also a pedophile is really bad.
Clarification, please?
In the manga, Blue just makes some offhanded comment to the effect that he's not interested in girls and doesn't swing that way, IIRC. Basically a decent portrayal, though there's an argument to be made that the Nazi-esque uniform and military attitude is perhaps not coincidental and is intended as some kind of jab/stereotype. (I don't know and am not claiming to know if it actually is that or not.)

In the anime, again to my vague memory so correct me if I'm wrong, he creepily hits on kid Goku and I think another small boy. Not a good portrayal, suffice to say.
fadeddreams5 wrote:Whis is the greatest thing to come out of modern DB. <3
I'd like to agree with you, but Beerus is too hilarious/awesome XD
Last edited by Captain Space on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:30 pm

Oh, I wasn't aware of Blue's portrayal in the anime, after a bit of research, it appears it was in the Penguin Village section of the arc, I always skip that part whenever I watch the anime, so I wouldn't remember it too well.
Why not both?

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:34 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Why not both?
I'll give Whis a close second, haha. Though my time on this forum has also made me seriously start to love the so-kawaii SSJG look...ah, I guess I just really love BoG and Super.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:44 am

Alex9196 wrote:yeah i watched it a few minutes ago. i admit i seemed a bit weird but whatever.

somehow i cant understand the character of whis. on one hand he is way stronger than beerus and his teacher. but on the other hand he calls beerus "sama" and acts like his servant. this doesnt make sense to me.

especially in episode 3 beerus was like
hey whis, take me on a trip.
hey whis, make me something to eat.
hey whis, prepare my bath.
hey whis, prepare us lunch for our trip.

its very confusing to me. much more confusing than his reaction to a naked beerus.
You'll also notice that Goku calls Kaio "Kaio-sama". Despite being way stronger than him.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:35 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Whis' ki should be rainbow.
Why? I understand that Whis seems quite effeminate, but doesn't that seem a little over the top?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:38 am

Well maybe he can have one rainbow colored attack then, like Gogeta's in movie 12.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:48 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Well maybe he can have one rainbow colored attack then, like Gogeta's in movie 12.
Whis: Taste the rainbow, motherfucker!

Now I can't get that image out of my head. :P

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:08 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Alex9196 wrote:yeah i watched it a few minutes ago. i admit i seemed a bit weird but whatever.

somehow i cant understand the character of whis. on one hand he is way stronger than beerus and his teacher. but on the other hand he calls beerus "sama" and acts like his servant. this doesnt make sense to me.

its very confusing to me. much more confusing than his reaction to a naked beerus.
You'll also notice that Goku calls Kaio "Kaio-sama". Despite being way stronger than him.
yes but goku was once a pupil of him so it makes sense to me. also with roshi, i am not sure but i think he talks respectful to roshi too. but i never heard of a teacher calling his student sama. especially if he is weaker.

Dbzejo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzejo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:15 am

No... Just, no... We had Blue and Zarbon and thats enough...

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:23 am

Alex9196 wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:

yes but goku was once a pupil of him so it makes sense to me. also with roshi, i am not sure but i think he talks respectful to roshi too. but i never heard of a teacher calling his student sama. especially if he is weaker.
Well Whis' job is Beerus' attendant. He's like his assistant. So strength is really irrelevant. Whis doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would go bossing people around just because he's stronger than them anyway.

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:28 am

like i said before i dont understand whis character until now.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:05 am

Dbzejo wrote:No... Just, no... We had Blue and Zarbon and thats enough...
I...don't really understand what you're saying here.