vegeta's death against buu

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

vegeta's death against buu

Post by ssj4 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:44 pm

Okay when Vegeta sacrificed himself he wondered what the afterlife would be like. But he already died once against Freeza. So is this a plothole or something?

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: vegeta's death against buu

Post by Analytical Delusion » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:17 pm

How much time had passed between his death and resurrection? Probably not even an hour. My guess is he and the Nameks were still on line to be judged by Enma at that point, so he hadn't been to heaven/hell yet. He likely expected his second death to be permanent, since the Earth DBs at that point only allowed you to be revived once, and because the Namekian balls would be out of the question (especially with Goku also dead and unable to teleport there).

Something else to consider, he might have figured he did enough good between his deaths to tip the scale. Or figured that keeping your body had more to do with your strength than your goodness.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:19 pm

ssj4 wrote:ok when vegeta sacrificed himself he wondered what the afterlife would be like but he already died once against Freeza. so is this a plothole or something?
When you die, you first have to stand in line before Enma makes his judgement. When Vegeta was killed by Freeza, the line could simply have been too long for Vegeta to get a judgement before he was resurrected by Shenlong.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:47 pm

He died first on Namek. It doesn't work the same as death on Earth. Remember how Krillin's soul needed to be moved to Earth's afterlife just to get Krillin wished back?

My theory is without a planetary deity or some such like Kami/Dende, you don't get to see Enma.

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:08 pm

LuckyCat wrote:He died first on Namek. It doesn't work the same as death on Earth. Remember how Krillin's soul needed to be moved to Earth's afterlife just to get Krillin wished back?
Do you have the exact quote? I'm curious if it actually says afterlife in it. The Kaios watch over quadrants of the universe don't they? So they're pretty important guys. Wouldn't that make them limited to only Earth's afterlife? That doesn't sit right with me.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:53 pm

Sayo-chan wrote:Do you have the exact quote? I'm curious if it actually says afterlife in it. The Kaios watch over quadrants of the universe don't they? So they're pretty important guys. Wouldn't that make them limited to only Earth's afterlife? That doesn't sit right with me.
In the Viz manga, Bulma says Namek is "out of North Kaio's jurisdiction" so later she wishes Krillin (and Goku's) souls to be summoned right "to this spot". The inference is that without North Kai involved, the souls don't go through the same process Piccolo described in Buu saga.

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:43 am

LuckyCat wrote:
Sayo-chan wrote:Do you have the exact quote? I'm curious if it actually says afterlife in it. The Kaios watch over quadrants of the universe don't they? So they're pretty important guys. Wouldn't that make them limited to only Earth's afterlife? That doesn't sit right with me.
In the Viz manga, Bulma says Namek is "out of North Kaio's jurisdiction" so later she wishes Krillin (and Goku's) souls to be summoned right "to this spot". The inference is that without North Kai involved, the souls don't go through the same process Piccolo described in Buu saga.
I see, but I don't see how that means there's more than one afterlife in the universe. It seems as though all it's saying is it's in another Kaio's quadrant, which to my knowledge, all four of them reside in the same afterlife. I've always gone by the various pictorial representations of it:
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:23 am

Sayo-chan wrote:I see, but I don't see how that means there's more than one afterlife in the universe. It seems as though all it's saying is it's in another Kaio's quadrant, which to my knowledge, all four of them reside in the same afterlife.
That's also my interpretation. I'm guessing the other Kaios work slower or don't do the soul cleansing thing. The other possibility is that Namek is out of every Kaio's jurisdiction which would explain why Krillin's soul needed to be moved.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Resurrection 'F' supports the implication that different planets have their own after life, continuously referring to "being stuck in earth's hell." Since Kami took Goku to otherworld after Raditz, my theory is that every planet with a god/guardian sees Enma/Yemma at the central hub, but after being judged they get sent to their own planet's designated after life. Now if your planet doesn't have a god/guardian, you're fucked. Someone more creative than me can probably link this to the souls killed by King Piccolo not going to the after life since King Piccolo was linked to Earth's guardian.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:01 pm

I remember it being stated that being killed by a Demon such as King Piccolo would cause your soul to be stuck in limbo between the living world and the afterlife. I once read that the same rule applies to Frieza, which makes sense considering both Vegeta and Krillin return to life without their clothes being restored.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:04 pm

90sDBZ wrote:I remember it being stated that being killed by a Demon such as King Piccolo would cause your soul to be stuck in limbo between the living world and the afterlife.
Does it mean that Mutaito was stuck between the living world and the aterlife, or doesn't it count, because he was using Mafuba? I guess only Chiaotzu was actually killed by Piccolo Daimao's hands.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:29 pm

90sDBZ wrote:I once read that the same rule applies to Freeza, which makes sense considering both Vegeta and Krillin return to life without their clothes being restored.
Nothing in the anime or manga states that, so it would be nice if you could share where you read it. Also, Krillin's clothing is restored:
He should have a big gaping hole like this: