How did the retained voices turn out in your opinion?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ree
Regular

Re: How did the retained voices turn out in your opinion?

Post by Ree » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:59 pm

I think all of the Buu voices in any version are terrible and too overdone but yes Justin Cook is the worst of the Funimation Buu voices
he tries SO hard to sound "badass" but ends up sounding obnoxious
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:01 pm

What do you mean by "overdone"?

What problem do you have with Buu's Japanese voice?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:03 pm

exaggerated

Its annoying to me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:10 pm

Ree wrote:exaggerated

Its annoying to me.
It's appropriate to be exaggerated for certain characters. Majin Buu certainly qualifies.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:30 pm

Not to the point of annoyance.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:54 pm

Ree wrote:Not to the point of annoyance.
Obviously our mileages vary.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:08 pm

Like with the recasted characters thread, I can only comment on the few retained actors I've heard already, so here it goes...

Goku - Sean Schemmel is getting really good in the role. With his attempts at dumbing down Goku, and giving himself a higher voice (akin to Nozawa), he's doing better than he ever has. The only problem for me is that Schemmel's voice was never the most fitting for the character, so he has to compensate in a way that seems forced at times. Though I appreciate his acting; his voice isn't that naturally high, and it doesn't sound wholly right when he tries to get it there with Goku.

Vegeta - There's nothing much I can really say about Sabat's current Vegeta voice. I can take or leave the regal inflections, and he is getting up there in age, but Sabat sounds about as good as he has for the past 10 years. However, my favorite era of his Vegeta voice is still around the Majin Buu saga to the Redubs.

Piccolo - Now this is easily my favorite change-up in voice with a retained actor. Piccolo has always been my favorite character, and for years, nothing has come close to topping Mcneil in the role, but I can finally say Sabat is actually catching up to him. He hasn't completely rid himself of that "growl" (I don't think it's possible to, either, given Sabat's already deep voice), but my god, Sabat sounds more natural voicing Piccolo now than any other character In Z. It does just sound his like normal speaking voice with an edge and the best acting possible from him in the role. I've got nothing but praise, honestly.

Krillin - Like Sabat, there's not much I can say about Strait in the role. He's had mostly the same voice for Krillin for the past 10 years, and I still find it to be fine. His acting has improved, though.

Yamcha - Another improvement from Sabat. The surfer accent is gone, and though Sabat's voice isn't that naturally high (and it shows at times), it does sound good enough for Yamcha. That said, I wouldn't mind if the role was recasted.

Chi Chi - If I'm being perfectly honest, I've never cared much for Cranz in the role, and I still don't. I understand that Chi Chi isn't the easiest character to voice in a way that makes her seem likeable, but Cranz just sounds bad. Maybe it's her accent and the cheesy deepness to her voice in scenes where Chi Chi is angry. Idk. I'd prefer the role recasted, but I can tolerate her alright, I guess.

Nail - The butler-esque accent and deeper voice really help me forget that Schemmel is voicing the character at times. It's a good performance, and the best he's ever done with Nail

Tien - Burgmeier is as good as he ever was, and I still like him in the role.

King Kai - Schemmel was never right for the character in the first place. His Kai is still the most dumbed down, stereotypically overweight sounding Kai I've heard thus far. It's only out of nostalgia that I can tolerate Schemmel still playing him, but that role should have been recasted a while ago.

Raditz - Cook is still as cheesy and non menacing as he ever was in the role. At least Jason Gray Stanford had some bite to him.

Roshi - It's a shame that Kai cuts so much filler to the point where I feel like Roshi isn't even on the show but for a few moments. I think Macfarland is still good in the role, but there's something about his voice I can't describe, that makes Roshi seem a little more crazed than usual.
Last edited by Man-Child on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:03 pm

Goku - Sean Schemmel is getting really good in the role. With his attempts at dumbing down Goku, and giving himself a higher voice (akin to Nozawa), he's doing better than he ever has. The only problem for me is that Schemmel's voice was never the most fitting for the character, so he has to compensate in a way that seems forced at times
Are you sure you're not remembering it wrong? His voice was higher in Z, noticeably higher.
The surfer accent is gone
It has been like that for well over a decade.
Maybe it's her accent
Her natural Texan accent isn't used for Chichi, though I agree that she's not very good in the role.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:35 pm

ABED wrote:Are you sure you're not remembering it wrong? His voice was higher in Z, noticeably higher.
If it was, then the problem for me is not only that he's making his voice forcibly higher than his now deeper speaking voice, but that he's using it so often. Most notably in the lighthearted scenes.

Check out this comparison video for example, and you might see what I mean:

https://youtu.be/PpLNPnWK5Uc

"I know education is important. I do!"

The way he says that line just sounds so unatural to me. Maybe it's a combination of the child like persona and his deeper voice these days, but those higher pitched moments are a bit off.
It has been like that for well over a decade.
Admittedly, I haven't paid much attention to the games or other media outside of the show in a while, so I'm just going off of my hazy memory in regards to Yamcha. It is good to know though that Sabat been doing fine with him for a while.
Her natural Texan accent isn't used for Chichi, though I agree that she's not very good in the role.
I meant whatever accent she gives while in character. I can't put my finger on specifically which it is, but that, combined with the acting does bug me.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:06 pm

My thoughts.
Goku. While I'm not a huge fan of Sean's goku he seems to be getting better, though sometimes he sounds too forced.
Krillin. I've never had too much of a problem with Sonny's krillin and I still don't
Tenshinhan and yamcha I haven't heard.
Piccolo. Sabat just keeps getting better with this role and because of that he is now my second favorite piccolo.
Vegeta. While he sounds a lot less gruff I'm still not a big fan of his vegeta.
Cell. I have always loved this role and I still do.

That's all I got, sorry.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:21 am

The way he says that line just sounds so unatural to me. Maybe it's a combination of the child like persona and his deeper voice these days, but those higher pitched moments are a bit off.
I buy that. His wife is yelling at him, and his voice goes high. I don't see the issue.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:27 am

ABED wrote:

I buy that. His wife is yelling at him, and his voice goes high. I don't see the issue.
Well I can understand the context of Goku going higher pitched in the scene, but Schemmel there sounds off to me when he does it. Maybe it's his age catching up with him, but I find that his attempts at being child-like (complete with the higher voice), just don't sound as good as he used to (ex: Broly 1, and the Majin Buu saga).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:54 pm

Well, I disagree, I think he's better than he ever was. Experience has only made him better.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:17 pm

ABED wrote:Well, I disagree, I think he's better than he ever was. Experience has only made him better.
That's fair. If there's one thing I can agree with whole-heartedly, it's that Schemmel's acting in general is better now than it ever was before.

JustSaiyan34

Post by JustSaiyan34 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Pretty much all of them sound significantly better, but with a few exceptions. While I love Schemmel as Goku, he's a tiny bit too deep-voiced at times. Trunks has quite a bit too much rasp, and Recoome sounds way too derpy. Kaio is still near impossible to take serious. Sabat's Vegeta has consistently gotten better over the years, IMO.
A B S O L U T E L Y S U B A R A S H I I

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:45 pm

Why is it a problem that Schemmel's voice is deep at times?

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:56 pm

forgot about Mr Satan. still hate his voice. Its too grating and OTT

oh and hihg school Gohan... NO. too deep.