So about C.Sabat's "new" voice...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: So about C.Sabat's "new" voice...

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:27 am

Ree wrote:If you can act as both versions of Vegeta why does it matter so much how you sound?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Drummond is a good actor, but his voice doesn't fit Vegeta later on. It sounds too stereotypically evil.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:54 am

you may say he doesn't fit later on but Chris Sabat doesn't fit the character at ANY point.
https://instagram.com/p/hGIkGTJgdD/ and I wouldnt call this stereotypically evil.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:57 am

Ree wrote:Which Chris Vegeta voice are you talking about in particular?
I haven't watched the whole dub -- only snippets here and there. More recent stuff is way better. Older stuff is worse -- but I think I heard he was trying to maintain some semblance of countinuity so he didn't create a new voice all at once.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:19 pm

you may say he doesn't fit later on but Chris Sabat doesn't fit the character at ANY point.
Because his voice is deep?

Drummond gives his Vegeta voice a sinister quality, which is fine, earlier on. I don't like the voice when Vegeta is calmer and more domesticated. I've heard snippets of Drummond from the Westwood dub and I'm not a fan.
but I think I heard he was trying to maintain some semblance of countinuity so he didn't create a new voice all at once.
The producers at the time wanted all of the actors to sound as much like their Ocean Group counterparts. It hampered their performances a lot.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:25 pm

Deep, raspy, a bit whiny at points, doesn't sound battle-hardened enough or like a prince.

I like Brian and Roger because they arent too deep, too raspy, they don't sound whiny, they actually sound like princes.

or instead of reading all of the above you vcan watch,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btOlW6st5io
It doesnt mention Roger Rhodes or have much Chris Sabat Kai clips but it gets the point across to the viewers.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:31 pm

Ree wrote:Deep, raspy, a bit whiny at points, doesn't sound battle-hardened enough or like a prince.

I like Brian and Roger because they arent too deep, too raspy, they don't sound whiny, they actually sound like princes.

or instead of reading all of the above you vcan watch,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btOlW6st5io
It doesnt mention Roger Rhodes or have much Chris Sabat Kai clips but it gets the point across to the viewers.
But the rasp works, it sounds natural. I have no idea what a battle hardened prince is supposed to sound like, nor do I have any idea where you got the idea that 29 year olds can't have really deep voices. And when does Sabat sound whiny? In places where Vegeta is in fact whiny don't count. Drummond has amazing screams, but that doesn't make him better in the role. Ryo Horikawa is the best Vegeta but even his screams aren't as good as Drummond's. Sabat's screams are good, and I don't like youtube videos like that, it's not proof of anything. It takes those moments out of context.

What does a prince sound like?

Who's Roger Rhodes?
Last edited by ABED on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:33 pm

Raspy sounds more battle hardened and princely than Drummond's sort of nasal stereotypical villain voice. Drummond's sounds way more "whiny" to me and much less princely, and doesn't have the heft I associate with Vegeta.

Saw video, disagreed on every instance mentioned, I think.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:34 pm

Drummond has a clear rasp as well.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:43 pm

Raspy sounds more battle hardened and princely than Drummond's sort of nasal stereotypical villain voice. Drummond's sounds way more "whiny" to me and much less princely, and doesn't have the heft I associate with Vegeta.

where does it sound nasal to you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOXyGXWQXUE 0:35 to the end is whiny especially when he's screaming.

Drummond has a clear rasp as well.

there's a slight rasp but its only slight and there are other layers to the voice.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:44 pm

How is that "whiny?"
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:48 pm

he sounded like he was on the verge of teard.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:51 pm

Ree wrote:he sounded like he was on the verge of teard.
I didn't hear it, and even if he was, that would fit the moment. If anything, that would give him more emotion, and better fit the character.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:00 pm

whoops, didnt see this!:

But the rasp works, it sounds natural. I have no idea what a battle hardened prince is supposed to sound like, nor do I have any idea where you got the idea that 29 year olds can't have really deep voices. And when does Sabat sound whiny? In places where Vegeta is in fact whiny don't count. Drummond has amazing screams, but that doesn't make him better in the role. Ryo Horikawa is the best Vegeta but even his screams aren't as good as Drummond's. Sabat's screams are good, and I don't like youtube videos like that, it's not proof of anything. It takes those moments out of context.

What does a prince sound like?

Who's Roger Rhodes?

they can have deep voices but I myself have never met anyone that age with that deep of a voice. I acknoeledge that they CAN have deep voices but the thing is so can even kids. but that doesnt mean anyone should expect deep voices from cartoon kids. i listed the credentials of what a prince should sound like earlier. In many of the clips I watched he was pretty whiny. I dont like him because of screams, I like him because he fits the character and so does Ryo from what I watched.

see my list from earlier.

Roger Rhodes is the GT Blue Water voice.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:03 pm

You've never met a thirty year-old with a deep voice?
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:06 pm

I have actually but they are not SUPER deep. (am not including smokers by the way)

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:14 pm

Ree wrote:I have actually but they are not SUPER deep. (am not including smokers by the way)
Sabat's not "super deep," either. I had 3 friends back in college who had waaaay deeper voices than his Piccolo, which is, from what I understand, his "normal" voice. And these were 20-22 year-olds. It's not at all uncommon to have your voice more or less "settle" by your early twenties.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:23 pm

Ree wrote: where does it sound nasal to you?
Maybe nasal is not quite the right word? Just weirdly pitched or something? Just everywhere -- it is an overall quality of the voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOXyGXWQXUE 0:35 to the end is whiny especially when he's screaming.
I like that scream a lot. it is very heartfelt.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:17 am

ABED wrote: Drummond gives his Vegeta voice a sinister quality, which is fine, earlier on. I don't like the voice when Vegeta is calmer and more domesticated.
You mean the same "domesticated" Vegeta that was virtually uncontrollable in the Cell arc or the guy who plotted to become Majin Vegeta and enjoyed blowing up half a stadium? This isn't Piccolo we're talking about. Even before and after his Majin transformation he was still shown intimidating others and being constantly on the edge. Vegeta was only shown to be happy when being evil or sadistically toying with weaker opponents and the truth is Drummond's "stereotypical villain voice" fits the character I just described perfectly (more so when you factor in his small stature and the fact that short men with deep voices are the exception NOT the rule).

This romanticised opinion that Vegeta is a good guy after Namek and should sound less evil comes from people being accustomed to Sabat's version of the character. I admit he fits the princely side of the character but it totally misses the mark when it comes to portraying Vegeta's retained villainous traits. In the context of the anime (Z) in which we're shown a former villain with a snide cocky attitude, Drummond's voice is far more fitting for the character (yes, even in the later arcs).

I don't expect to change any opinions on here (especially not those who've been force fed Sabat for over 10 years) but I feel the need to occasionally bring balance to these deluded arguments against Drummond's Vegeta. Sabat's take on the character is far from perfect and in my honest opinion Funimation's Kai dub would have benefited from a new Vegeta to go along with their superior castings of both Gohan and Freeza.
irreality wrote:
Ree wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOXyGXWQXUE 0:35 to the end is whiny especially when he's screaming.
I like that scream a lot. it is very heartfelt.
It lacks in emotion though, something Drummond's Vegeta was never short of.

For comparisons sake:
Drummond
Sabat

Despite Sabat having the benefit of added reverb in this line his yell sounds like he's being hurt rather than screaming in rage. Drummond sounds like he's actually full of anger.

Another one that comes to mind is this and this. Sabat's version here is virtually monotone in comparison.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:10 am

This romanticised opinion that Vegeta is a good guy after Namek and should sound less evil comes from people being accustomed to Sabat's version of the character
Wrong on both counts. I never said he was a good guy, he's simply far less world conqueringly evil than he used to be and it has nothing to do with being accustomed to Sabat's version of the character. I've always held this opinion. And Vegeta didn't plot to become Majin Vegeta because he's the ultimate evil, he's more conflicted than you seem to give him credit for. He thought it was what he wanted but as we quickly see, that's not the case.
more so when you factor in his small stature and the fact that short men with deep voices are the exception NOT the
They aren't rare either.
(especially not those who've been force fed Sabat for over 10 years) but I feel the need to occasionally bring balance to these deluded arguments against Drummond's Vegeta.
Thanks for implying that I only like Vegeta because it's the voice I'm familiar with.
It lacks in emotion though, something Drummond's Vegeta was never short of.
It doesn't lack emotion. There's no argument that Drummond is incredibly talented and has amazing screams (even better than Horikawa), but don't confuse screams with acting.
Another one that comes to mind is this and this. Sabat's version here is virtually monotone in comparison.
I prefer Sabat in this particular scene, Vegeta is far more subdued in that moment than Drummond's take would have you believe.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:53 am

Subdued doesn't mean you have to be monotone. The only emotion he can do from every clip shown in the thread so far is whiny.
Less evil doesn't make him less bad and didn't stop him from committing atrocities
they may not be exactly rare but they're not common either.
Screams are a PART of acting and no one is saying he's good because of screams