"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:07 pm

Noah wrote: Precisely, but would they contradict the last manga volume? Such a shame
That's what happens when you want to fit a whole new series in the middle of an already told story. The logic timeline for Super would be after EOZ, but they decided its more cool to retcon things.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:12 pm

Nothing needs to be retconned, and i don't see why Bra is relevant. Super could end long before she's supposed to be born, the U6 arc could take 50 episodes and last one day.
alakazam^ wrote:There's not much leeway for timeskips after the "some time passes" afther the Boo wish, though. The whole "Beers destroying planets" lasts half a day.
That doesn't make sense. Besides, that was a mistranslation, as covered in the "facts checker" thread.
Beerus wasn't awake for half a day, and nothing says those scenes happened in the same day. What's said is that Beerus destroyed 8 and a half planets in half a day. He could've destroyed even more, for all we know.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:15 pm

Araki wrote:Nothing needs to be retconned, and i don't see why Bra is relevant. Super could end long before she's supposed to be born, the U6 arc could take 50 episodes and last one day.
alakazam^ wrote:There's not much leeway for timeskips after the "some time passes" afther the Boo wish, though. The whole "Beers destroying planets" lasts half a day.
That doesn't make sense. Besides, that was a mistranslation, as covered in the "facts checker" thread.
Beerus wasn't awake for half a day, and nothing says those scenes happened in the same day. What's said is that Beerus destroyed 8 and a half planets in half a day. He could've destroyed even more, for all we know.
Exactly, plus it's minimum one year after the Buu wish to allow for the Dragon Balls to be active again, idk why people keep looking over that.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:37 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Exactly, plus it's minimum one year after the Buu wish to allow for the Dragon Balls to be active again, idk why people keep looking over that.
No one is ignoring that it should have been later based on logic, but Dragon Ball isn't exactly known for avoiding plotholes. There have been ones before regarding the time it takes to reactivate them in the manga itself. So if they decided to have them active again before then, I think a lot of us were just going to roll with it since it's happened before.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:40 pm

Noah wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I don't care about EoZ, but I really like the concept of Vegeta and Bra hanging out, doing parent and child stuff. I don't wanna lose that.
For me Bra have way more potential than Pan in my opinion. She's a half Saiyan like Trunks and Gohan not a not a half-half Saiyan like Pan.
Vegeta could even train her and she could actually like to be in battles different of her GT counterpart.
She does have that potential. I think it gets forgotten about often because of how she looks less like Vegeta than even Trunks does, so people just think mini-Bulma when they see her the way some see Goten and think mini-Gokû, even though the personalities are different. For all we know she could have a bunch of his tendencies, only without his general grumpiness.

They other reasons I think it gets forgotten about is that EoZ Pan's Gokûness/martial-arts-love gets shown where we don't learn much about Bra and so it overshadows her; and since Bra had a slightly larger role in GT than EoZ, people tend to reference that when thinking of her character because they have no other references; there isn't a Toriyama!Bra vs Toei!Bra the way there is for Gokû and Kuririn.

*Concludes* Yes, I would like to see Bra train with Vegeta and gain relevance, or at the very least a personality independent of her GT self.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Noah wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I don't care about EoZ, but I really like the concept of Vegeta and Bra hanging out, doing parent and child stuff. I don't wanna lose that.
For me Bra have way more potential than Pan in my opinion. She's a half Saiyan like Trunks and Gohan not a not a half-half Saiyan like Pan.
Vegeta could even train her and she could actually like to be in battles different of her GT counterpart.
Pan has more potential for being the daughter of Gohan and having the fighting spirit of Goku. She can essentially become what Gohan didn't.

I maintain that Bra should be unassumingly strong, but not a fighter either. I'd be happy with her having a support role like Bulma, only a less sassy persona. Something like Winry from FMA. Goodness I despise her GT personality... so much.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:36 pm

irreality wrote:Cami would just be Kami in Japanese, that would sound weird, I think.
Cami and Kami are two different pronunciations. And Camisole would be kyamiso-ru. Cami sounds more like "cam" as in camera, and "me". Kami is like "calm" "me".
Chuquita wrote:*Concludes* Yes, I would like to see Bra train with Vegeta and gain relevance, or at the very least a personality independent of her GT self.
In my own little world where she's called Camisole instead of Bra, she does get trained by Vegeta a bit, but doesn't want to. With her father and uncle (Goku) being gods, her brother and cousins all being Super Saiyans (except Pan) and incredibly strong, and having all these tales of their battles, it's easier for her to simply not wish to become a fighter like the rest of her family because the bar is already set too high. Insurmountable, really. But it doesn't mean she doesn't become a fighter in my story. Only that Vegeta is not the right teacher. Pan is generally the one that wants to live up to her family legacy, if really because Gohan is such a slacker that she feels she needs to be the one to carry on the Son name for her grandpa Goku. And that's another thing for Cami to be jealous of. Her cousin already having this drive to become a great fighter and, despite being good friends with Pan, more like sisters, Cami would always feel inadequate and insecure around her and others because she doesn't feel like she belongs there.

And that could very well explain Bra's persona in GT. There isn't any reason for her to train or get strong. Her dad and uncle are already the strongest people there is, and all the rest of her family are just as capable. So why should she spend her days sweating and bulking up when she could be out making friends, teasing boys and living like a party girl? But I think it's that personality in GT that really turned me off her character. She was just a spoiled kid who never had to do anything for herself, and never did.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:47 pm

Araki wrote:
It's not a mistranslation. You're just assuming it lasts more than half a day while I'm not (necessarily).

It goes like this:

Episode 1: Goku leaves for Kaiou's; "Oh? Planets are being destroyed?"
Episode 2: Narration says that, at around the same time Goku went to train, something was beginning to happen in the other side of the Universe; Goku arrives at Kaiou's; "After 39 years, Beers-sama has awoken!"
Episode 3: Discussion about Beers and God ki; Oracle Fish says Beers' opponent will appear "today", after the 39 years of slumber; Beers and Whis go to Kaiou's; Kaioushin says that after waking up, Beers destroys eight and a half planets;

It might not make sense but it's pretty obvious all of this happens in one/two days. Goku receives the money and goes to Kaiou's (night) -> Beers half destroys a planet -> Vegeta's family goes to the park (Day~Night while Beers destroys) -> Bulma's party.

What wouldn't make sense is them stating "some time passes" and then showing us stuff that happened in that time while, oh so conviniently, showing us Beers' awakening time (why not have those episodes happen first then show us Beers waking up if they're not happening at the same time?). I too think this is a bit much but that's what they presented us with.
Dbzfan94 wrote:Exactly, plus it's minimum one year after the Buu wish to allow for the Dragon Balls to be active again, idk why people keep looking over that.
That one year can fit in the "some time passes", I didn't overlook it (not saying you were referring to me).

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:56 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Exactly, plus it's minimum one year after the Buu wish to allow for the Dragon Balls to be active again, idk why people keep looking over that.
It could be a year and a half... we assume the Pilaf Gang used up one of the wishes to turn accidentally into kids.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:09 am

alakazam^ wrote:It's not a mistranslation. You're just assuming it lasts more than half a day while I'm not (necessarily).
That's the thing, some fansubs translated it to sound like Beerus woke up half a day ago and in that period he destroyed eight and a half planets, when the actual line is ambiguous enough to leave the timing open to interpretation.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:47 am

It's been revealed that Champa is getting a figure released for him. I wonder if we'll see Girl!Whis soon and perhaps get a name leak...or we could just get more ???? placeholders.

Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:42 am

soulnova wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote: Exactly, plus it's minimum one year after the Buu wish to allow for the Dragon Balls to be active again, idk why people keep looking over that.
It could be a year and a half... we assume the Pilaf Gang used up one of the wishes to turn accidentally into kids.
They could've been deaged before the Boo arc, since we never saw him during the entirety of Z.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:48 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:It's been revealed that Champa is getting a figure released for him. I wonder if we'll see Girl!Whis soon and perhaps get a name leak...or we could just get more ???? placeholders.
Plot twist: Her name actually is just a bunch of question marks.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:43 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:It's been revealed that Champa is getting a figure released for him. I wonder if we'll see Girl!Whis soon and perhaps get a name leak...or we could just get more ???? placeholders.

So it's confirmed that Goku will be fighting Champa in his F clothing?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:59 am

That's some look on Gokû's face. XD
(I still really like his F dougi.)

Maybe this means Champa first appears in the F arc, tv series wise?

Edit: Also, re: the new ending song that starts on episode 13

I actually really like the current ending song, but having a new one each arc is nice. I hope the imagery to go with it is something fresh. They can't nostalgia forever, especially since this is "new" material, unlike Kai.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:25 pm

FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:So it's confirmed that Goku will be fighting Champa in his F clothing?
Not really. They're just two figures they happen to be releasing at the same time.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:46 pm

So we're getting a new ending, I expected as much. I hope they don't change the OP though, unless they just change the visuals for each arc.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:47 pm

Captain Space wrote:
"She who must not be named" :)

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:54 pm

irreality wrote:
Captain Space wrote:
"She who must not be named" :)
Every time she tries to say her name something loud drowns it out (Goku drops something, a train/steamboat goes by, random thunder...).
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:09 pm

When are these being released? I love them both! :)