DBZ Cosplays & Clothing, where do you stand?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sayo-chan
Regular

DBZ Cosplays & Clothing, where do you stand?

Post by Sayo-chan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:04 pm

Which Dragon Ball look/cosplay do you think you can pull off best? For me I'd have to say #17 or Videl, but probably Videl. I actually have most of the clothes to a #17 outfit I put together years ago, just minus the jeans. I haven't worn jeans in about eight years and don't plan on it. At the time of putting it together, my hair was about the same length as his, maybe a tad bit longer. I suppose the two biggest off factors would be my forehead not being particularly five finger+ length and having cyan colored eyes as opposed to blue. Concerning Videl, I'm referring to how she looked before she got that ugly haircut based off an offhanded comment from Gohan. I could probably put the same outfit together by going through clothes I don't wear anymore, minus the high school badge/shoes. If I were taller or bulked up, I guess I could probably also pull off Super 17 too awhile I'm at it, but he's always come off to me as very... dirty, like he doesn't bathe.

As far as everyday clothing goes, which for me includes various Chinese/martial arts related stuff, I would say all my tai chi/wushu pants are pretty much the same as the fusion pants. All I'm really missing is the vest, but that's not really something I see myself wearing in public. Something I noticed years ago was how we occasionally see characters wearing a sort of zoot pants. I know they came back into style during the 80s in America, parts of Western Eruope and Japan, but I didn't think it would extend into Dragon Ball. We see Vegeta wearing them here:
This my favorite type of slacks, so I have a bunch of them.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Re: DBZ Cosplays & Clothing, where do you stand?

Post by DragonBallLove » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:23 pm

We have done Goku with turban and young Chichi; I (Karuri) have done also my DBO outfit :)

http://worldcosplay.net/member/34074

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:41 pm

I could be recoome if I dyed my hair orange/red.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:44 pm

Piccolo. My *ahem* complexion wouldn't allow me to faithfully replicate the look of the fairer skinned cast, which makes me the majority. I suppose I could do Uub too but only as an adult since I'm 6'3 and a half.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:45 pm

If I had a year to bulk up some more and cut fat, and grow out my hair I could do a Majuub (Oob).
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:45 pm

I could pull off a mean Senbei Norimaki.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:57 pm

soppa saia people wrote:I could be recoome if I dyed my hair orange/red.
You can always get a wig.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:04 pm

I wake up with Goku hair every morning.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:23 pm

I am tall (1.95m) so I could be Burter if I had blue skin.

I do have a Goku t-shirt (Kame/Kaio kanji) and Android 17's t-shirt, but it's not for cosplay, I just use them as regular t-shirts.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:55 pm

DragonBallLove wrote:
soppa saia people wrote:I could be recoome if I dyed my hair orange/red.
You can always get a wig.
Naw my hair is exactly like recoomes, it's just brown.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:57 pm

I could do a pretty good Tenshinhan If I shaved my head and grew a third eye.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:01 pm

Sayo-chan wrote:Something I noticed years ago was how we occasionally see characters wearing a sort of zoot pants. I know they came back into style during the 80s in America, parts of Western Eruope and Japan, but I didn't think it would extend into Dragon Ball. We see Vegeta wearing them here:
They're not "zoot pants", so much as ordinary dress slacks, which are designed to sit at the natural waist (slightly above the navel). Vegeta's aren't even particularly high-waisted, although I don't know that his glutes or his thigh muscles are really big enough to warrant the double pleats.

The low-waisted "jeans" look for dressier trousers has been in fashion for a number of years and has made this style less common, but they've never gone away completely. The trousers of a "zoot suit", in contrast, would go up even higher and also be extremely baggy around the legs, since the whole point of that style was extreme exaggeration.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:40 pm

I cosplay Mr. Satan. Funny enough with the Tien comment, as I took a picture with a Tien cosplayer last weekend.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:07 am

I could probably be good Yamcha. I have strong body build, but I am not that tall, otherwise, if I shaved my head, I would be a good Nappa :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:19 am

DragonBallLove wrote:We have done Goku with turban and young Chichi; I (Karuri) have done also my DBO outfit :)

http://worldcosplay.net/member/34074
Where did you get those red round mouth shoes? I typically only see them in black.
SaiyaJedi wrote:
Sayo-chan wrote:Something I noticed years ago was how we occasionally see characters wearing a sort of zoot pants. I know they came back into style during the 80s in America, parts of Western Eruope and Japan, but I didn't think it would extend into Dragon Ball. We see Vegeta wearing them here:
They're not "zoot pants", so much as ordinary dress slacks, which are designed to sit at the natural waist (slightly above the navel). Vegeta's aren't even particularly high-waisted, although I don't know that his glutes or his thigh muscles are really big enough to warrant the double pleats.

The low-waisted "jeans" look for dressier trousers has been in fashion for a number of years and has made this style less common, but they've never gone away completely. The trousers of a "zoot suit", in contrast, would go up even higher and also be extremely baggy around the legs, since the whole point of that style was extreme exaggeration.
I wouldn't exactly say ordinary, at least concerning today's standards, but you're right that they're not actual zoot pants. I said a "sort of zoot pants" because they share characteristics seen with the reinvented zoot look prominent in that time period, not necessarily that they are zoot pants (mainly because there really isn't an all encompassing name for what I'm talking about). I suppose I should've been a bit more careful or specific with my phrasing. In the anime, the pants don't exhibit any of the attributes they do here (and as such I would refer to those in specific as ordinary), but here we see dropped belt loops resulting in the "paper bag waist", which is something not really seen with ordinary dress slacks anymore, let alone with pleats. However, today's norm is not what yesterday's norm was. Pleated pants with dropped belt loops used to be fairly common (and mocked if on jeans), but I think the influence here is clear, which is what I was touching on.

Sometimes the bottoms were tapered (which is how mine are as well), so not all zoot styled, or influenced, pants have extra room at the hem like Kuwabara's. I think it's important to note that every incarnation, unless entirely copied (as with Yu Yu Hakusho), is subject to a variety of changes. Viktor and Rolf for example in 2010 created a sort of neo-zoot pants. In a way, this is the sort of reimaging I'm referring to that took place in the 80s and 90s, with the main differences here being that the 2010 style didn't stick nearly as long or have much of a variance. More than anything, high-waisted pants were simply the standard back in the 40s, whereas every decade onward it became less and less. We don't exactly see many people with pants like Humphrey Bogart anymore. Even then, a lot of reproduction zoot suits have lower waists and higher belt loops, which to my knowledge also started in the 80s. Regardless, the 80s/90s had a lot of experimental clothing that borrowed these attributes and applied them in a variety of different ways, which can also be seen on Botan to compare and contrast with Kuwabara's above.

We see this sort style worn by Akane and Ukyo in Ranma 1/2 as well, but with varying waist and belt loop heights. Most notably we can see the OVA exaggerates the manga's style here, which is far more reminiscent of the original style. In Sailor Moon we also see a variance of this on both Mokoto and Rei. What Mamoru's wearing in the first image is actually fairly similar to what's considered to be normal now and far more common then, but not all that similar to Vegeta's beyond the pleats. This is mainly because the tab of your average pair of slacks shouldn't have any sort of concave shaping to it when hugged by a belt. We can see this is a distinguishing factor between Vegeta and Krillin's pants here:
However, in the later panels, the belt loops do seem to magically touch the top of the tab, somewhat (but not entirely) eliminating the concave look:
It could just be the perspective though.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.