What is the General Consensus for Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

What is the General Consensus for Super?

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:22 am

I'm personally enjoying Super as of now but I would like to know what everyone else thinks of the show as I've seen some very different opinions left and right.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Re: What is the General Consensus for Super?

Post by LordCrumb » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:38 am

I'm enjoying it, different animation style to my liking, which I think is the major gripe among internet community though.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:48 am

It's fine.

Undeniably flawed but enjoyable for the most parts...
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:01 am

I'm enjoying it. :3
I think it helps that I'm already a fan of BOG and the Jump 08 special. Vegeta's being placed in unusual situations, Gokû's being adorable, and Bulma has named a ship after herself because of course she has; all is well so far.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:11 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:It's fine.

Undeniably flawed but enjoyable for the most parts...
Pretty much
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:20 am

Could be better, could be worse. Not a fan of the musical score or artstyle. None of the fights have been interesting to me so far, with Battle of Gods having the superior version of all of them. A lot of the events it has so far covered were arguably better executed in Battle of Gods.

The slice of life stuff is fantastic though. Vegeta's chef bit was a rare exception as something that was just as good as its Battle of Gods counterpart, despite being different.

I do enjoy what it's doing in a meta sense, that is to say that seems to be demonstrating the official rights holders' lack of caring about any sort of thoroughly articulated canon beyond a short list of vaguely chronological essential events.
Last edited by Zephyr on Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:21 am

I opted out awhile ago, at least until the movies arcs are over with.

I don't think there's any sort of general consensus. There's plenty of people that loathe it (but watch it anyway) and plenty of people that enjoy it.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:53 am

I really like it. So far it is what I wanted in a series. My complaints about it are small, and don't detract from my enjoyment.

I don't think there is a consensus.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:56 am

I think we have to wait till they stop adapting the movies and move onto all-new material before people can really judge it.

MajinVegetaSSj6
Beyond Newbie

Post by MajinVegetaSSj6 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:32 am

i really like it

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:55 am

The only general consensus is that it has poor pacing so far. Besides that, I don't think any unified group agrees on anything else in particular.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:58 am

I've been thoroughly enjoying it thus far. It's managed to come out looking superior to BoGs in several key events, which I didn't think would be possible when I first heard they were retelling the two movies. The chef Vegeta scene was far better than the bingo scene. The King Vegeta flashback was much better. The Beerus vs Buu fight was better. Super also managed to establish just how old Beerus is, which BoGs failed to do.

The negative things about it stem from the animation (which I honestly think is overblown by some people. episode 5 was terrible, but the other episodes have been fine animation wise) and the pacing. The pacing I can understand as they're adapting an hour and a half movie. They need to do some padding in order to stretch out this arc a bit.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:54 am

Consensus is something you wont find in a fandom because there are to many fans with to many different criterias to properly have a consensus, before anyone attacks me for the cop-out answer, here is my opinion:

I have been enjoying Super thus far, the only complaint i have is that the pacing could be a bit faster.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:57 am

its boring imo. If i wanted to watch BOG i'd just put in the movie. but I will hold all my opinions back till Universe 6 plot starts up. that could be interesting and for the most part, that's when Super will actually "start"
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:15 pm

I think it's pretty positive. I don't know if the consensus is overwhelmingly positive though. Personally it's just alright so far. A pretty play it safe show, as if they're buying time to create the new material. With all the bonus time they have, I don't think they've done anything spectacular that we couldn't just watch Battle of Gods for honestly and get the better experience.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:29 pm

I like it so far. I think some fans like to jump on the ban wagon and start to hate on it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ckal9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ckal9 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:37 pm

I am enjoying it so far. I'll paste here what I wrote in the other thread:

I think DBS will get better over time. It is by no means bad right now but has been somewhat underwhelming thus far. If DBS wasn't retelling BOG and RoF I think people would be much easier on it and give the chance it deserves to recapture our imaginations and feelings of childhood.

I am enjoying it so far, and now that the action is going and the story picking up pace, it will only get better from here.

Stick with it! We at least owe DBZ that much.

Avior259

Post by Avior259 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:58 pm

I like it, some things I feel it can be doing better in as others stated before, the pacing. I find myself interested to find out what's gonna happen next episode for the most part despite knowing most of the general plot from watching BoG and all so it must be doing something right.

I do find some people are quick to judge and hate super and have unrealistic expectations saying super is the downfall of dragon ball or "its gt all over again" which i find to be way too overdramatic and ridiculous imo but then also I find some complaints fair game and reasonable on how and why Super could be better.

Overall I'd still say I'm enjoying it very much, I didn't like the most recent episode due to how slow it felt but few episodes I dislike is to be expected and won't keep me from watching c:. Anxious to see Universe 6 arc already tho, get outta here RoF arc :D (unless it can bring out something good though, then I don't mind it)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:08 pm

Well, I enjoy it, but I think that BoG is on different level. All that stuff that I found funny in BoG is missing here, Vegeta's tako outburst was great so far, but that's it.
The choreography in Super isn't that good, Pilaf is completely nonrelevant and the encouters pale in comparison to BoG + Goku vs Beerus was unwatchable.
Other then alternative elements from BoG, it ads nothing new.

Curently, I enjoy Saint Seiya Soul Of Gold a lot more.

If there was no BoG, I would like the show more.
Here is my rating 5/10
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:12 pm

I think Super might feel more special if we never got the 2008 Jump Special, Kai, Episode of Bardock,the 2010 remake of PTETS, BOG and ROF between 2008 - 2015. So imagine if we got nothing between 2008 - 2015 then Toei announces Super for summer 2015 with the same story and script we have now. Would Super feel more special?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/