Weird misconceptions you used to have

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Weird misconceptions you used to have

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:23 pm

I'm not talking about stuff that the various dubs explicitly got wrong (although the dubs can certainly contribute to these), but rather weird things you personally thought at any time watching the series. Here are a list of some I can remember:

* This was a weird one. Before I even started really watching the show, I caught a glimpse of a brief scene in the episode where Vegeta was fighting Zarbon. Vegeta said something about "underestimating the power of a Saiyan" but I misheard it as "Zion", for some reason.
* Before I knew anything about Japanese, I thought "Kame" and "Kami" were the same word, and Kame House was named after Kami.
* I was always confused as to what time period the series took place in - was it in the past because their were dinosaurs? Or in the future because there was all of this advanced technology? I never considered that it was meant to be a completely made-up fantasy world with no connection to reality until later.
* I took Vegeta at his word when he said that he was the strongest in the universe. So at first I was confused why everyone was so worried about Freeza, because there's no way this guy can be stronger than Vegeta, right?
* Later, when it was made clear that Freeza was stronger, I thought he couldn't be that much stronger... maybe around 50,000.
* Another weird one. When Krillin and Gohan use solar flare to escape from Dodoria, Krillin said something about "using Tien's technique". DBZ was broadcasted here before the original Dragonball, and I didn't remember who Tien was, also I think I misheard Krillin and it sounded like he said a girl's name, so for some reason I thought that technique belonged to a female fighter on Earth we had never seen.
* This one is pretty common, but I used to think Freeza was a woman.
* I also used to think that Captain Ginyu and Freeza were from the same species. This was only reinforced when Freeza transformed into his second form. I figured Ginyu was the second strongest after Freeza in the same species.
* I misheard Trunks' name as "Trumps" a lot before I figured out what it really was.
Last edited by Polyphase Avatron on Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Weird misconceptions you used to have

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:33 pm

I used to think Zarbon was a very muscular woman. No, really.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:34 pm

When i was around 6 when i first watch DBZ i used to think Bulma and Goku are couples and then later on i also think Vegeta and Goku are brothers.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:41 pm

I thought Gohan was Goku's father (this before I even got into the series). I don't know how or why, don't blame me. I think my poor English skills at the time combined with Shin Budokai's wonky time-travel shenanigans gave me that perception somehow.

Absolute Ice
Beyond Newbie

Post by Absolute Ice » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:45 pm

Following what Doctor said, I thought Brol... That stupid thing was Vegeta's father, that was a little more than ten years ago.
ジャネンバ ミラ

For a reality whose Janemba and Mira join the canon world and receive a proper personality.
The Greatest Villains Ever!

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:55 pm

I thought Roshi was Goku's grandfather for some reason. And in GT, I thought Goku had been reborn but still remembered his past life.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:04 pm

I used to think Freeza was a woman.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:13 pm

Absolute Ice wrote:Following what Doctor said, I thought Brol... That stupid thing was Vegeta's father, that was a little more than ten years ago.
You're reminding me of someone else.

I used to think Yamcha was Buu Arc Gohan back in 2003 or so, because at the time all I had was Movie 12 and 13 and Budokai 1 and since Yamcha was one of the last characters you unlock and he had a really smilar hairstyle, I tought they were the same person.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

DBZMerciter2005
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZMerciter2005 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:14 pm

- I swore that future Trunks called his androids 19 (black haired male) and 20 (blonde female) and therefore he was correct about the android's numbers but he somehow altered the past and got the present 19 ("fat clown") and 20 (old fart). My husband and I argued over this one for a while until I couldn't find anything to back up my reasoning.

- I thought Kid Buu was the strongest Buu because he was the last Buu. I thought that absorbing others only made him weaker because he had to spend energy to convert their energy into something he could use. He was also tiny so I assumed his ki was more dense and therefore made him stronger. I am well aware of the situation now but it's still hard to think that Kid Buu isn't stronger because I assumed he was for roughly ten years. (No power level debates, please. I don't want to start one.)

- I thought Gogeta was named Gozita due to a transliterated wallpaper I found online.

- I thought DB (not Z) was a lot shorter than it really is.

- As many others thought: I thought Freeza was a woman. It fit for some reason.

- I thought SSJ5 was real because the internet back in the early '00s was so credible.

- I thought the manga went over why Gohan turned SSJ. I was sorely disappointed with what actually happened.
Imp. Cell: "Do you think you're being CUTE?"
SSJ Vegeta: "Bitch, I'm adorable."
~ TFS DBZA Episode 50

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:35 pm

I thought Nappa lasted a lot longer then he did, when I first watched the saiyan arc my jaw drop when he died.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:35 pm

Doctor. wrote:I thought Gohan was Goku's father (this before I even got into the series). I don't know how or why, don't blame me. I think my poor English skills at the time combined with Shin Budokai's wonky time-travel shenanigans gave me that perception somehow.
Could Grandpa Gohan also have contributed to that misunderstanding?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:44 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I thought Gohan was Goku's father (this before I even got into the series). I don't know how or why, don't blame me. I think my poor English skills at the time combined with Shin Budokai's wonky time-travel shenanigans gave me that perception somehow.
Could Grandpa Gohan also have contributed to that misunderstanding?
Probably, not sure if had heard about him prior to getting into the series. If he was mentioned in Shin Budokai then perhaps it's because of him.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:51 pm

DBZMerciter2005 wrote:- I swore that future Trunks called his androids 19 (black haired male) and 20 (blonde female) and therefore he was correct about the android's numbers but he somehow altered the past and got the present 19 ("fat clown") and 20 (old fart). My husband and I argued over this one for a while until I couldn't find anything to back up my reasoning..
In his first appearance in the manga, Trunks says that the Androids that attacked are 19 and 20, but then it was changed to 17 and 18.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:15 pm

When I was a kid, I was addicted to the PS2 games before getting into the series for real ( I had had only watched the Saiyan and Freeza arcs). I only knew very few English words and skipped most of the cutscenes. And so I had, well, some really dumb assumptions:

- Kid Trunks and Future Trunks were the same person, I managed to understand that he was Vegeta's son, but had no idea of who in the world could his mother be, so, I...seriously assumed that Vegeta laid an egg. :D
- Cooler was Freeza's father.
- Goten was Gohan's son. Then heard Pan say "uncle Goten" and call Goku "Grandpa". That was confusing.
- Videl was a grown-up version of Pan who was weaker for some reason.
-Tullece = Bardock.
- Broly was of royal heritage.
- I misheard "Spirit Bomb" as "Sponge Bob"...somehow.
- SSJ3 was a fusion between Goku and Piccolo.
- Super Boo w/ Gohan absorbed was just Gohan after he "joined the dark side".

....etc
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:17 pm

-Turles was Goku's 2nd brother alongside Raditz. (I played BT1 before seeing Tree of Might)
-GT Goku was actually just Goten.
-Pikkon was a Namek. Goku saying he reminded him of Piccolo didn't help much either.
-ASSJ/Grade 2 and USSJ/Grade 3 were new forms altogether and not just powered up SSJ1.
-Vegetto was related to Goku and/or Vegeta somehow idk lol
-Bulma ad Goku were together and Gohan was their son
-Kid trunks was a younger Future Trunks. No alternate timeline or anything.
-Cooler was just Freeza's ultimate 5th form

That's all i can remember from my youth lol

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:33 pm

I thought Son Goku was Goku's son. I bought an action figure of EoZ Goku that was labeled as such. Since it didn't have the traditional orange clothing, I just... yeah...

I thought "Freeza" was Frieza's brother. I watched the Janemba movie when the Namek saga was just airing in the US. I never saw Frieza's final form before, so I assumed that was Frieza's brother, who I had heard about by the guy who sold the bootleg VHS tapes of DBZ subbed.

I thought Android 18 was the SSJ form of Android 17. Again, I knew about "him" way before the Cell saga aired. When I saw the preview commercials, it just made sense to me at the time. lol.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:01 pm

-Goku had a rematch with Raditz and beat him. Guess I was too much of a Goku fanboy as a kid to admit that. Funny enough in Attack of the Saiyans, Goku does just that.
-Goku is the legendary saiyan and not Broly....more Gokupotence XD
-In Budokai 2 if you turned the control stick fast enough you could send big death ball attacks right back at your opponent if you were in that mini game.
-Kid Boo is strongest there is
-Freeza was a girl. Fuck you early dub
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:05 pm

I confused Broly with Baby. I just knew there was a villain who somehow was a Baby. I in general did not know that much about movies and GT because I only knew the manga and normal anime at first. I did not even really know about GT for real and was totally down when the series ended with vol. 42. The more glad I am today.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:14 pm

"Super Saiyan" was the yellow hair and aura, "Kaioken" was the red aura, so logically I assumed that the "white aura" when regular characters like Krillin powerup must have been "Saiyan."

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:16 pm

I thought Broly was Goku and Raditz's brother.

I also thought that Super Buu(Gohan absorbed) was a reborn Buu who was a good guy. I think I might have seen parts of the series out of order or something.