Super really reminds me of original DB/Z anime

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Super really reminds me of original DB/Z anime

Post by coola » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:22 am

With Chi-Chi acting like soccer mom, who put study over everything, exposing some character traits (Buu acting like spoiled child) and long stares, and dramatic events (Bulma getting slapped) seriously gave me Dragon Ball and DBZ anime vibes, both GT and Kai were missing it, but, when i watched latest Super episodes, i seriously felt like I'm watching continuation of DBZ. And i personally find it to be very charming :)
Last edited by coola on Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super really reminds me of original DB/Z anime

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:52 am

Is Chi Chi really acting like a soccer mom who puts study over everything? From what I've seen in Super, she just wanted her family to avoid poverty and that issue was resolved in the first episode. Ever since then, she's just been.. well there. The character traits that have really been exploited in my opinion have been Majin Boo's. He's gone full blown Eric Cartman; an immensely annoying and insufferable glutton.

I will admit though, the first few episode of Super I've found quite charming, excluding EP5 for obvious reasons.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:00 pm

Well, she wanted put all money for Goten study :) And exploded with fury at Roshi, for his suggestion to how used that money :D
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:05 pm

He's gone full blown Eric Cartman; an immensely annoying and insufferable glutton.
Cartman is still brilliant. Shhhh or he'll make you eat your parents.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:09 pm

coola wrote:Well, she wanted put all money for Goten study :) And exploded with fury at Roshi, for his suggestion to how used that money :D
Cuz he was gonna use it for something perverted.

Oh and her yelling at him to set an example for the kids for doing his thing (it might be justified but it was this shit (both of them) got old fast). She's not as bad as she can be in the Z anime but is more one-note.

...And Mr. Boo.... don't get me started with that fat fuck.

There's also the glacial pacing...
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:13 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:There's also the glacial pacing...
This makes me think DB Super is to the movies what DBZ was to the manga in terms of pacing. Of course, DBZ actually had a slowly melting glacier in its opening, so maybe this isn't a fair comparison. :P

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:14 pm

I know, it was justified :) Still, that reaction remind me of how she act in anime, literally exploding with fury.
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:23 pm

This makes me think DB Super is to the movies what DBZ was to the manga in terms of pacing. Of course, DBZ actually had a slowly melting glacier in its opening, so maybe this isn't a fair comparison. :P
I prefer the anime to the manga, it lets moments breathe, and most of the filler that slows things down isn't the fights or even the staredowns, it's the constant cutaways to characters such as Chichi, Bulma, or Muten Roshi.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:28 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:There's also the glacial pacing...
Although it is a little different because manga to anime are two very different forms of media, where movie to show are both animated, so the whole "I can't wait to see what this fight looks like in motion" aspect isn't really there.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:24 pm

I feel like Super has taken the worst aspects of the anime, and lacks the best parts of it.

It has the tedious pacing and commonly off-model artstyle. It lacks the voice actors in their prime, Kikuchi, and the occasional on-model episode.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:41 pm

I miss Kikuchi...
(。T ω T。)

We haven't had many battles yet so my missing of Sound Effects had been delayed. I know I will miss those sound effects though. Especially the sound the ki blasts and ssj make.

Oh! OT:

It's been a while, but yes this does feel like Z's pacing.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:46 pm

coola wrote:With Chi-Ch acting like soccer mom, who put study over everything, exposing some character traits (Buu acting like spoiled child) and long stares, and dramatic events (Bulma getting slapped) seriously gave me Dragon Ball and DBZ anime vibes, both GT and Kai were missing it, but, when i watched latest Super episodes, i seriously felt like I'm watching continuation of DBZ. And i personally find it to be very charming :)
I still think Super is better paced than most of Z, but agree with the rest of what you said, and yes -- it's rendering even objective flaws rather charming.

VintageSaiyan
Temporarily Banned

Post by VintageSaiyan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Pales in comparison to Z. It's a silly slapstick comedy so far.

PolatGuy92

Post by PolatGuy92 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:47 am

I do hope that Gohan will get some luv in the future episodes :|

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:11 am

Nah, currently One Piece reminds me more of the old DBZ than Super...

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:32 pm

dougo13 wrote:Nah, currently One Piece reminds me more of the old DBZ than Super...
I agree. Currently One Piece pacing is horrible.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:27 am

Cipher wrote:
coola wrote:With Chi-Ch acting like soccer mom, who put study over everything, exposing some character traits (Buu acting like spoiled child) and long stares, and dramatic events (Bulma getting slapped) seriously gave me Dragon Ball and DBZ anime vibes, both GT and Kai were missing it, but, when i watched latest Super episodes, i seriously felt like I'm watching continuation of DBZ. And i personally find it to be very charming :)
I still think Super is better paced than most of Z, but agree with the rest of what you said, and yes -- it's rendering even objective flaws rather charming.
Yeah, i think it's funny when i see someone complaining about the Pilaf scenes. Yeah, they're such obviously just padding, but one would think the fandom would be more than used to that. It really feels like DBZ when they interrupt a fight scene to show the gang, like in episode 10. At least it's no "Bulma and Ginyu changing bodies". :lol:

Although i'm curious if they'll keep this narrative style once the U6 arc comes and it's all new stuff. I honestly hope so, rushed DB doesn't feel right to me.