FUNI Super dub - What are your wishes?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

FUNI Super dub - What are your wishes?

Post by coola » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:49 pm

I understand it will be another year at least before Super will get English dub, but, what are your current wishes/expectations for it?:
- Slim chance, but, recast Schemmel Kaio, or at least, tone down his silliness a little bit.
- I hope they won't rush it, if there has to be another seperate TV dub, i hope there will be no "Dude, my car" mistakes
- Beside Schemmel Kaio, i really like Kai/BOG/F dub, and i hope all VA gonna return :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Re: FUNI Super dub - What are your wishes?

Post by Daisetsu » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:55 pm

Considering that Kai is currently on Toonami, I highly doubt that well get another "dude, my truck!" incident. I also don't see Kaio being recast since Schemmel has being voicing for so long (Bulma and young Gohan aside...).

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:03 pm

I would love to see Tiffany Vollmer return as Bulma more than anything! Other than that I'll be happy. :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Rockman X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rockman X » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:25 pm

Change the Freeza Voice.. just anyone but chris!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:28 pm

Be interesting to see what narrator they go with. Herbert tonned down from BoG or Doc Morgan (I believe his name is) from Kai. Other than that I'd expect everyone as is from BoG/"F".

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:29 pm

Rockman X wrote:Change the Freeza Voice.. just anyone but chris!
Dare I even ask why you feel this way?
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:55 pm

Just keep the quality of the dub from BOG and I'm good.

Rockman X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rockman X » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:09 pm

Ajay wrote:Dare I even ask why you feel this way?
Cus Chris's freeza sounds whiny,pretentious&posh as opposed to the intimidating,stoic galactic warlord i see freeza as TFS freeza nails that part whereas Chris's freeza somehow manages to sound less intimidating than Yamcha.

this clip summarizes how i view chris's freeza as :-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa54A3DmCmE&t=5m53s

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:17 pm

Rockman X wrote:
Cus Chris's freeza sounds whiny,pretentious&posh as opposed to the intimidating,stoic galactic warlord i see freeza as TFS freeza nails that part whereas Chris's freeza somehow manages to sound less intimidating than Yamcha.

How much of Kai did you watch to come to that conclusion? Because I don't think you may have watched enough of the FUNi dub of Kai, watched the original JPN dub or read the manga because Freeza is also whiny, pretentious and has a quite sophisticated in his manner of talking. Chris Ayres's Freeza is an incredibly faithful and extremely well done interpretation of the character from the manga.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:29 pm

My wishes for a FUNimation Super dub....honestly?

Just keep doing what they've been doing as of Kai.

That really is it. For the Kai dub, I had a huge laundry list of things that I wanted them to do differently from what they had been doing, but nowadays, their Dragon Ball dubs are up to par with what I'd expect. The acting is good, the casting is good, and the writing is good (minus a small hiccup here and there, but nothing bad enough to be distracting). So...keep it up, I guess. That's all! :)
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:41 pm

Since you asked, I hope it doesn't exist. I hope the only English version of Dragon Ball Super is from Toei hiring Ocean/Blue Water to dub the show. :twisted:

"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:51 pm

Rockman X wrote:

Following what Lord Beerus has said, what you have described is how Freeza was meant to be portrayed. He is a cocky spoiled child, and when things don't go well he throws his toys out his pram. And the "posh" voice he has is what makes him so unique, because who would think an evil space emperor who callously murders people on a daily basis would be so polite sounding, it is typical Toriyama. And Chris is far from not intimidating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAGOsfhba9Y

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:59 pm

It isn't really a request for the dub, but I think it would be funny if FUNi included the broadcast version of episode 5 with both language options as a bonus feature.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

garfield15
Beyond Newbie

Post by garfield15 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:17 pm

Whatever they've been doing with Kai and the new movies, just keep doing that

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:10 pm

Bring back Dale Kelly!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:26 pm

I hope they give it the GT treatment in the sense of skipping the BoG arc when it airs on Toonami. As an alternative, they can air Battle of Gods one Saturday before the premiere of the series (or right before it airs) to coincide with it. Only reason I don't say skip the F arc too is because that might actually contain important storylines not shown in the crappy F movie, such as Goku asking Whis to train him, Vegeta becoming a SSJG, Goku gaining access to SSGSS for the first time, Frieza training, Champa, etc. Of course, I could be wrong. If so, skip that too.

Besides that, I think all the dub voices are much better than the sub ones, so there's nothing I wish for in that department. Well... maybe Whis could have a slightly more flamboyant voice, but eh.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:54 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Bring back Dale Kelly!
For what role in particular?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:59 pm

For the most part, I'd want them to just keep on doing what they've been doing ever since Kai. Do a good dub that keeps everything as accurate as it needs to be, keep getting the same actors back for their parts, and cast appropriately for the new characters as they show up.

And speaking on the cast, I'm also curious what they'll do for a narrator. If FUNi is still operating under the belief that each series needs to have it's own narrator (has this ever been cited anywhere by the way, or is it just a seemingly accurate assumption?), then I dunno who they'll get. R. Bruce Elliot might be an interesting choice, though I've yet to hear him narrate something that wasn't a completely insane comedy (ala Space Dandy and Sgt. Frog). Champa and his attendant are a little too hard for me to guess anything on, since we still don't really know a whole lot of what they'll be like. I'm also thinking that, unlike BOG/F, we might see the return of Clinkenbeard for 18, unless Meredith McCoy is aiming to make a more permanent comeback to voice acting. I'd guess the same of Brad Jackson's Oolong, but I'm not sure if the Kai actor for Oolong is even still in Texas or not.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:34 pm

Super Saiyan Prime beat me to it....oh well.

1. Get a new narrator that is not boring or annoying.
2. PLEASE get better singers for their intros
3. a new Frieza that sounds similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpADfKolHJY so i kind of agree with Rockman X
4. Maybe change the music? that won't happen though.
5. a new King Kai that sounds similar to BG King Kai with a good performance.
6. most of the cast should either improve or be replaced.
7. scripts can be more natural.
8. Advertise it a lot
9. give the license to another company if they fail to meet any of the above :p
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:57 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:And speaking on the cast, I'm also curious what they'll do for a narrator. If FUNi is still operating under the belief that each series needs to have it's own narrator (has this ever been cited anywhere by the way, or is it just a seemingly accurate assumption?), then I dunno who they'll get.
Hmmm....you know, I never thought about it that way until you pointed it out, but yes, I guess they do have a narrator assigned to every new series. FUNimation even said that they treat DBZ and Kai as two different properties with their own creative teams, and since they considered BoG to be a DBZ movie, they brought in Kyle Hebert as the narrator.

So yeah, I don't know who they'll get as the narrator. I will say this, though--if they wanted to capture the DBZ crowd and go with Kyle Hebert, I'd...potentially...be OK with that. I didn't like the "Dale Kelly style" of narration that they asked Hebert to imitate when he took over, but I've heard Hebert in other stuff where he has done narration, and he sounded significantly better when he didn't have to worry about imitating Dale Kelly. Heck, even in BoG, his brief narration didn't have quite as strong a "Dale Kelly vibe" (for lack of a better term). So, I'm curious to see what they'll do with the narrator, but based on what I've heard Hebert do elsewhere, I think he could potentially do the job justice if he wasn't instructed to put on as much of a Dale Kelly impression as he was in the past.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."