The Only Way Super Will Be Watchable in English

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: The Only Way Super Will Be Watchable in English

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:18 pm

NeoKING wrote:The fact that it's still an assuming title. Just worded a bit nicer and less criticizing. In other words, you're saying it's better I word things as to not rustle people's jimmies and hurt feelings, but I really don't care.
The only assumption that title makes is that Super isn't perfect. And any kind of rational human being would think so.
NeoKING wrote:No, I'd entertain it and think you're serious because like I said in the original post, Super itself is a parody series. Obviously there'd be some levels of trolls there because realistically why would Funimation hire YouTube stars off the strength of YouTube to voice the main cast, but I'd value the discussion as to why that would work and why it should happen.
I was talking about the DBZ/Kai dub.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:38 pm

Doctor. wrote: I was talking about the DBZ/Kai dub.
This is about Super. Stop talking about things that don't matter.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:41 pm

NeoKING wrote:This is about Super. Stop talking about things that don't matter.
Why doesn't it matter? What's the difference between wanting Kai to have a gag dub and wanting Super to have a gag dub? Absolutely none. My point is that if I made the exact same thread but talked about Kai, you'd probably think I was intentionally trolling and/or being confrontational. Which is what you came across as.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:52 pm

Doctor. wrote:
NeoKING wrote:This is about Super. Stop talking about things that don't matter.
Why doesn't it matter? What's the difference between wanting Kai to have a gag dub and wanting Super to have a gag dub? Absolutely none. My point is that if I made the exact same thread but talked about Kai, you'd probably think I was intentionally trolling and/or being confrontational. Which is what you came across as.
The difference is neither Z nor Kai were parodies of themselves. The Boo saga kinda was, but not to the extent of being deserving of a gag dub. Super on the other hand is filled with clowns.

Super is what happens when some Korean animation company bootlegs Battle of Gods into another rip off series, but then Toei catches them and fires a cease-and-desists... but then some Toei big shot goes, "You know what? I kinda... I kinda like this, lets use this."
Last edited by NeoKING on Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:54 pm

You haven't made any effort explaining why. Especially when Super is just Battle of Gods 2.0, which, judging from your avatar (though I apologize the assumption if I'm wrong), you seem to like.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:57 pm

Doctor. wrote:You haven't made any effort explaining why. Especially when Super is just Battle of Gods 2.0, which, judging from your avatar (though I apologize the assumption if I'm wrong), you seem to like.
Battle of Gods 2.0 :shock:

2.0 is supposed to mean it's better! An adaption expansion a better series does not make.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:59 pm

NeoKING wrote:
Doctor. wrote:You haven't made any effort explaining why. Especially when Super is just Battle of Gods 2.0, which, judging from your avatar (though I apologize the assumption if I'm wrong), you seem to like.
Battle of Gods 2.0 :shock:

2.0 is supposed to mean it's better! An adaption expansion a better series does not make.
Yes, I'm saying Super is better than Battle of Gods. What seems to be the problem here?

VintageSaiyan
Temporarily Banned

Post by VintageSaiyan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:18 pm

We think you're absolutely wrong and hence this thread, who's title is a pretty clever way of saying that imo. I'm not sure what seems to be the problem here? Anybody reading the title should be able to infer that the poster thinks Super is a mediocre piece of..you know.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:46 pm

There is something very absolutist about the way certain people who don't like Super are expressing their opinions, especially with the title of the thread. It is like: *everything* about Super is bad, there is nothing salvageable, it needs to be expressed in as crass a way as possible, and people who are enjoying it should be convinced that it is bad. There is something of a "partypooper" spirit to it, I guess. If you don't like it, fine, make reasonable critiques about the things you don't like, and we can have a conversation. But don't try to convince others to stop being happy, you know?

But threads like this seem to be saying: not only don't we like it, we want the international release to be a mockery because we want *nobody* to enjoy it because we didn't. Even though a lot of people are having great fun with it.

Conversely, I think in general the people who have been enjoying Super are able to reasonably discuss the flaws (E.g. animation in certain episodes, pacing in certain episodes, etc) without saying everything is beyond critique it is so good. That is the difference in approaches that is frustrating to people.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:27 pm

irreality wrote:There is something very absolutist about the way certain people who don't like Super are expressing their opinions, especially with the title of the thread. It is like: *everything* about Super is bad, there is nothing salvageable, it needs to be expressed in as crass a way as possible, and people who are enjoying it should be convinced that it is bad. There is something of a "partypooper" spirit to it, I guess. If you don't like it, fine, make reasonable critiques about the things you don't like, and we can have a conversation. But don't try to convince others to stop being happy, you know?

But threads like this seem to be saying: not only don't we like it, we want the international release to be a mockery because we want *nobody* to enjoy it because we didn't. Even though a lot of people are having great fun with it.

Conversely, I think in general the people who have been enjoying Super are able to reasonably discuss the flaws (E.g. animation in certain episodes, pacing in certain episodes, etc) without saying everything is beyond critique it is so good. That is the difference in approaches that is frustrating to people.
Fine. Mods, let's delete this thread. Apologies for disrespecting Super.

derpgoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by derpgoku » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:22 pm

why delete this thread, as long as people don't start dissrepecting eachother ,and can say theyir opinion without other saying they are wrong and we are right because we say soo,on a second though ,yea they probably should lock it ,why?,because when everyone says super doesn't need a gag dub you guys are jumping at them and saying how wrong they are and how "bad" is super is ,

VintageSaiyan
Temporarily Banned

Post by VintageSaiyan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:29 pm

NeoKING wrote:
irreality wrote:There is something very absolutist about the way certain people who don't like Super are expressing their opinions, especially with the title of the thread. It is like: *everything* about Super is bad, there is nothing salvageable, it needs to be expressed in as crass a way as possible, and people who are enjoying it should be convinced that it is bad. There is something of a "partypooper" spirit to it, I guess. If you don't like it, fine, make reasonable critiques about the things you don't like, and we can have a conversation. But don't try to convince others to stop being happy, you know?

While we're at it, how about every other thread that doesn't like Super. What about if we think that the current version of Super airing right now is a mockery? That's my opinion and I'm expressing it in this thread. What you, irrealty, deem salvageable is not the same opinion I hold. I deem absolutely none of it to be salvageable so far and I'm not going to water down my opinion because people like you take it to heart for some reason. There's a reasonable amount of frustration with Super all around the Dragonball fanverse and whether it's the minority (it isn't) or the majority, these threads are going to pop up.

He doesn't need to explain why because those of us who understand don't need the dead horse summary of terrible art, animation, lack of characterization, plot, continuity issues, pacing, concepts, etc. If you smell garbage you don't necessarily need to explain to your friends why you hate the smell each time, especially if they recognize it as well. You are sure welcome to ask, but I think you guys are taking it a bit too personally and using that as an excuse to come here and pick fights.

If we said there are major positives about Super that we enjoy we'd be lying. You don't want us venting in your pro-Super threads so we don't. (I've been guilty of this and have backed off) This was a thread with a clever title which really was inoffensive, and for some reason people are raising their pitchforks and crying about their feelings, attacking any dissenting view and looking for any technicality. Neoking was obviously voicing his frustration and instead of saying "wow this thing is a steaming pile of ball gargling shit" he made a light joke about it. Calm down bro.
Last edited by VintageSaiyan on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

derpgoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by derpgoku » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:32 pm

VintageSaiyan wrote:
NeoKING wrote:

While we're at it, how about every other thread that doesn't like Super. What about if we think that the current version of Super airing right now is a mockery? That's my opinion and I'm expressing it in this thread. What you, irrealty, deem salvageable is not the same opinion I hold. I deem absolutely none of it to be salvageable so far and I'm not going to water down my opinion because people like you take it to heart for some reason. There's a reasonable amount of frustration with Super all around the Dragonball fanverse and whether it's the minority (it isn't) or the majority, which means these threads are going to pop up.

This was a thread with a clever title which really was inoffensive, and for some reason people are raising their pitchforks and crying about their feelings, attacking any dissenting view. Neoking was obviously voicing his frustration and instead of saying "wow this thing is a steaming pile of ball gargling shit" he made a light joke about it. Calm down bro.
the problem is you guys are jumping at everyone who said they didn't want a gag dub ,and saying to them that db super is shit and all other words without respecting they're opinion

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:34 pm

So first this was a thread where apparently people couldn't see any discussion generated, now when I want it deleted it's an issue? No. If this thread can warrant no further discussion, it deserves to be deleted.

VintageSaiyan
Temporarily Banned

Post by VintageSaiyan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:39 pm

derpgoku wrote: the problem is you guys are jumping at everyone who said they didn't want a gag dub ,and saying to them that db super is shit and all other words without respecting they're opinion
It's because most people here, for some reason or another, didn't get the joke. It's a little raw, but straight to the point and expresses how he feels. Then all of a sudden people are telling him "just because he doesn't like it blah blah blah let's pick a fight". Super is polarizing, I hope you guys know this. Neoking is frustrated with the series. There was no reason to come in here and play lawyer for Super, people were jumping at him. Would you rather he come in other threads that are pro-Super and say the same thing? Probably not and I'd agree with you.

For what it's worth, the increasing polarization that Super has brought is a great conversation that is worth having.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:11 pm

Further proof Super knows it's a joke: Bulma asking if the SSJG transformation scene is done yet. If that's not breaking the 4th wall, along with Kriilin being Toei!Krillin..

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:31 am

NeoKING wrote:Further proof Super knows it's a joke: Bulma asking if the SSJG transformation scene is done yet. If that's not breaking the 4th wall, along with Kriilin being Toei!Krillin..
Dragon Ball breaks the fourth wall quite often. Especially in the manga. And I really wouldn't consider Bulma asking if the SSJG transformation is done and Krillin acting like Toei!Krillin as instances of breaking the fourth wall. It's more lampshade hanging than anything.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:04 am

The only real "problem" I see is with people who can't appropriately convey the humor they're claiming to have (or are back-peddling and claiming to have been making jokes when they were just being rude), and then go on and on with incredibly disrespectful and toxic tones.

If you want to have a conversation, have it. If you don't, knock it off and find another playground, please.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

derpgoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by derpgoku » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:12 pm

VintageSaiyan wrote:
derpgoku wrote: the problem is you guys are jumping at everyone who said they didn't want a gag dub ,and saying to them that db super is shit and all other words without respecting they're opinion
It's because most people here, for some reason or another, didn't get the joke. It's a little raw, but straight to the point and expresses how he feels. Then all of a sudden people are telling him "just because he doesn't like it blah blah blah let's pick a fight". Super is polarizing, I hope you guys know this. Neoking is frustrated with the series. There was no reason to come in here and play lawyer for Super, people were jumping at him. Would you rather he come in other threads that are pro-Super and say the same thing? Probably not and I'd agree with you.

For what it's worth, the increasing polarization that Super has brought is a great conversation that is worth having.
soo he was serious and joking at the same time , ok that doesn't make any sens at alll

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:25 pm

I know about the only way Super will be watchable in english:
With official subtitles by Daimao Simmons! 8)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88