How would you feel if there were no more SS transformations?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sciz

Re: How would you feel if there were no more SS transformati

Post by Sciz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:14 pm

It'd be for the best. Super forms were what really sent the series down this stagnant "power levels are everything" road, and there's no long term future that way, narratively. The Buu arc's new transformations were already all jokes, and GT trying to play that level of absurdity straight is what sent it jumping straight over the shark. God ki is a handy way to wipe all that away and start fresh, but they shouldn't squander the opportunity.

In my perfect world, they'd spread it around a little more to bring a couple other characters back up to speed, and then diversify the focus of their training. Have Goku keep being the raw strength/speed training guy who uses a few moves really well, leave Vegeta as his direct rival who can't quite match him in raw power but compensates with superior martial arts, bring Tien back in play as the guy who keeps developing new ki techniques, and position Piccolo as the superior strategist.

Maybe bring the Oozaru back somehow if they really need a superpowered transformation for the saiyans.

Hard to say where they're going to take things, though. The series has said "there's always someone stronger" from the beginning, but only now has it gone on to say "and it's this guy, right here, and he's not evil" and leave that as the status quo.

Super_Vegetto

Post by Super_Vegetto » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:22 pm

No more transformations would be like a slap in the face why, exactly?[/quote]

"Super Saiyan 2 and 3 are nothing more than powered-up variations of Super Saiyan. After the fight with Beerus, Goku realized that mastering his normal state and Super Saiyan would raise his level more and sap less strength"

Dropping two major plot points for no reason, to me is unacceptable and his explanation makes no sense. The power up variations are grade 2 &3, bulky and slow these are the ones he's talking about, misappropriation of strength which resulted in an incomplete transformation. SSJ2 is or at least was supposed to be the successor and perfection of that form. SSJ3 took it even further and now he says that SSJ is the strongest form/to me feel like a slap to the face following everything after Frieza.Credits to yt user elk832 his comment summarizes exactly how I feel
SSJ2,3&4 live and will be better than anything you will come up with AT

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:32 pm

I'd feel good about it honestly, because after GT, the SS transformations have gotten outta hand,and yes, I'm talking about the last two movies. Maybe I'll excuse one if it made sense to its story,but just adding one just for hype, please. And if you are gonna put in a Super Saiyan God form, at least have the transformation look like this or this(an attire that is similar to what the Original SSG wore) instead of something that was done before!

Now for the Saiyan transformations itself, I'd either stop at just SSJ1 and just have the ascended forms originate from somebody else and call Teen Gohan's SSJ2 his "true" Super Saiyan form or his Super Saiyan Anger Imbued, along with the story itself ending after the Cell Games. Or for the Buu saga, have Gohan reach SSJ3 instead of Goku, since I'm under the impression that Toriyama intended to make the Buu saga cast be based on the next generation.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:36 pm

I am hoping that goku's final form will be his base form with a black hair in super saiyan style.
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:37 pm

Indifferent to be honest. I liked how they looked back then, but now it's whatever. I'm actually really a fan of the Saiyans doing cool shit in base form, like Vegeta vs Puipui. And as much as I can't stand Gohan, I love how Ultimate Gohan looks.

If they can utilize their base form to kick ass, I'd say go for it. No more blondes.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:26 pm

I would be indifferent as well, but I like how SSGSS is a combination of 2 forms/a variation of one, rather than it being a totally new transformation. I think in the AF fan comic, one of the villains used something called "Dragon Jacket" so maybe something like that could be used to increase strength.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:42 pm

Sciz wrote:It'd be for the best. Super forms were what really sent the series down this stagnant "power levels are everything" road, and there's no long term future that way, narratively. The Buu arc's new transformations were already all jokes, and GT trying to play that level of absurdity straight is what sent it jumping straight over the shark. ...
*Reads about absurdity*

*Turns around and looks at the newest names of forms*
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Sciz

Post by Sciz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:32 am

Cetra wrote:*Reads about absurdity*

Well, I don't think anyone's going to defend the nomenclature, outside of some Toei marketing department types.

godku23
Beyond Newbie

Post by godku23 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:27 am

This made me think of something, what if SSJG didn't have the magenta color to it. It'll still made them thinner and they'd still have the big eyes, and the flame aura was still there, but was the color of their normal aura. Not big enough for its own thread so i thought I'd share my thoughts here :D
<(-_-<) (>-_-)> Fu...

^(-_-^) (^-_-)^ sion...

(>-_-)> <(-_-<) HA

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27729&start=15600#p886966

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:41 am

Sciz wrote:
Cetra wrote:*Reads about absurdity*

Well, I don't think anyone's going to defend the nomenclature, outside of some Toei marketing department types.
I agree that the name isn't the best, but I think that's the point. Remember how Whis said Super Saiyan God was overly grandiose, and Golden Freeza said his name was cheap and not the best? I think that's the same deal here
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:46 am

I've drawn ssjg Gokû with base Gokû's hair/eyecolor before, it's still really cute, but the magenta adds a magical layer to it and I wouldn't wanna lose that.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:49 am

Super Saiyan 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 is a joke. It's like a constant evolutionary stage of a butterfly. Super butterfly 1,2,3,4 etc.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:21 am

Super_Vegetto wrote:No more transformations would be like a slap in the face why, exactly?

"Super Saiyan 2 and 3 are nothing more than powered-up variations of Super Saiyan. After the fight with Beerus, Goku realized that mastering his normal state and Super Saiyan would raise his level more and sap less strength"

Dropping two major plot points for no reason, to me is unacceptable and his explanation makes no sense. The power up variations are grade 2 &3, bulky and slow these are the ones he's talking about, misappropriation of strength which resulted in an incomplete transformation. SSJ2 is or at least was supposed to be the successor and perfection of that form. SSJ3 took it even further and now he says that SSJ is the strongest form/to me feel like a slap to the face following everything after Freeza.Credits to yt user elk832 his comment summarizes exactly how I feel
Don't worry. They will definitely make SSJGSSJ2 and SSJGSSJ3 for merchandising purposes.
Gotta sell dem toys.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:57 pm

GokuRules987 wrote:I am hoping that goku's final form will be his base form with a black hair in super saiyan style.
So you're hoping that Goku just full on rips off his son and becomes Ultimate/Mystic Goku?

Anyways onto the core topic....I'd be fine with no more SSJ transformations. I think it's becoming less and less an interesting idea and more of a quick "Gotta close that power gap for the big final battle so Goku or whoever can win! SSGSS3 GO! Seriously I'm just waiting for something like Mystic LSSGSS2 grade 3 to happen.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:09 pm

voltlunok wrote: So you're hoping that Goku just full on rips off his son and becomes Ultimate/Mystic Goku?
This reminds me how stupid it was to design Gohan's hair the way Toriyama did in the Buu saga. Mystic could have actually had a distinctive feature...
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:12 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
voltlunok wrote: So you're hoping that Goku just full on rips off his son and becomes Ultimate/Mystic Goku?
This reminds me how stupid it was to design Gohan's hair the way Toriyama did in the Buu saga. Mystic could have actually had a distinctive feature...
I liked the idea. Yes it seems super lazy and in some ways it is but, when Buu saga was rolling it was a sea of super saiyan hair. Gohan's mystic form being the standard black hair with a unique sheen to it set him apart in the super saiyan crowd.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:19 pm

voltlunok wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
I liked the idea. Yes it seems super lazy and in some ways it is but, when Buu saga was rolling it was a sea of super saiyan hair. Gohan's mystic form being the standard black hair with a unique sheen to it set him apart in the super saiyan crowd.
I meant his regular hair. If he had his hairstyle from the F movie, his mystic form could have had the hair we're used to, yet it'd actually feel like a transformation.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:23 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
I meant his regular hair. If he had his hairstyle from the F movie, his mystic form could have had the hair we're used to, yet it'd actually feel like a transformation.
Yeah I kinda got that. I'm just saying that during the time, least for me. Him having the black hair was a sight for sore eyes. The sea of gold hair was just kinda meh by the time Mystic Gohan rolled in so I think it was just a refreshing sight to have someone with none super saiyan hair beating up the bad guy.