Super retelling BOG and ROF

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:25 pm

MaGyunia wrote:How come? I'm referring to the Bardock TV Special made back in 1990, not Episode of Bardock, which is obviously non-canon and I didn't include in the list/sequence.
So does he. Jaco & DB- contradict the Bardock TV Special, to the point it is impossible for it to happen. Bardock vs Freeza still happens though, since it's in the manga.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:29 pm

Like I said, why would they leave such a big plot hole in and why would they unnecessarily change the date? The only time the series was said to be 6 months after Boo was in promotional material, in the series proper, no date was ever stated. Also, I don't understand why you disregard M13 because of a plot hole, but not Super when it has the same one.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:30 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
MaGyunia wrote:How come? I'm referring to the Bardock TV Special made back in 1990, not Episode of Bardock, which is obviously non-canon and I didn't include in the list/sequence.
So does he. Jaco & DB- contradict the Bardock TV Special, to the point it is impossible for it to happen. Bardock vs Freeza still happens though, since it's in the manga.
Yeah, I was referring to the confrontation between Bardock and Freeza, which is basically not only the climax of the special but the fundamental and inevitable point of the entire thing.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:34 pm

When Janemba is around, it's perfectly okay to have plot holes. You could have Kid Gohan and Teen Gohan on the same screen, and it'd work. Janemba is the GOAT. <333

Edit: Oh wait, M13 is the one with the giant skeleton roach.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:37 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:When Janemba is around, it's perfectly okay to have plot holes. You could have Kid Gohan and Teen Gohan on the same screen, and it'd work. Janemba is the GOAT. <333
Not really, any time time travel is involved, you just get plot holes up the ass.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:38 pm

I found the exercise I did a few weeks ago on the movies and under which circumstances each one of them would have taken place (and when).
As you can see, I originally didn't include neither Movie 9 nor Movie 13 because at that time I considered them to produce no inconsistencies with the series' timeline at all (hence, it could be said that they "happened").

Anyone with the knowledge and patience to correct or add anything, please do so.

Here it goes (it's the untouched original thing, I haven't changed any of its potential shortcomings, and there are indeed some):

"All the others WOULD have "happened" in the following circumstances:
Movie 1 - It WOULD have happened slightly before the arrival of Raditz on Earth.
Movie 2 - It WOULD have happened IF Goku had beaten Vegeta and Nappa in the Saiya-jin arc, since he uses Kaio Ken in the movie.
Movie 3 - IF there had been an additional Saiya-jin to have survived the genocide of the race and the destruction of Planet Vegeta and later came to Earth to find Kakarotto. It WOULD have taken place IF Goku had beaten Vegeta and Nappa in the Saiya-jin arc before Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Chaozu and Piccolo died.
Movie 4 - IF there had been an additional Namek-sei-jin who survived the extreme weather conditions on the planet that led to Piccolo being sent to Earth and IF Goku and the others somehow had managed to either beat Freeza after Piccolo is resurrected and Vegeta dies but before he became a full-fledged Super Saiya-jin or had left Namek before that, for some reason.
Movie 5 - IF Cooler ever existed and Goku had somehow beaten Freeza on Namek without having become a full-fledged Super Saiya-jin. It WOULD take place in the 3 year gap between Mirai no Trunks' first arrival from the future and the appearance of #19 and Dr. Gero, since Goku has already returned to Earth.
Movie 6 - IF Cooler ever existed. It WOULD take place right before the Jinzouningen arc, in the 3 year gap between Mirai no Trunks' first arrival from the future and the appearance of #19 and Dr. Gero
Movie 7 - IF the only two Jinzouningen which actually ever existed had been #19 and Dr. Gero (no #16, no #17, no #18, no Cell), and after either Goku or Vegeta and Piccolo had beaten them. It would have happened right after that.
Movie 8 - IF two additional Saiya-jin had survived the genocide of the race and the destruction of Planet Vegeta, and IF one of them WOULD just happen to be the Legendary Super Saiya-jin. It WOULD have happened if Paragas came to Earth during the 10 day-period between Cell's announcement of the Cell Games and the Cell Games themselves, after Goku and Gohan leave the RoSaT, since Gohan is a Super Saiya-jin.
Movie 10 - IF Brolly ever existed and had come to Earth. It WOULD have taken place during the period of time Gohan trains Videl and Goten.
Movie 11 - IF Brolly ever existed. It WOULD have taken place right after the previous movie (and after the Tenkaichi Budokai that led to the Majin Buu arc, but without the arc itself ever happening, as there WOULD have had been a Tenkaichi Budokai which for some reason had a final in which #18 lets Mr. Satan win in exchange for quite a large sum of money).
Movie 12 - IF Goku had defeated Majin Buu in his fat form and had returned to the other world, since both Goku and Vegeta are dead (the latter after blowing himself up against Majin Buu)

Both the Bardock special and the Trunks special depict events which happened off-screen in DBZ's storyline (in Trunks' movie case, before he decided to go back in the past to warn Goku and the others about the Jinzouningen, which generated a different timeline - pretty much similar to what happened in Back to the Future 2)

The 2008 special, BoG and Fukkatsu no F were up until very recently considered to be follow-up continuations of DBZ's main, one and only timeline, and the 2008 special by itself can still be considered to be canon, as there's nothing there that contradicts what we've been seeing or hearing about in DBSuper, but BoG and Fukkatsu no F have also been basically turned into side-stories which are going to be retold, with the introduction of the same characters and stages but at a different timing and in different circumstances."

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:41 pm

Doctor. wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:When Janemba is around, it's perfectly okay to have plot holes. You could have Kid Gohan and Teen Gohan on the same screen, and it'd work. Janemba is the GOAT. <333
Not really, any time time travel is involved, you just get plot holes up the ass.
Who said anything about time travel? Janemba can just dig into his portals and pull Kid Gohan out. Like pulling a rabbit out of a hat. You don't questions the works of Janemba.
Movie 12 - IF Goku had defeated Majin Buu in his fat form and had returned to the other world, since both Goku and Vegeta are dead (the latter after blowing himself up against Majin Buu)
I would say it would occur if Gotenks or Ultimate Gohan beat Super Buu instead. If SSJ3 Goku beat Fat Buu, there'd be no point in teaching the kids fusion, which they demonstrate in the movie. I doubt Piccolo would have bothered.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:44 pm

MaGyunia wrote:
Zombie wrote: You are forgetting Jaco and DB Minus. The Bardock special is not canon anymore.
How come? I'm referring to the Bardock TV Special made back in 1990, not Episode of Bardock, which is obviously non-canon and I didn't include in the list/sequence.
Doctor. wrote:If it takes place 6 months after Boo, then there's a plot hole and I doubt they wouldn't notice it. If Videl is pregnant, then it pretty much confirms it isn't 6 months post Boo. Saying M13 doesn't fit because there's an inconsistency with the DB usage but saying Super fits when the same thing is present is having double standards.
Or it just means that they're changing the timing at which Pan is actually born, thus retconning the last episodes of DBZ, after having already changed the timing at which events take place in BoG.
I'm not talking about EoB...

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Minus
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Jaco_t ... _Patrolman

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:48 pm

Zombie wrote:
MaGyunia wrote:
Zombie wrote: You are forgetting Jaco and DB Minus. The Bardock special is not canon anymore.
How come? I'm referring to the Bardock TV Special made back in 1990, not Episode of Bardock, which is obviously non-canon and I didn't include in the list/sequence.
Doctor. wrote:If it takes place 6 months after Boo, then there's a plot hole and I doubt they wouldn't notice it. If Videl is pregnant, then it pretty much confirms it isn't 6 months post Boo. Saying M13 doesn't fit because there's an inconsistency with the DB usage but saying Super fits when the same thing is present is having double standards.
Or it just means that they're changing the timing at which Pan is actually born, thus retconning the last episodes of DBZ, after having already changed the timing at which events take place in BoG.
I'm not talking about EoB...

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Minus
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Jaco_t ... _Patrolman
I know what that is, thank you. When I included the Bardock Special in the canon list I did so obviously because the fundamental aspects of the events depicted in the special did remain canon, especially Goku being sent to Earth and Bardock's confrontation with Freeza.

You don't need to paste links for Dragonball stuff in that condescending way, I know pretty much everything there is to know about it.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:37 pm

MaGyunia wrote:Movie 1 - It WOULD have happened slightly before the arrival of Raditz on Earth.

Movie 5 - IF Cooler ever existed and Goku had somehow beaten Freeza on Namek without having become a full-fledged Super Saiya-jin. It WOULD take place in the 3 year gap between Mirai no Trunks' first arrival from the future and the appearance of #19 and Dr. Gero, since Goku has already returned to Earth.
Do you take filler & guidebooks into account? Because if you do, these 2 movies happened. The Garlic Jr. arc means that M1 happened, and according to the official timeline, both Movies 1 & 5 happened.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:48 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
MaGyunia wrote:Movie 1 - It WOULD have happened slightly before the arrival of Raditz on Earth.

Do you take filler & guidebooks into account? Because if you do, these 2 movies happened. The Garlic Jr. arc means that M1 happened, and according to the official timeline, both Movies 1 & 5 happened.
In fact, the ONLY reason why I didn't include Movie 1 in the "canon" movies is because Krillin is shown to meet Gohan, and when Raditz shows up he's just as surprised that Goku has a son as everyone else at Kame House. Apart from that (minor) detail, it doesn't produce any inconsistencies. I regard the Garlic Jr. arc as canon, with the exception of Garlic Jr. remembering Gohan and Goku from a few years ago when they met in Movie 1 (but if Movie 1 is canon, then the Garlic Jr. arc is definitely canon without any possible debate over it).

Regarding Movie 5, we could argue that Goku did in fact fight Cooler on Earth during the 3 year gap between his return to Earth and the Jinzouningen arc, and the fact that he didn't go Super Saiya-jin right from the start (which he seems to be able to rather comfortably upon meeting Mirai no Trunks) is due to the fact that for some reason he regressed and could only attain the Super Saiya-jin stage when again pushed to his limits in terms of anger, just like Gohan hasn't "mastered" the stage of Super Saiya-jin 2 against Bojack even after having reached it against Cell, as in, he could only attain it if pushed to his limits AGAIN.

We're merely discussing which of the 13 Movies COULD have taken place within the series' timeline without producing any plot holes or inconsistencies, but I'm sure that it was never their preoccupation whether or not they were possible to have happened or not. Toriyama did indeed once say that the movies have to be seen as side-stories, depicting "what-if" scenarios. If you want to call that an "alternate universe" or an "alternate timeline", or whatever it is, it's just a matter of naming. Besides, the issue over "canonness" has produced countless discussions over the years and still to this day no definite, absolute conclusion has been reached, and may never be at any point in the future.

We were just exploring a little bit the area of the Movies and whether or not the events depicted in them could have taken place, and under which circumstances. It's not meant to turn into a serious debate or anything. You're always going to find someone else with a different point of view that contradicts yours.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:57 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
irreality wrote:Why not include movie 13, Wrath of the Dragon, if you include Movie 9? It could happen right before Super without contradiction, I think (unless they give a precise date in the movie).
Movie 13 can't fit now since there is no way that Hoi can make his wish to free Tapion out of the box so soon after the last wish was made. It would take months after the last wish was made for the Dragon Ball's to return back to normal.
If Super takes place 4 years after Boo like BoG did, then it can still fit in.
Maybe a year after Buu then sure. Since Super came out, both Wrath of the Dragon and the 2008 Jump Special can't happen now. The first episode of Super mention some time as past since the last wish was made. Super most likely takes place months after Buu. So no way that Hoi can get his wish happen so soon after Buu if the Dragon Balls would be stone after Buu and before Beerus.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:34 pm

MaGyunia wrote:In fact, the ONLY reason why I didn't include Movie 1 in the "canon" movies is because Krillin is shown to meet Gohan, and when Raditz shows up he's just as surprised that Goku has a son as everyone else at Kame House. Apart from that (minor) detail, it doesn't produce any inconsistencies. I regard the Garlic Jr. arc as canon, with the exception of Garlic Jr. remembering Gohan and Goku from a few years ago when they met in Movie 1 (but if Movie 1 is canon, then the Garlic Jr. arc is definitely canon without any possible debate over it).

Regarding Movie 5, we could argue that Goku did in fact fight Cooler on Earth during the 3 year gap between his return to Earth and the Jinzouningen arc, and the fact that he didn't go Super Saiya-jin right from the start (which he seems to be able to rather comfortably upon meeting Mirai no Trunks) is due to the fact that for some reason he regressed and could only attain the Super Saiya-jin stage when again pushed to his limits in terms of anger, just like Gohan hasn't "mastered" the stage of Super Saiya-jin 2 against Bojack even after having reached it against Cell, as in, he could only attain it if pushed to his limits AGAIN.
Well, there are inconsistences in the anime, and even in the manga, so I can go past one minor one.

As for M5, it is possible that Goku didn't transform because he was trying to beat him without SS, like he does in GT, and just happened to transform after he got angry, like Gohan did against Super #17 in GT.
Hellspawn28 wrote:Maybe a year after Buu then sure. Since Super came out, both Wrath of the Dragon and the 2008 Jump Special can't happen now. The first episode of Super mention some time as past since the last wish was made. Super most likely takes place months after Buu. So no way that Hoi can get his wish happen so soon after Buu if the Dragon Balls would be stone after Buu and before Beerus.
Super most likely takes place 4 years after Boo's death, like BoG. With the DBs being active, it definitely takes place 1 year after the wish that was made to erase the memories of Boo from the Earthlings, which was made 6 months after Boo's death. If Videl is pregnant, then this confirms that it takes place in the same period as BoG.

Unless if we have plot-holes.

So, M13 & JSAT can still happen.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:05 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
MaGyunia wrote:In fact, the ONLY reason why I didn't include Movie 1 in the "canon" movies is because Krillin is shown to meet Gohan, and when Raditz shows up he's just as surprised that Goku has a son as everyone else at Kame House. Apart from that (minor) detail, it doesn't produce any inconsistencies. I regard the Garlic Jr. arc as canon, with the exception of Garlic Jr. remembering Gohan and Goku from a few years ago when they met in Movie 1 (but if Movie 1 is canon, then the Garlic Jr. arc is definitely canon without any possible debate over it).

Well, there are inconsistences in the anime, and even in the manga, so I can go past one minor one.

As for M5, it is possible that Goku didn't transform because he was trying to beat him without SS, like he does in GT, and just happened to transform after he got angry, like Gohan did against Super #17 in GT.
Hellspawn28 wrote:Maybe a year after Buu then sure. Since Super came out, both Wrath of the Dragon and the 2008 Jump Special can't happen now. The first episode of Super mention some time as past since the last wish was made. Super most likely takes place months after Buu. So no way that Hoi can get his wish happen so soon after Buu if the Dragon Balls would be stone after Buu and before Beerus.
Super most likely takes place 4 years after Boo's death, like BoG. With the DBs being active, it definitely takes place 1 year after the wish that was made to erase the memories of Boo from the Earthlings, which was made 6 months after Boo's death. If Videl is pregnant, then this confirms that it takes place in the same period as BoG.

And yet, Toriyama and TOEI confirm it's 6 months after Boo for some odd reason. I don't get why the fans know so much more than the creators themselves.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:19 pm

From what I remember, Toriyama didn't confirm anything. He said Super would start up with a little bit of the battle's aftermath, but that says absolutely nothing about a concrete timeframe. It's only been the promotional material from Toei and Shueisha (probably provided to them by Toei) that outright says the series proper is set 6 months after Buu...which could still turn out to be wrong.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:21 pm

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:And yet, Toriyama and TOEI confirm it's 6 months after Boo for some odd reason. I don't get why the fans know so much more than the creators themselves.
Toriyama never said that. It was stated in promotional stuff, which have been wrong before. We were told that Goten wanted to get a present for Videl because she was gonna get married with Gohan, while it turns out they were already married, recently. It seems that in that case, the guy who wrote that Super begins 6 months after Boo's death thought that it takes place after the wish about Boo, which is what actually happened 6 months after Boo's death.

Toei also isn't a person, it's a big company with lots of employers that their involvement to the story varies, and can make mistakes, as they did once.

Blackstripe
Regular

Post by Blackstripe » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:33 pm

Why would Mr. Satan just be giving Goku his reward money several years after Majin Buu? Also, why had nobody seen Buu yet? We know he became famous as Mr. Satan's disciple by EoZ, so it makes the most sense for it to indeed be set 6 months later. Plus, it means Goten and Trunks are still seven and eight years old respectively, instead of being teenagers that look like little kids.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:17 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:From what I remember, Toriyama didn't confirm anything.
I think he said it's set a "little while" after the battle with Buu and the narrator says that it takes place a little while after they wished for everyone to forget about Buu so at the most it takes place a year after.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:48 am

For "F" Movie, i hope they will say, that Freeza trains in some sort of Room and Spirit chamber, where one day equals 1 year, prodigy or not, i find it extremely hard to believe, that in just 4 months, Freeza went from 120.000.000 to above Super Buu level. I will even take TFS joke that Freeza doesn't know what month is, everyihng will be better than just 4 months of train
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:00 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote: Super most likely takes place 4 years after Boo's death, like BoG. With the DBs being active, it definitely takes place 1 year after the wish that was made to erase the memories of Boo from the Earthlings, which was made 6 months after Boo's death. If Videl is pregnant, then this confirms that it takes place in the same period as BoG.

I recall that when the show was announce or during it's early promos that Super is said to start six months after the defeat of Majin Buu. So if it's six months after Buu then Movie 13 can't happen due to the lack of time for the DB's can be used again in order for Hoi to make his wish. JSAT also can't happen now since the people on Earth remember Majin Buu in JSAT. In Super, no one remembers Majin Buu and Mr. Satan told everyone that Fat Buu is a alien from another galaxy that has come to Earth to train with him.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/