So about C.Sabat's "new" voice...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

So about C.Sabat's "new" voice...

Post by EXBadguy » Mon May 25, 2015 9:18 pm

Why is it higher? I've been wondering about this for a long time ever since I heard his Vegeta's screaming voice in Kai(Nicktoons), then I found out that he used his high voice in other anime like Attack on Titan and One Piece. What happened? Was this considered him "improving" his acting or him trying to stick into the "anime source material"(I fucking HATE that term personally).

Now don't get me wrong, I like his higher voice(though the old one still rules!), I just wanna know why. I don't like his "new" Recoome voice though, I wished he stuck to the one he used during the Budokai series, where he sounded deep and tough almost like David Kaye.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: So about C.Sabat's "new" voice...

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 25, 2015 9:43 pm

Vegeta's voice doesn't really sound "higher" to me. Just more smooth, natural and composed, which is due to him becoming much more of a refined voice actor over the years.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon May 25, 2015 10:23 pm

I believe a part of it is because of his having quit smoking, but I'm not entirely sure of the timeframe for when he was smoking and when he finally quit. There's also the fact though that voice acting can be pretty rough on your vocal cords over the years, and with the number of different voices and screams the man has had to do, it's no wonder he sounds a little different nowadays.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Mon May 25, 2015 10:43 pm

I haven't really noticed his voice being higher now. It's definitely not as high as it was in the original FUNi dub of season 3 when he was imitating Brian Drummond.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue May 26, 2015 12:56 am

Zenkai wrote:It's definitely not as high as it was in the original FUNi dub of season 3 when he was imitating Brian Drummond.
Agreed, and Sabat himself has since gone on to say that he never liked his "Drummond impression" Vegeta voice.

I would say that he didn't really find his Vegeta voice until around the time Vegeta became Majin Vegeta. Well, around that time. Ish.

Since then, it has changed in very subtle ways. I haven't noticed a pitch change, but I have noticed a little less rasp in the Vegeta voice that he uses now compared to the one he used in the redub of the first few arcs of DBZ. I've also noticed that his screams sound better...I don't know if I should classify it as a change in the voice or improved acting, but his screams sound more emotional and full than they used to.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue May 26, 2015 9:15 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I believe a part of it is because of his having quit smoking, but I'm not entirely sure of the timeframe for when he was smoking and when he finally quit. There's also the fact though that voice acting can be pretty rough on your vocal cords over the years, and with the number of different voices and screams the man has had to do, it's no wonder he sounds a little different nowadays.
What? He really quit smoking? That's pretty awesome. Mad props to him.

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Tue May 26, 2015 6:42 pm

It's definitely less throaty and forced than how it used to sound, especially around roughly 2003-2007 when his Vegeta got practically Kuwabara levels of rasp (maybe his smoking days were hitting his cords hard here?). I'd say that he just found a more comfortable, balanced voice for his characters, especially with Piccolo since it's practically his natural voice. He is also able to differentiate the two by keeping the "character voice" he uses for Vegeta, but making it more smoothed out without as much rasp.

I think the only "higher pitched" parts from his current Vegeta voice are with his screams. Compare Sabat's 2010 Kai performance with his 2005 redub of the Saiyan-Namek arc; You'll hear more levels of intensity and pitch from his screams in Kai rather than the run-of-the-mill, standard battle screams that sound almost phoned-in for the redub of Z. It's as if you can tell the effort/passion is there to make Kai a better dub, so in turn his Vegeta voice often reached new levels of sound and emotion that some people were not used to.
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue May 26, 2015 6:51 pm

More naturalistic and less forced voice acting is always a good thing... His early Vegeta voice always sounded really strained IMO.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:56 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:More naturalistic and less forced voice acting is always a good thing... His early Vegeta voice always sounded really strained IMO.
Cause' he was trying to sound like the Ocean guy before right?

Now, he kinda sounds like Sabat's Major Armstrong voice with a little less chipmunk-packing-nuts-in-its-cheeks-for-winter edge to it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:27 am

Is it just me or do most of Sabat's roles sound the same now? I could tell which characters he played before, but the voices were all vastly different from each-other, nowadays they're all the same tone.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:59 pm

Tone is similar, but I don't think they sound totally the same. Yamcha vs. Vegeta or Piccolo is a good example, especially since he tends to use much more nasalliness as Yamcha, and much more hard k's and ch's as Vegeta. And again, Armstrong kinda sounds like a frequent tobacco chewer (sometimes? in the more serious scenes he loosens it up a bit, especially with the Ishval stuff). Reccoome falls into a similar but different category. I didn't even know he was voiced by Sabat until I sat through the credits of Kai one time.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:39 pm

While Sabat DOES have a distinctive voice and it's often easy to tell it's him if you're paying attention (DJ Sexcidillionaire anyone?) He does make most of his voices distinct enough that a casual watch through they sound different. I buy that Vegeta, Piccolo, and Yamucha are different people for example.

If you want a voice that's close to Sabat's normal speaking voice, his Zoro from One Piece is pretty much that.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:08 pm

Interestingly enough, there's a parallel here between the English and French dubs. Eric Legrand is the French voice of both Yamcha and Vegeta. They definitely sound similar, but different enough that it's not distracting. That's how I think if Chris Sabat's characters.

I also wonder if the real-life factor of us knowing, for a fact, that it's the same guy, is affecting our judgement. Because now that I've known for several years, after watching the credits, that Chris Sabat plays multiple characters, I can tell now. But back when I was a kid?

*shrug*

I honestly couldn't tell.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:11 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I also wonder if the real-life factor of us knowing, for a fact, that it's the same guy, is affecting our judgement. Because now that I've known for several years, after watching the credits, that Chris Sabat plays multiple characters, I can tell now. But back when I was a kid?
I definitely think to some extent that it's the knowledge that he's playing those characters. Tho, whenever I watch a FUNimation production, I find myself looking out for certain voices. Like, I picked Linda Young out of a crowd in the most recent One Piece DVD set as a female auctioneer. So I'm very knowledgeable in FUNi's traditional talent base and when they use one of their Vets, it's easy for me to pick them out. I'm positive my familiarity with the actors and their voices is what is causing it tho, I don't think a casual fan would notice this stuff as much.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:25 pm

His basic voice for Vegeta has been the same since about 2003, but it's less raspy and he has more range. His screams are higher pitched nowadays (I'd say that started during the season 3 redubs in 2007) because of this.
DemonRin wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I also wonder if the real-life factor of us knowing, for a fact, that it's the same guy, is affecting our judgement. Because now that I've known for several years, after watching the credits, that Chris Sabat plays multiple characters, I can tell now. But back when I was a kid?
I definitely think to some extent that it's the knowledge that he's playing those characters. Tho, whenever I watch a FUNimation production, I find myself looking out for certain voices. Like, I picked Linda Young out of a crowd in the most recent One Piece DVD set as a female auctioneer. So I'm very knowledgeable in FUNi's traditional talent base and when they use one of their Vets, it's easy for me to pick them out. I'm positive my familiarity with the actors and their voices is what is causing it tho, I don't think a casual fan would notice this stuff as much.
Yeah, same here. I can pick out voices like Justin Cook, Linda Young, John Burgmeier, Sabat, and Eric Vale almost instantly.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:57 am

Vegeta in the dub of kai sounds so forced and un natural. I hate his new voice along with goku's new voice. The only good choice for kai to IMPROVE with Chris Ayres.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:03 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:Vegeta in the dub of kai sounds so forced and un natural. I hate his new voice along with goku's new voice. The only good choice for kai to IMPROVE with Chris Ayres.
Forced and unnatural? Sabat's Vegeta voice is closer to his natural voice than it was during the more gravelly times (current Piccolo/Zoro from One Piece is about where his natural voice is). It feels forced the most in angry times (which is a lot for Vegeta I'll admit, but still), but it works fairly well in more calm situations and conversations.

As for Goku, it's never too far away from Schemmel's own natural voice, though it gets pitched up a bit in the goofier scenes. He's gotten really good at appropriately moving between silly and serious Goku in the right moments.

Agreed on Chris Ayres though, he's a nice improvement.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:23 pm

Vegeta in the dub of kai sounds so forced and un natural.
I know there's the whole "it's all opinion and subjective" but I don't know how anyone could honestly come to the conclusion that Schemmel and Sabat's voice in Kai are more forced than their acting in DBZ unless if you never watched Z when you were younger.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:45 pm

Sean and chris in Z-PERFECT! (cell games to end of Z)

kai-garbage. forced,and raspy. Trying to hard to be Shakespearian.

bog-GARBAGE!

ROF-Sean improved,bu still crap next to his light hearted voice from Z.

ROF- chris-trying to hard to sound cool. "I'm deep voiced and raspy sounding. I"M HARD CORE!"

I know it's opinionated but I can't understand how someone can honestly prefer kai other ten bias.

Listen to goku couch gohan in the beam struggle against cell in Z and then kai. I literally can FEEL the un-enthusiasm from kai schemmel. I'd give links but IDK if giving links for comparison is against the rules,I know you cant share for pirating so I'll let you guys use your DVDS and make the comparison.

They're the sam line for line basically, but Goku in Z s S emotional! t sucks me in and makes me think Goku's there coaching Gohan on...kai's version sounds like a parody.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:50 pm

They got better at the end of Z, but they weren't perfect. In Kai, they are natural. The dialog might be more verbose, but I'd rather they not talk down to the audience.
They're the sam line for line basically, but Goku in Z s S emotional! t sucks me in and makes me think Goku's there coaching Gohan on...kai's version sounds like a parody.
It's not a parody, I think Sean has gone on record that he was sick during those last sessions but you can't base an entire performance on one or two episodes. Even then, it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. Regarding the rasp, we can't possibly be hearing two different things, and this isn't a matter of opinion, there is much less rasp with Sabat's Vegeta in Kai.
I know it's opinionated but I can't understand how someone can honestly prefer kai other ten bias.
What's ten bias? I prefer Kai because the actors have more experience, know their characters, there's better music, far better dialog. It's just overall a far better show.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.