The German DBZ Kai dub

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

The German DBZ Kai dub

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:55 am

Trailer, where they changed most voices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rghlcto ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by sangofe on Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: The German DBZ Kai dub trailer is here...

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:16 am

So the rumors were true....

And if the like-to-dislike voting ratio on the YouTube video is any indication, German fans aren't happy. Can't say I'm surprised, taking away the original cast--right after they came back for Battle of Gods, no less--has got to be rather unwelcome. Seems like this dub will suffer the same fate as the Latino Spanish and Brazillian Portuguese dubs. Well, hopefully they learn from this and get the original cast back for the inevitable German dub of Super.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:19 am

I don't know what to think. On the one hand, I'm obviously disappointed that the main voices are not returning, but on the other hand there are voices returning such as Muten Roshi, Nappa and the narrator. Then again, this is just Kai, essentially the same show as before, so at least that's kind of relieving because I don't particularly care about it. I'd really like to know why they couldn't have gotten the main actors back, though.

Whatever. I just hope FnF and Super won't suffer the same fate.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:35 am

InfernalVegito wrote:I'd really like to know why they couldn't have gotten the main actors back, though.
The rumor going around is that all of the original cast was asked to come back, but they were not affordable. That seems to be a recurring problem with Kai...both in the original Japanese version and with several other dubs.

Here's another thing I'm wondering. Over on the Facebook page of Universum Anime (the company that's handling the German dub of BoG and did get the original cast back), someone asked in the comments section if one of the extras on the BoG DVD/Blu-Ray could be interviews with the German dub cast. Universum replied that they couldn't do it, but couldn't disclose why. I wonder if it had anything to do with the Kai situation.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:14 pm

If the original cast were too expensive it's understandable, and there is no way they can go back now. Petitions and angry messages aren't going to stop this, the way to look at it is that Z and Kai are unrelated and they can have their own separate dub cast, kinda like Funimation. My main questions are, I can understand that they are angry with 'unfamiliar' voices, but is the performance of the voice actors really that bad? Is the song playing in the background the new theme for this dub or is it just unrelated trailer music?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:23 pm

Most of the new voices sounded rather unfitting... Especially Piccolo, Kuririn and Vegeta. I guess Goku can be tolerable.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:50 pm

Goku is voiced by Amadeus Strobl, who voiced Kid Goku in GT back in 2006. Obviously he's an adult now and his voice's soft tone and delivery remind me of Frank Schaff's who voiced adult Goku in the final arc of Dragon Ball, which is okay I guess. Piccolo and Vegeta, on the other hand, sound so similar, very monotone. Not distinctive enough.

I kinda feel sorry for the new voice actors who are just doing their job because of all the malice which is indirectly directed at them. Not their fault, that the old actors didn't want to do this or Kazé couldn't afford them. Kazé could have limited the damage by announcing it earlier, though. This came out of the blue for most people.

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:49 pm

InfernalVegito wrote:Goku is voiced by Amadeus Strobl, who voiced Kid Goku in GT back in 2006. Obviously he's an adult now and his voice's soft tone and delivery remind me of Frank Schaff's who voiced adult Goku in the final arc of Dragon Ball, which is okay I guess. Piccolo and Vegeta, on the other hand, sound so similar, very monotone. Not distinctive enough.

I kinda feel sorry for the new voice actors who are just doing their job because of all the malice which is indirectly directed at them. Not their fault, that the old actors didn't want to do this or Kazé couldn't afford them. Kazé could have limited the damage by announcing it earlier, though. This came out of the blue for most people.
So in German DB, they actually have kids voice kids? Interesting.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:04 pm

Yeah, in the Z dub Son Gohan was voiced by Sandro Blümel for instance. I'm not sure how common this is but it happens in other productions too.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:18 pm

InfernalVegito wrote:Yeah, in the Z dub Son Gohan was voiced by Sandro Blümel for instance. I'm not sure how common this is but it happens in other productions too.
Gohan's now voiced by a woman, though. Interesting fact about Goku. Wonder how he'll deal with the voice when they reach the Boo saga.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:23 pm

Amadeus voices Goku and Trunks at the same time now. Goku in Kai and Trunks in BoG.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:52 pm

InfernalVegito wrote:I kinda feel sorry for the new voice actors who are just doing their job because of all the malice which is indirectly directed at them. Not their fault, that the old actors didn't want to do this or Kazé couldn't afford them.
I agree 100%. I've noticed that often, when a cast gets replaced, the actors get blamed just as much (if not more so) than the producers. Replacing a cast is never the decision of the new actors. As you said, they're just doing their jobs.

It is kind of cool that the actor who played Goku as a kid is now playing him as an adult, though!

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:23 pm

A lot of the voices sound pretty similar to me, but that Vegeta just isn't working. Maybe he'll sound better when he's pissed off.
Officer Hippoface sez: "I don't take kindly to vigilantes in my town."

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:59 pm

Thanks for sharing, Sangofe ! :thumbup:
So, the rumor was true, they didn't hire the original cast... *Tommy Morgenstern* :(
TheBlackPaladin wrote:So the rumors were true....Seems like this dub will suffer the same fate as the Latino Spanish and Brazillian Portuguese dubs.Super.
Yeah, and that's a shame.I mean, the Latino spanish dub was great (IMO), it's a "new" product, so a new cast didn't bother me.That's why I'll watch the new German dub, maybe we'll have a good surprise.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:44 am

Jeez, I really need to brush up on my German. After all the time I spent studying it in High School and college, I should be able to pick up on more than just individual words and a few phrases. My Deutsche vocabulary has never been all that great, though. In truth, it's pretty shitty, hence why I have nothing but admiration for all you bilingual Kanzenshuuers on here. 8)

Oh, and I'm not at all surprised to see Kai become associated with yet another messy situation. In letzen zeit, es kann nichts richtig machen. Scheiße!
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:16 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
InfernalVegito wrote:I kinda feel sorry for the new voice actors who are just doing their job because of all the malice which is indirectly directed at them. Not their fault, that the old actors didn't want to do this or Kazé couldn't afford them.
I agree 100%. I've noticed that often, when a cast gets replaced, the actors get blamed just as much (if not more so) than the producers. Replacing a cast is never the decision of the new actors. As you said, they're just doing their jobs.
Since I've seen post blaming VAs for bad translation that hardly surprised me.
So in German DB, they actually have kids voice kids? Interesting.
It happens, but adult women are more common choice- less strict labour laws and no peril of voice change.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:50 pm

InfernalVegito wrote:Then again, this is just Kai, essentially the same show as before, so at least that's kind of relieving because I don't particularly care about it. I'd really like to know why they couldn't have gotten the main actors back, though.

Well, that's the thing: products arriving after Kai will follow what Kai when it comes to changes, just like in all other countries.
What you hear with Kai is what you get with Super, no doubt.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:05 pm

Cold Skin wrote:
InfernalVegito wrote:Then again, this is just Kai, essentially the same show as before, so at least that's kind of relieving because I don't particularly care about it. I'd really like to know why they couldn't have gotten the main actors back, though.

Well, that's the thing: products arriving after Kai will follow what Kai when it comes to changes, just like in all other countries.
What you hear with Kai is what you get with Super, no doubt.
Well, not necessarily...

In the case of the Latino Spanish and Brazillian Portuguese dubs of BoG and FnF, those dubs both got their respective original casts back, despite the fact that they didn't come back for Kai (because they couldn't be afforded). To be clear though, the producers for the Kai dubs and the new movie dubs were different companies...I guess some companies had more money to spend than others.

Similarly, Universum Anime (a different company than Kaze, who's doing the German dub of Kai), who did the soon-to-be-released German dub of BoG, got literally the entire original cast back except for Goten and Trunks (who were both originally played by real-life kids, so they couldn't get them back even if they wanted to). That's part of the reason German fans are so upset, they literally just heard about a German dub that's bringing their original cast back, only to immediately hear after that that they're not coming back for Kai. I actually read a lot of comments on Universum Anime's Facebook page from German fans begging them to take over Kai from Kaze so they can get the original cast.

So, if Universum Anime picks up the license for FnF (and they hinted that they're going after it), it's quite possible we'll still have the original cast back for that. I feel a little bad for Kaze...it's not their fault they didn't have more money to spend, but they must look really bad right now for not getting the original cast back when another company did.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:16 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Well, that's the thing: products arriving after Kai will follow what Kai when it comes to changes, just like in all other countries.What you hear with Kai is what you get with Super, no doubt.
Kazé emphasized that they truly tried everything to get the old cast back but couldn't. So who knows, how future material will be handled and by whom.
TheBlackPaladin wrote: I feel a little bad for Kaze...it's not their fault they didn't have more money to spend, but they must look really bad right now for not getting the original cast back when another company did.
Maybe it's not their fault that they couldn't afford them (if that is the sole reason for the actors not returning), but also no one forced Kazé to acquire Kai's license. Changing the voice actors does not appear to be just the result from Kazé being unable to afford the old ones but also their deliberate decision to still go through with it despite the impossibility of getting the old ones back. They should have had (and probably had) the foresight that this could happen.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:56 pm

They also indicated the time commitment factor. For dubbing a movie, an actor can basically get all their lines done over the course of a day or two. Dubbing a series with more than 100 episodes, though? That's a much bigger time commitment.

Also, they posted this on the YouTube video:

Original Message in German:
Hallo zusammen,
wir wollen an dieser Stelle ebenso den Post platzieren, den wir auch auf Facebook veröffentlicht haben.

Natürlich haben wir damit gerechnet, dass mit der Ankündigung unseres Sprechercastes eine große Diskussion ausbrechen wird. Und uns war auch bewusst, dass viele Fans der alten Synchronfassung traurig darüber sein werden, dass nicht mehr alle bekannten Sprecher mit dabei sind. Jedoch haben wir alles versucht, die alten Sprecher zu engagieren … Wie einige von euch bemerkt haben, macht es eben einen Unterschied, einen oder zwei Tage für einen Film zu opfern oder sich für ein Jahr und viele Serien-Episoden zu verpflichten. Und um noch einmal anderweitigen Spekulationen entgegenzutreten: Selbstverständlich zahlen wir für die Synchronisation von Dragonball Z Kai einen angemessenen, marktüblichen Preis. Bitte akzeptiert, dass wir die Gründe, warum nicht alle alten Sprecher dabei sein können, nicht publik machen werden. Dies, weil es Interna sind und es bei Verhandlungen und Verträgen üblich und notwendig ist, Stillschweigen über die besprochenen Inhalte zu wahren. Wie gesagt, wir haben nicht aus Böswilligkeit oder Ignoranz neue Sprecher engagiert, sondern uns bemüht, eine bestmögliche neue deutsche Synchro zu schaffen – was in Anbetracht dessen, dass „Dragonball“ seit seiner Erstausstrahlung bekannt und beliebt ist, nicht einfach ist …

Ihr könnt euch aber sicher sein: Das Synchronstudio, die Sprecher und unsere Anime-Redaktion haben viel Arbeit und Herzblut in die Synchronisation von Dragonball Z Kai gesteckt. Was ihnen und uns nun an Vorwürfen oder Beleidigungen entgegen schwappt, hat niemand verdient. Bitte bewahrt den Respekt denen gegenüber, die an Dragonball Kai gearbeitet haben. Hier stecken viel Mühe und Zeit dahinter.
Viele Grüße,
Ruth

Google Translate (note: dubbing actors in Germany are called either "Speakers" or "Synchro-Speakers," and dubbing in general is called "Synchronization."):
Hi, we want to place as well at this point the Post, which we published on Facebook.

Of course, we expect that with the announcement of our speakers Castes a great discussion will erupt. And we were also aware that many fans of the old dubbed version will be sad that not all known speakers are included. However, we have tried everything to get involved the old speaker ... As some of you noticed, it just makes a difference to sacrifice a day or two for a movie or to commit for a year and a lot of series episodes. And to again confront speculation otherwise: Of course, we pay for the synchronization of Dragon Ball Z Kai reasonable, usual market price. Please accept that we will not make the reasons why not all ancient speakers to attend, publicized. This is because there are internals and it is customary and necessary during negotiations and agreements, to maintain the secrecy of the contents discussed. As I said, we have not committed new speakers from malice or ignorance, but made every effort to create the best possible new German Synchro - what of the fact that "Dragon Ball" is in view known since its premiere and popular, is not easy ...

You can watch but be sure: The dubbing studio, the speaker and our Anime editors have put a lot of work and passion in the synchronization of Dragon Ball Z Kai. What you and now sloshes us to counter accusations or insults, no one deserves. Please preserve the respect for those who have been working on Dragon Ball Kai. We've put a lot of effort and time behind it.
Regards,
Ruth
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.