Why Didn't Goku and Vegeta Train With Higher Gravity?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hero
Beyond Newbie

Why Didn't Goku and Vegeta Train With Higher Gravity?

Post by Hero » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:28 pm

On the trip to Namek, Goku is shown making tremendous gains by using gravity training. He goes from weaker than Vegeta to stomping the Ginyu Force (sans the Captain) by just training with 100x. Heck, even before that, Goku went from weaker than Raditz to over 8,000 by just training with 10x gravity.

Vegeta trains with gravity much higher than 100x and ends up rivaling to being even a little stronger than Goku in the early Androids Saga.

So then, since gravity training has given them some of their biggest strength increases why didn't Goku and Vegeta continue training with higher and higher levels of gravity.They still gravity train, true, but Vegeta has never been shown using more than 450x if my memory is correct and Goku mainly sticks to King Kai's planet's measly 10x.

Knowing Vegeta's character, after seeing how much gravity training benefited him he would have jumped straight to 500x then 1,000x and so on while in the 7 year time skip. I just don't see why him and Goku never did that.

Also, how strong do you think Goku and Vegeta would be if they continued training with crazier and crazier levels of gravity? I'm talking about 1,000,000x and 1,000,000,000x haha.

mmg86
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Why Didn't Goku and Vegeta Train With Higher Gravity?

Post by mmg86 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:41 pm

Two possible answers. 1, the gravity chamber might not be able to increase gravity any further. 2, they would become pancakes if they attempted higher levels of gravity.

h0kuten
Banned

Post by h0kuten » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:48 pm

Toriyama said one's muscles can only become so stronger, in order to get stronger they would need to learn to control their Chi.

Also, Goku abused Zenkai's on his way to Namek, that's what made him stronger, not necessarily the strong gravity.

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:58 am

h0kuten wrote:Toriyama said one's muscles can only become so stronger, in order to get stronger they would need to learn to control their Chi.

Also, Goku abused Zenkai's on his way to Namek, that's what made him stronger, not necessarily the strong gravity.
Excellent answer.

It seems like ki is what makes up the vast majority of power for some individuals, as we've seen that even the mightiest of warriors are completely vulnerable when their ki is down.

On the contrary, certain beings seem to rely less on their spiritual ki and more on the sheer power that their bodies could physically exert. This was evidenced when Frieza was shown surviving a major explosion, even after being beaten to the brink of his life.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:14 am

I always thought that it was because they couldn't build the gravity chambers to handle much more than that.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:49 am

I think they could continued to train in higher gravity, but Goku didn't had a chamber anymore. As for Vegeta, I think he was seen training in 450G or something. Maybe even more in Super.

I didn't watch GT, maybe he trained there under more gravity, but i wouldn't care.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:16 am

My theory is diminishing returns. That would explain why Vegeta is seen training only at 150G in the Boo Arc and in Super. It's probably the ideal gravity, that doesn't burden the body and provides an advantageous training.

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:59 am

150x could be the limit of gravity chamber...

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:41 pm

Super Vegetto wrote:150x could be the limit of gravity chamber...
No I don't think it is, in the manga Vegeta asks Dr. Briefs to make him a Gravity chamber with 300x Earths gravity, and Dr Briefs doesn't hint in the slightest that he wouldn't be capable of making one. If you follow the anime Vegeta is seen training in 450x. I think so anyway.

Hero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:25 pm

h0kuten wrote:Toriyama said one's muscles can only become so stronger, in order to get stronger they would need to learn to control their Chi.

Isn't gravity training just another way to increase ki, though. All the training they characters do, even when it's lifting weights, is to increase ki since that's what gives them their strength. I don't see why gravity training would be any different.

And Vegeta trained with gravity after the Namek Saga when zenkais no longer were are great and prevalent, so gravity training has been shown to give great increases without zenkais.

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:44 pm

Because Toriyama and his lazy writers forgot about this whole gravity training, they even made vegeta struggle against 150X gravity in the new series and i mean come on! This is stupid, stop nerfing the characters. Pissing me off
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:09 pm

Hero wrote:So then, since gravity training has given them some of their biggest strength increases why didn't Goku and Vegeta continue training with higher and higher levels of gravity..
Because this:

Hero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:32 pm

Galan007 wrote:
Hero wrote:So then, since gravity training has given them some of their biggest strength increases why didn't Goku and Vegeta continue training with higher and higher levels of gravity..
Because this:
Agreed that that is Goku's mentality when it comes to training, but that was in context to the RoSaT. Goku also had that mentality in the Saiyan Saga yet trained with extreme gravity a short time after that. And Vegeta definitely does not think like that.

Personally, I think Toriyama just abandoned the idea if gravity training to introduce the RoSaT.

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:37 am

Quality over quantity is truly something that Goku abides by. He's probably found a way to gain just as much from his training without the usage of the gravity room, if not more.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:34 am

Goku and Vegeta didn't train with higher gravity because, at least at that stage, they had pretty much maxed out the strength and power they could gain from high gravity training. If they trained at gravity that was any higher, they would wrecked their bodies or killed themselves.