Why doesn't Vegeta declare himself king?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Why doesn't Vegeta declare himself king?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:42 am

His father is dead, as is anyone else who could possibly outrank him. So why does he settle on being the prince of all Saiyans when he could rightfully declare himself king?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

sintzu
Banned

Re: Why doesn't Vegeta declare himself king?

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:49 am

Maybe he doesn't out of respect to his father.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:52 am

Maybe there's some kind of ceremony he would've had to go through to be declared king that's literally impossible for him to recreate now that he's minus a planet and only has one subject left.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:53 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:His father is dead, as is anyone else who could possibly outrank him. So why does he settle on being the prince of all Saiyans when he could rightfully declare himself king?
Because in his mind, the King should be more powerful than any of his subjects(Saiyans are a warrior race, after all)... But Goku will always have the edge in that department.

He's also not as much of an egotistical prick as he used to be. I don't think he cares much about title these days. /shrug

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:01 am

Freeza was likely against it for most of his life. Had Vegeta succeeded in overthrowing Freeza, he probably would've declared himself king. But then Goku goes Super Saiyan, and Vegeta starts chasing after him. Likewise, if Vegeta had destroyed the Androids and proven himself superior, he probably would've called himself King. But then the Cell Games broke him and he settled into life on Earth and stopped caring about the whole thing.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:14 am

Galan007 wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:His father is dead, as is anyone else who could possibly outrank him. So why does he settle on being the prince of all Saiyans when he could rightfully declare himself king?
Because in his mind, the King should be more powerful than any of his subjects(Saiyans are a warrior race, after all)... But Goku will always have the edge in that department.

He's also not as much of an egotistical prick as he used to be. I don't think he cares much about title these days. /shrug
He was stronger than his father though.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:33 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Galan007 wrote:

He was stronger than his father though.
As a kid, he was? Was that stated in-canon?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:38 am

Galan007 wrote:As a kid, he was? Was that stated in-canon?
Yes. He said he was stronger than his father when he was a kid, it's in the manga.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:39 am

We don't know for sure if he was stronger than King Vegeta before Freeza blew the planet up or if he only grew stronger in the years after that (he would still have some "kid" years left after that point, after all), but he does mention at some point that he was already stronger than his father was even as a kid.

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:46 am

I never understood that either, because why would he have respect for his father? He was weaker than Bardock, who was considered "low class scum", was Beerus footstool and always did everything Freeza told him to do. So why would he have respect for him?

But his "Prince of all Saiyans" thing also never made sense to me. What good does a prince if there are 7 Saiyans left?

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:22 pm

There is no King without a Kingdom...

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:25 pm

King of what? Space debris and three guys? Vegeta just clings to his royalty title because of his pride but he is fully aware that he is a former prince that won't be a king because there's no kingdom.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:35 pm

It's not really the title of "prince" that Vegeta clings onto, or even cares about, but the royal blood that should entitle him, in his mind, to greater abilities than any other in the universe--specifically, Goku. Hence, he could care less about being a "king." He only brings up his status as the former prince of the saiyans to remind himself and others of his fighting potential.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:47 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:It's not really the title of "prince" that Vegeta clings onto, or even cares about, but the royal blood that should entitle him, in his mind, to greater abilities than any other in the universe--specifically, Goku. Hence, he could care less about being a "king." He only brings up his status as the former prince of the saiyans to remind himself and others of his fighting potential.
If that's all, he could just say that's a super elite or that he is royalty. He chooses to specifically mention his title.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:50 pm

He hasn't had a coronation.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:10 pm

rereboy wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:It's not really the title of "prince" that Vegeta clings onto, or even cares about, but the royal blood that should entitle him, in his mind, to greater abilities than any other in the universe--specifically, Goku. Hence, he could care less about being a "king." He only brings up his status as the former prince of the saiyans to remind himself and others of his fighting potential.
If that's all, he could just say that's a super elite or that he is royalty. He chooses to specifically mention his title.
Doesn't he literally say that several times? At least, I recall in Kai, he never mentions being a prince when he first arrives on Earth, yet refers to himself as an elite.

He emphasizes that prince title later on because it's wayyyy up there in there hierarchy. The higher class you are, the stronger you should be by his logic. He was the heir to the throne, entitled to not only rule a race of warriors, but also develop an unfathomable power at some point in his life.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:37 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Doesn't he literally say that several times? At least, I recall in Kai, he never mentions being a prince when he first arrives on Earth, yet refers to himself as an elite.

He emphasizes that prince title later on because it's wayyyy up there in there hierarchy. The higher class you are, the stronger you should be by his logic. He was the heir to the throne, entitled to not only rule a race of warriors, but also develop an unfathomable power at some point in his life.
I'm not saying that he is not proud of having elite blood and being part of royalty, I'm saying that he is also proud of his title because he mentions it several times when there's really no need for it. In short, it's not just because of his elite and royal blood, but also because of the title itself.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:41 pm

Basically, Vegeta doesn't care about Saiyan society or ranking except that where he was born means he should be the best. He doesn't declare himself King because it doesn't matter to him.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:25 pm

rereboy wrote:King of what? Space debris and three guys? Vegeta just clings to his royalty title because of his pride but he is fully aware that he is a former prince that won't be a king because there's no kingdom.
Insecurity, not pride.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:34 pm

I also imagine that if he tried it at this point, Bulma and Gokû would probably tease him about it.
Vegeta: Oi, Kakarrotto!
Gokû: (poker face) Yes, your majesty?
Vegeta: *throws something at Gokû's head*
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!