Do you ever feel like your love for the series is dying?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gohanhx

Do you ever feel like your love for the series is dying?

Post by Gohanhx » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:59 am

Do you?
It keeps happening to me but temporarily. Like, right now, even though, we have new things such as Super and Rof, i don't feel much. Ofcourse its nice to have new things but I am just not as excited as I should be.

So, do you people also feel like this sometimes?

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Do you ever feel like your love for the series is dying?

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:10 am

Not really. If anything, I keep liking it more and more every time I learn something new about it. I wish I could write some long post about it, but I don't really have any long history with the franchise. I loved it from the moment I first watched it a few years ago and kept loving it until this day.
Last edited by Doctor. on Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:12 am

Shortly after Episode of Bardock I did. There was nothing new coming out that interested me. It wasn't just EoB though, a bunch of my artist friends were also retiring from the fandom so I had fewer people to talk Dragon Ball with. I freefalled in lack of interest in DB until BOG was announced, and now I'm back and interested again.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:14 am

I think the only thing that would honestly kill my interest in new Dragon Ball is a new cast, like the way Yu-Gi-Oh! or Digimon do it. And even then, no one is taking my favorite parts of the series away. And even then then, if some weird, say, Dragon Ball Online special was created using those avatars, but it didn't "take over" or "reboot" the franchise, I would watch that happily.

Also, Kanzenshuu is constantly unearthing old interviews with Toriyama. Getting a peak into his mindset when he was actually drawing DB, or even during Slump, enlivens the experience to great heights, I feel. It informs everything else about the series and forces you to see it through a new lens. it's hard to get bored with that.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:22 am

After I first finished reading the manga (via terrible scanlations) in the 90s, and again once I completed my set of all the Viz tankoubon (around ten years ago), I lost interest at some point. I'd like to say a year or two after each reading.

I remember watching BoG, but really the excitement of bringing back Freeza in the newest movie completely rejuvenated my enthusiasm for the series (I think I started thinking about it more again in late 2013, though I think I was fully on board the bandwagon once again once RoF was announced). I think RoF is highly flawed, but I have high hopes that some of the issues will be amended in Super since the series is fleshed out.

All three times my attitude has been different. My first affair with Dragon Ball was one obsessed with power levels, and marked by collecting and playing tons of the Japanese-only games from the 90s. The second time I moved on more to plot issues, but was still pretty power focussed. Since my latest renewal of interest, I've been attempting to appreciate the series on the basis of its merits as a work of fiction. Canon/continuity, character development, and world/universe building are everything to me now. I think this current position is sustainable, since I'm not taking an overwhelming fanboy approach as I had at least the first time (and potentially the second time), and it's allowing me to enjoy the franchise in a different way than I had in the past.

Maybe my interest will die again, and perhaps permanently (since Super is probably the final main release of the franchise), but I don't think the end is in sight yet, for me at least.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:30 am

I've never lost interest in DBZ. Even when I stop following it, I can still rewatch one of the many versions of it (or the movies) and fall back in love. Have not ever read the manga either, so that should hold my interest whenever I do too.

Note, I said DBZ. DB was enjoyable... once. I only rewatched some scenes a few times. Haven't touched the series in years. GT was boring the first time around and I struggled to get by it, and have not bothered since. Super is...well, I'm following evey episode and still interested, so that's a good thing. A lot about it bothers the HFIL out of me though.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:17 pm

Gohanhx wrote:Do you?
It keeps happening to me but temporarily. Like, right now, even though, we have new things such as Super and Rof, i don't feel much. Ofcourse its nice to have new things but I am just not as excited as I should be.

So, do you people also feel like this sometimes?
There was a big lull at some point for me -- sort of after I stopped watching DBZ, ran out of fanfiction, and didn't like GT, was getting into other series… (I started being more into LoTR again, then Harry Potter)… Then there started being new material and I became interested again in spurts. But even that waxed and waned periodically. I'm more interested now than I really have been since like 1999, though.

I think it is normal with anything you like to have different levels of interest. It may come back, it may not.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:26 pm

My love and interest in the series nearly dissipated after GT, because of how much of a letdown it was to me after the high I was coming in from Z. After GT, the franchise provided nothing enticing for me. I was sure as hell was not interest in double dipping back into the home releases, the video games at the time, the Tenkaichi series in particularly, just didn't do it for me in the long run and you can only re-watch DBZ and re-read certain parts of the manga so many times before you want something new.

Then I heard a live action Dragon Ball movie was happening, and my first reaction was, "Holy shit! This is gonna be awesome!" Then I saw the trailer... and my heart sank. I still wanted it to be good because at that stage my interest in the franchise was at an all time low. So I watched the movie in vain that I was hoping that it would be so bad, it'd be good. It wasn't. I honestly considered quitting the fandom because there was just nothing fresh or new for me to get into. Then a few days after watching DBE, I heard about Dragon Ball Kai. The premise sounded unique enough that decided to give the show a shot and I watched it. And I loved it. Then I started watching the FUNi dubbed version, and I fell in love with the show even more. Even though I never finished watching all of Kai as my studies and other activities took up most of my free time, I watched enough of Kai to feel refreshed and interested about Dragon Ball again.

Then BOG was announced and I became a Dragon Ball fanatic all over again.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:27 pm

I feel like my love for the series was legitimate as a kid, but then as an adult, it was mostly fueled by nostalgia to be honest. I own everything I could possibly own of the series and the new stuff doesn't interest me as much because it does not illicit the same "feeling" that the old series did.

With that being said, I'm all for giving the new stuff a chance. I have yet to see Resurrection F or Dragon Ball Super because I'm waiting for it to officially be released so I can watch it once in Japanese and once in English. If that will happen any time soon is beyond me, but I don't want to spoil it for myself by watching it on YouTube or getting, what turn out to be, bootleg DVDs/Blu-rays. I made that mistake with Battle of Gods.

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:33 pm

It does die for me, but it might mellow from time to time.

FOr instance, I no longer feel to need to immediately watch Super on Sunday.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:33 pm

My love for the show died around the time of the Buu saga, but back when Kai 1.0 came out I started getting into it again. Then after Battle of Gods and news of the then-upcoming Resurrection 'F', I now stand by everyone in the name of "Z".

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:37 pm

Not at all. My love and passion for the series reignited with the announcement of Super, and I don't think it's going to die anytime soon. I've always loved the series, but I started losing interest about a year and a half ago. It feels good to be back into it. :)
Last edited by DoomieDoomie911 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:41 pm

Dragonball is just another anime to me. So I might love it but this new content. It's just new content. Nothing special Imo.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:25 pm

I don't think you could ever completely kill my love for this series. I'm too far down the rabbit hole by now.

I do sometimes feel like certain parts I've long loved have been stripped away, though. A good musical score, for instance. It's not enough to ruin my fun, but every now and then I find myself pining for the "good ol' days." Sometimes I do wonder how interested I'll still be once we've lost everything (the voice cast, Toriyama, etc.). Not that I'm anxious to find out.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Looneygamemaster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Looneygamemaster » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:14 pm

I think that my love for the anime has taken a big hit. I used to love the original show and considered it way better than Z--but watching it on Hulu, I'm not so certain that's true anymore.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:36 pm

Dying down somewhat I guess, but it's not in any critical spot. I'm not actively groaning when I think of the series or seeing anything as god awful. Now Sonic, that's the one that's dying for me :lol:.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:32 am

For me i guess, but it depends how you look at it. Even though I'm not too optimistic about the new DBS series and didnt even like the last movie, i think fanfiction, the old rewatched battles of Gohan vs cell and Goku vs Frieza really what shine my interest in dragon ball still.I liked dragon ball mainly for the way Toriyama wrote his characters and not for his efforts to try to create a battle manga in were many other mangakas like Kurumada had passion in. Frankly i still wonder why did Toriyama made his manga about martial arts, watched tons of films about martial arts of jackie chan and bruce lee but then turned his characters into casual planet/solar system busters? Even from watching Goku fighting against Tien in 23rd budokai tenkaichi tournament, the characters fighting was much more based about strategy, making right moves, showing a lot of fast movements and using opponents abilities to infiltrate their weaknesses something that the mainstream DBZ series lacked.
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:08 am

Well, for me...no.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:44 am

I dislike seeing (especially accomplished) younger fans. I am not so "accomplished" in my fandom (3 stages: [2000's]childhood casual, [late 2000s]ravenous pre-teen manga fan, [2013] teenage/adult classics enthusiast, and I hate the feeling of "I spent so much on this and it means nothing now because you made it look easy". I seriously re-consider my fandom then. Yeah, it's a piece of entertainment history, but do I care so much? I like re-living shared experiences with people that I know understand them. It's a brotherhood of sorts. It's why I've revisited Pokémon (watched from 99-07) fandom on YouTube, Digimon (1999-Christmas 2002) fandom on WtW, and YugiOh (from 2001) with the Japanese version (and perhaps HxH (2008) and Naruto (2005) or anything from US SJ (2005-2010) also count. I generally assume we (the exception being Pokémon) are mostly my own age or older, so it's a let-down having a child explain something beyond their years and even my own. I'm not one of the original fans of this show, either.

YugiOh (butchered dub), Digimon (a bit too old, perhaps), Pokémon (too broad? and still too old). Naruto? Perhaps a bit too old? I was 9 on the dub premiere, had been ignoring it for 2 years at the time, and I read it more or less up-to-date in Jump for 5 years before I quit manga.

Maybe "Beyblade" and "SonicX"? lol. All jokes aside, I don't find this show as essential to myself as for someone 5-10 years older, or folks like the masters of this site. It's not a massive part of my formative years as I was only a toddler; by the time I'd read DB, I'd seen plenty of bombastic laser action and bulky characters by then. It isn't the cornerstone pf my anime molding.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:18 am

No, not all, and I'm stoked that I can actually say that with 100% confidence. The strength and consistency of my fandom is a real testament to this franchise. I guess it helps that I don't indulge myself in the actual series constantly. It's my only little thing that I, for the most part, keep to myself. It's pretty much separate from uni and general socializing, unless it comes up. Outside of Super each week, I don't really watch the show often. Yet I'm still involved with it on a daily basis, in a way that rarely becomes tiring- through this forum and on Twitter (although sometimes I have dips in activity when it comes to the former).