Bruce Faulconer: Lying Fraud Extraordinaire

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ree
Regular

Bruce Faulconer: Lying Fraud Extraordinaire

Post by Ree » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:47 pm

disclaimer: This is not a threead for how bad his music sucks, I dont mind it. I DO mind credit-taking frauds which he is one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_sXOquzxps

Basically he took credit for the entire soundtrack even though he did the least work. that, to me, is worse than ANY of his bad music combined.

Why do people call out Yamamoto but ignore Faulconer?
Last edited by Ree on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why was Bruce Faulconer allowed to get away with this?

Post by EXBadguy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:02 pm

Cuz Falconer doesn't steal any music like Yammamoto did. And as for the vid, yeah, he should've gave those guys more credit, but then again, Falconer was still the guy behind it, so I'm not that bothered.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:21 pm

EXBadguy wrote:Cuz Falconer doesn't steal any music like Yammamoto did. And as for the vid, yeah, he should've gave those guys more credit, but then again, Falconer was still the guy behind it, so I'm not that bothered.
What Faulconer did is arguably worse. Yamamoto stole music but at least the tracks that he made for Kai and etc, he still composed them himself. Faulconer gave no credit to other people's work.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:32 pm

Doctor. wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:Cuz Falconer doesn't steal any music like Yammamoto did. And as for the vid, yeah, he should've gave those guys more credit, but then again, Falconer was still the guy behind it, so I'm not that bothered.
What Faulconer did is arguably worse. Yamamoto stole music but at least the tracks that he made for Kai and etc, he still composed them himself. Faulconer gave no credit to other people's work.
I thought it was only one person he forgot to give credit to. Unless I've misinterpreted. Meh, what do I care though. I'll just call it Morgan/Faulconer studios if that's the case. Yes, even if the guy left the studio, he still deserves the credit(even though Faulconer has that right to remove his name, it's still unethical), but the music won't stop being for what it is for people who grew with it, it's Faulconer himself, HE'S the problem, not the soundtrack.

I sure hope Faulconer or the publishing company who made the current CDs did was a mistake, becuz I'm giving him a benifit of a doubt, since I thought he was a good guy.

EDIT: Wait a minute, wasn't this one of the reasons why Faulconer was fired?
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:09 am

basically, Funimation got a new composer for GT and Bruce Faulconer didnt like that so he gave out email addresses for Funimation staff members and encouraged people to spam their inboxes. at least that's what I heard.

Coycoy88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Coycoy88 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:11 pm

There were 3 people Faulconer hired to 'ghost' compose for him for Dragonball Z. Scott Morgan, Mike Smith, and Julius Dobos. They are the ones that did 90% of the actual work, while he took all the official credit. Faulconer only personally did a select few tracks like "Ginyu Transformation", and the "Cell Jr's" theme. Iv'e got mad respect for these men, aha. :)
My Youtube account (Coycoy88)

I primarily rip and upload unreleased Faulconer Productions music, as well as some other American dub music.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:57 pm

So, basically, most of the US DBZ soundtrack was made by ghost composers? Wow.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:23 pm

So I guess it's not really fair to call it the "Bruce Faulconer score"...
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

DragonDuck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragonDuck » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:42 pm

Wasn't a lot of it credited to "Faulconer Productions"?
Champion of 2nd Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenka'ichi Budokai

There should be a witty quote or something down here. I'm just not imaginative enough to come up with anything.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:32 pm

Kind of irked that he still basically acts like he did it all himself even as of the most recent interview.

That being said, I believe his position basically gave him the right to take credit, but as EXBadguy pointed out, it was pretty unethical. It seems like he did a lot more supervising than actual composing, but only someone from the inside could really answer as to what he was doing when everybody else was composing. Scott Morgan has an account on here, so he would likely know.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:05 pm

Coycoy88 wrote:There were 3 people Faulconer hired to 'ghost' compose for him for Dragonball Z. Scott Morgan, Mike Smith, and Julius Dobos. They are the ones that did 90% of the actual work, while he took all the official credit. Faulconer only personally did a select few tracks like "Ginyu Transformation", and the "Cell Jr's" theme. Iv'e got mad respect for these men, aha. :)
Seriously? That's... fucking awful. And, in my opinion, way worse than the shit Yammamoto pulled. :thumbdown:

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:38 pm

Yeah it is! I hope someday he stops making money off these tracks.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:51 pm

The video is from 2009, but since I hadn't seen it before, I wonder if the next person who interviews him in the future would have the guts to ask him about this.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:54 pm

Ree wrote:Yeah it is! I hope someday he stops making money off these tracks.
He can only make money on it nowadays if it airs on TV, which the last time it happened was only for the Toonami April Fools event back in 2012. He gets no royalties on any of the home releases due to the court case he lost against Funimation.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:36 am

Then i guess he got what he deserved!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Bruce Faulconer: Lying Fraud Extraordinaire

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:07 pm

From what I understand, the credit for these songs goes to "Faulconer Productions," which all of these people worked for, not to Bruce Faulconer himself. So, legally, what he did isn't remotely comparable to Yamamoto's plagiarism.

Of course, I could be entirely wrong, but that's how I've been led to understand it. A bunch of people on the internet like to throw around labels like "the Faulconer music," or stuff like that, but it's not Faulconer's job to go in and correct everybody who is uninformed.

To my knowledge, Faulconer also doesn't go around claiming that he made all of the music, so calling him a "lying fraud" is somewhat uncalled for. Again, I may be mistaken.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:07 pm

Did you watch the video in my first post? it says recent releases only credit Bruce Faulconer which isnt fair. he has the legal right but it is still wrong. cRookie_Monster can tell you more.

no but it's his job to credit everybody who got him where he was.

How is it uncalled for? You can read the comments of the video to see he claims them as his own

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:21 pm

Ree wrote:Did you watch the video in my first post? it says recent releases only credit Bruce Faulconer which isnt fair. he has the legal right but it is still wrong. cRookie_Monster can tell you more.

no but it's his job to credit everybody who got him where he was.

How is it uncalled for? You can read the comments of the video to see he claims them as his own
I don't take one source, even from a guy as cool as Scott (who comes across as a great guy, from the few times I've spoken to him on here), as definitive proof of anything.

I'm not going to take the word of only one of the parties involved to immediately judge the other party as being "in the wrong." I don't know enough about the situation, and, while I'm certainly indicating no offense towards Scott Morgan, he's not exactly in the right place to come across as unbiased.

And I'm extremely skeptical as to whether the "Bruce Faulconer" in the comments is actually Bruce Faulconer.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:34 pm

Maybe not but I see no reason how Scott Morgan would be wrong or lying about anything.

ignore the fake Bruce Faulconer, I meant comments from Morganstudios for more insight on it.

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:02 am

Doctor. wrote:
No, Yamamoto copying other people's music is still the bigger evil of the two. Faulconer's just a case of ghostwriting.

It's lazy, comes off as sleazy, and one can empathize with the feelings of the other composers regretting what they signed up for, but it was still all handled legitimately from what I understand. It isn't a totally alien practice in the scoring business either. Even the likes of Hans Zimmer does this a lot if I recall correctly.

What Yamamoto did was commit plagiarism, which can infringe on certain rights and have consequences.