If you were to see a GT character made canon in DBS Who?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: If you were to see a GT character made canon in DBS Who?

Post by dae428 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:32 pm

I'm gonna be that guy and say that I think the whole Majoob thing is really freaking stupid... I mean Fat Boo is basically his own entity that no longer really has any relevance to Oob anymore. That's why when Oob was still Boo he spit out Fat Boo because he was nothing more than a nuisance that no longer needed to exist. I mean you can make the argument that Boo's power decreased when he spit out Fat Boo, but we have enough retcons and stupid theories floating around already. Just let Oob be his own character and Fat Boo be his own character.

I'm also gonna say that the Shadow Dragons thing makes no sense too. I mean because you make wishes which may or may not use energy of some kind, the dragon balls creates more energy except its evil because the wishes that Shen Long granted were evil even though they weren't for the most case, causing evil Dragons to come out to just destroy everything for no reason? I'm sorry but that's always come off to me as freaking stupid. I get it the Dragon Balls mess with the laws of nature and shouldn't be used as a fix-it-all tool, but honestly, there were better ways to handle this.

I will say that of all the villains of GT the only one I actually liked was Baby and how he was this parasitic being that attached itself to other beings. It was great how Baby was basically kind of weakling but by getting into more hosts he was able to become more powerful. I thought that was a great idea despite the fact that kind of ripped off both Cell's sneakiness and the whole Vegeta becoming evil thing but that's just really a nitpick thing. I will say though that I really, really loathe the idea of Baby being this Tsufurujin thing though. I've just never liked the idea of the whole Saiyajins fighting the Tsufurujins thing I don't know it just comes off as a bit lame to me.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:55 pm

Majiuub was okay. Felt like a rehash of Piccolo and Kami if you ask me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:58 pm

dae428 wrote:I'm gonna be that guy and say that I think the whole Majoob thing is really freaking stupid... I mean Fat Boo is basically his own entity that no longer really has any relevance to Oob anymore. That's why when Oob was still Boo he spit out Fat Boo because he was nothing more than a nuisance that no longer needed to exist. I mean you can make the argument that Boo's power decreased when he spit out Fat Boo, but we have enough retcons and stupid theories floating around already. Just let Oob be his own character and Fat Boo be his own character.

I'm also gonna say that the Shadow Dragons thing makes no sense too. I mean because you make wishes which may or may not use energy of some kind, the dragon balls creates more energy except its evil because the wishes that Shen Long granted were evil even though they weren't for the most case, causing evil Dragons to come out to just destroy everything for no reason? I'm sorry but that's always come off to me as freaking stupid. I get it the Dragon Balls mess with the laws of nature and shouldn't be used as a fix-it-all tool, but honestly, there were better ways to handle this.

I will say that of all the villains of GT the only one I actually liked was Baby and how he was this parasitic being that attached itself to other beings. It was great how Baby was basically kind of weakling but by getting into more hosts he was able to become more powerful. I thought that was a great idea despite the fact that kind of ripped off both Cell's sneakiness and the whole Vegeta becoming evil thing but that's just really a nitpick thing. I will say though that I really, really loathe the idea of Baby being this Tsufurujin thing though. I've just never liked the idea of the whole Saiyajins fighting the Tsufurujins thing I don't know it just comes off as a bit lame to me.
The wishes weren't evil, they simply absorbed negative energy into them as many wishes were used to primarily rid the world of evil things or rarely used for evil purposes ,like Piccolo getting younger for the former or the multiple times the DBs were used to restore people back to life after being killed by evil beings such as Freeza, Cell and Buu.

This accumulation of negative energy wasn't a problem because the DBs would filter it out over the years it took between summons, with the heroes being able to hunt them down easily and abuse them to hell cause they're fucking morons post the Freeza Saga, it created too much negative energy and spawned the Shadow Dragons, giving us the only arc where the good guys piss poor decision making came back to bite them in the ass and the arc knew that. Unlike the Cell Saga which is much the same except it never, ever, ever, brings up the point its all their fault. The Shadow Dragons are the birth of all the negative energy created by the over and misuse of the Dragon Balls a lot of which is the heroes fault, that alone makes them as a concept worth revisiting.

As for Baby, I like that he's a byproduct of the Saiyan's many genocides. They were mass murdering bastards who deserved to get annihilated, it only makes sense eventually one of their conquests would come back to bite them in the ass. Getting rid of that just makes Baby into a generic DB villain who's evil because he's evil and no other reason but that.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:05 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Majiuub was okay. Felt like a rehash of Piccolo and Kami if you ask me.
Except you can't compare the absolutely fantastic dynamic between what Piccolo Daimao and his son/reincarnation represent and Kami with this rushed "version" of it. It was pretty obvious they were going to have Uub develop on his connection to Majin Buu, despite the fact that there should be none; the fact that he's the reincarnated soul of Kid Buu should bear no significance on the way his body works or on his (in)ability to fuse with/absorb other entities. He's a regular human being, apart from his fighting potential.
dae428 wrote:I will say that of all the villains of GT the only one I actually liked was Baby and how he was this parasitic being that attached itself to other beings. It was great how Baby was basically kind of weakling but by getting into more hosts he was able to become more powerful. I thought that was a great idea despite the fact that kind of ripped off both Cell's sneakiness and the whole Vegeta becoming evil thing but that's just really a nitpick thing. I will say though that I really, really loathe the idea of Baby being this Tsufurujin thing though. I've just never liked the idea of the whole Saiyajins fighting the Tsufurujins thing I don't know it just comes off as a bit lame to me.
I share the same idea on the concept of Baby having some potential but also being a slightly altered version of Cell (getting his power from others, also seen with Super Buu) and Majin Vegeta (although this time in a non-deliberate way).

Don't know why you don't like the Tsufuru-jin concept. It's basically there to explain why the Saiya-jin and Freeza's armies possess the equipment and technology they possess in the Saiya-jin and Freeza arcs, but I've always viewed them as far too benevolent to actually generate someone who has a wish for vengeance on the Saiya-jin. They basically went for whatever was "new" they could grab onto.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:34 pm

Piccolo and Kami's fusion definitely had a more interesting premise behind it, them literally being halves of a whole. (Or in this case a half and the other half's son?) I wish they did more to play off of the themes more, especially since Kami's personality took no hold in Piccolo afterward.

I second the idea of Uub being super weird and unique and cool and stuff though. Maybe not necessarily taking Buu's powers, but as the person that's apparently supposed to be the new main character/Goku's successor, GT didn't really do a good job at making him exciting or important.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:18 pm

Basically Indian Luffy? :lol:
Man, this is how I envisioned Uub way before I heard of Luffy! Kid Buu came first!

Words can't express the joy I felt when Buu split into mini-Buus against SSJ3 Goku. It was so bizarre and awesome. Oh, and his cannon ball attack. And that dance of his he taunts his enemies with! It was his abilities that made the battles in that saga so enjoyable for me.

So much potential for creativity with a character like that. :3
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:45 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: The wishes weren't evil, they simply absorbed negative energy into them as many wishes were used to primarily rid the world of evil things or rarely used for evil purposes ,like Piccolo getting younger for the former or the multiple times the DBs were used to restore people back to life after being killed by evil beings such as Freeza, Cell and Buu.

This accumulation of negative energy wasn't a problem because the DBs would filter it out over the years it took between summons, with the heroes being able to hunt them down easily and abuse them to hell cause they're fucking morons post the Freeza Saga, it created too much negative energy and spawned the Shadow Dragons, giving us the only arc where the good guys piss poor decision making came back to bite them in the ass and the arc knew that. Unlike the Cell Saga which is much the same except it never, ever, ever, brings up the point its all their fault. The Shadow Dragons are the birth of all the negative energy created by the over and misuse of the Dragon Balls a lot of which is the heroes fault, that alone makes them as a concept worth revisiting.

As for Baby, I like that he's a byproduct of the Saiyan's many genocides. They were mass murdering bastards who deserved to get annihilated, it only makes sense eventually one of their conquests would come back to bite them in the ass. Getting rid of that just makes Baby into a generic DB villain who's evil because he's evil and no other reason but that.
I have nothing against the concept as a whole I just really don't like it's use in GT with the whole shadow dragons. I get that there should be repercussions for using the Dragon Balls but I just don't think the shadow dragons were the right way to go about it. The whole negative energy thing isn't really made clear to my recollection and it just comes off as kind of odd. Is it destruction? Is it just evil energy? It get's even more weird when you get to the part where SS4 Gogeta kicks a ball of negative energy and makes it positive... Despite all this, I will say that most of my hatred of the shadow dragons does kind of come from my own shallowness in that most if not all of the dragons kind of had lame designs and boring/one note personalities.

Honestly though upon further inspection, while I think the concept is actually really great, a part of me also kind of wouldn't like it as I feel that throughout the series the Dragon Balls was the force that brought all of the characters together and became kind of the symbol of Dragon Ball as a whole... I mean to have the Dragon Balls suddenly become the main antagonist, it really is kind of weird. I mean didn't the last manga chapter say something like, "... as long as the Dragon Balls are here, the Earth will always be safe." or something like that... Then there's the fact that they kind of already had limits to begin and couldn't necessarily interfere with nature. Though this was honestly more something that was probably done to stop the Dragon Balls from being a Deus Ex Machina. Plus you'd think that the creators of the Dragon Balls or elder Kai would know about this and kind of out a stop to the whole situation before it got out of hand, but honestly that's not necessarily much of an argument as it is a nitpick.

For the case of Baby, I'm perfectly fine with the idea of him being a byproduct of a Saiyan genocide. I just don't like the fact that there were both Saiyans and Tsufurujins on the planet that would become Vegeta. I honestly can't really explain why I dislike it, it just kind of rubs me the wrong way for some reason and I was just never really a fan of the concept. I guess it's a, "It's not you, it's me situation."

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:23 am

If I were to say realistically, I would think Gogeta is the only movie/GT character that has a chance of becoming canon. Obviously not the SSJ4 incarnation though.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:25 pm

precita wrote:If I were to say realistically, I would think Gogeta is the only movie/GT character that has a chance of becoming canon. Obviously not the SSJ4 incarnation though.
I wouldn't say he actually has a chance of becoming canon by being (re)introduced in DBSuper, but - in fact in accordance with the whole topic of the thread, along the lines of wishful thinking more than actual probability of it becoming true - he's also the one character I'd like to see the most making a (re)appearance, also because it would bring the concept of fusion back to the franchise. Putting GT to the sidelines as a non-canon story, we only saw Gogeta for about 2 minutes in Movie 12, which is itself non-canon too (like all other movies, except perhaps Movie 9). His counterpart Vegitto does have quite a lot of screen time in comparison against Super Buu. Although Vegitto is stronger, given the fact that the Potara method of fusion brings better end results, Gogeta has enormous potential, but I don't see them bringing back fused characters, or any sort of fusion technique, for that matter, in DBSuper (I'm glad it was mentioned by Goku after getting KO'd by Beerus both in BoG and in DBSuper's version of the same fight aftermath), especially not with the dance method.

It's really a waste, though. At least Vegitto IS canon, but Gogeta, along with a few concepts from GT, was poorly handled to the point of frustration, and it goes along the same exact lines as the entire potential GT had that went wasted by having the story being developed so hastily.

Sun Wukong
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sun Wukong » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:26 pm

The 3 main shadow dragons, Super 17, Majuub, Rildo, Bebi. That's about it.
"I was born in a small village. I was still a child when we were raided by soldiers. Foreign soldiers. Torn from my elders, I was made to speak their language. With each new post my masters changed. Along with the words they made me speak. With each change, I changed too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw right and wrong. Words - can - kill."
—Skull Face

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:11 pm

Super 17 was a terrible idea. Let Android 17 live the rest of his life in peace as a park ranger.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:16 am

Soooo we're all gonna ignore the elephant in the room? Fine I'll say it. Ledgic. I'd love to see Ledgic in DBS or at least someone from his species cause that shoulder spike to swords thing was cool! Also I'd still listen to his dub voice read a phone book.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:10 pm

totally forgot about ledgic...not really GT but pikkon? he'd be cool to have
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:27 pm

Ledigc was cool, I always forget that he exist since most GT characters where forgettable and had nothing really memorable about them.
She/Her

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:54 pm

The thing is, DBS isn't "canon" in the sense that the OP probably meant. DBS is a followup of the anime DBZ. So yeah, filler characters can definitely appear just like Gregory did.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:20 pm

If Toriyama has more input of the story for Super then he did with GT then you could say that Gregory got the Bardock treatment. Meaning that Toriyama like the character to be added.
She/Her

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:25 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:If Toriyama has more input of the story for Super then he did with GT then you could say that Gregory got the Bardock treatment. Meaning that Toriyama like the character to be added.
BoG & FnF arcs are Toei's creations. The U6 is gonna be Toriyama's.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:20 pm

Ushabtis wrote:totally forgot about ledgic...not really GT but Paikuhan? he'd be cool to have
That's one of the few flaws that GT had,no Pikkon....like anywhere. A total waste. I see super as a sequel to super since it has gregory
so toriyama making pikkon manga canon would be great.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:16 am

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
Ushabtis wrote:totally forgot about ledgic...not really GT but Paikuhan? he'd be cool to have
That's one of the few flaws that GT had,no Paikuhan....like anywhere. A total waste. I see super as a sequel to super since it has gregory
so toriyama making Paikuhan manga canon would be great.
Few flaws? Wow...

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:27 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
That's one of the few flaws that GT had,no Paikuhan....like anywhere. A total waste. I see super as a sequel to super since it has gregory
so toriyama making Paikuhan manga canon would be great.
Few flaws? Wow...
Yes few. Next to Z and ball it basically has no plot holes,even if you count the ones tht carry over from Z like no kaioken.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)