Anybody already stopped watching Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Anybody already stopped watching Super?

Post by Cipher » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:54 pm

sangofe wrote:I'm watching it with my friend who has not seen Battle of Gods. And he really likes it! So does my cousin in France who knows nothing about Battle of Gods either...
These will be the reactions I'll be most interested to see in the future; those who continue on from Z or Kai straight into Super, without seeing the films.

The lack of explanation on the Pilaf gang is still ludicrously inexcusable for exactly that reason, but whatever.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:13 am

I haven't watched an entire episode yet, I'll probably start watching it completely once the new stuff starts.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:19 am

Same here, haven't even started watching it :( . I am a big DB fan, been one for so long that I can't even properly remember what is was like not to be a DB fan, and yet I can't seem to get into these new recent additions to the franchise. To be honest, my enthusiasm waned pretty much around the time we started getting more info about BoG movie. Something about it just didn't seem to excite me as much as I'd hoped. Ironically, what was one of the things that didn't impress me at all when we started finding out more about the movie, Beerus , ended up being my favorite thing about the movie (I loved the final fight too ). I haven't watched F yet, but from what I've read about it and the little I have seen isn't really helping in creating interest :(

Now Super, I was looking forward to it the most until it the rehash thing was revealed. I know the studios track record with series animation isn't the best, but I can deal with a lower animation quality (to a certain point) as long as something about the story hooks me. And Super just doesn't have even that at the moment. So it's hard for me to even start. Now granted, the screenshots , gifs and the overall opinion about it I've seen have some influence too :(

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:50 am

I wasn't too interested, either, but after I started watching it, I really liked it.

I don't get all this dislike for Super. People expect the breakneck pace and seriousness of Kai/Z, but I'm glad that's not here. That's what made Z special. This kind of stuff is a little like Toriyama's real style, anyway. I just hope it does get a little serious when it's supposed to.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:10 am

Why should i watch it?

The story is rehashed from BOG and worse than BOG.
The animation is terrible.
The sound effects are terrible, can't believe we lost the iconic DBZ sounds forever.
The fights are terribly animated and drawn, they look lifeless, stiff and boring as shit.
The fight choregraphy is worse than GT and more childish.
The soundtrack is completely unmemorable.
Plotholes.

I don't watch shit.

In fact, i completely lost interest for the entire franchise.
I'm done with Dragon Ball.

Maybe one day if Toei loses the rights and we get a decent anime remake like HxH 2011, i will reconsider.
It's pretty sad that DB Kai looks better than Super. And it's an HD remaster.

Even GT looks better than Super at this point. My god.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:35 am

Flame Dragon wrote:
I don't watch shit.

Maybe one day if Toei loses the rights and we get a decent anime remake like HxH 2011, i will reconsider.

Did you watch episode 11?

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:45 am

Flame Dragon wrote:Why should i watch it?

The story is rehashed from BOG and worse than BOG.
The animation is terrible.
The sound effects are terrible, can't believe we lost the iconic DBZ sounds forever.
The fights are terribly animated and drawn, they look lifeless, stiff and boring as shit.
The fight choregraphy is worse than GT and more childish.
The soundtrack is completely unmemorable.
Plotholes.

I don't watch shit.

If you're done then are you not coming back here?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:16 am

SylentEcho wrote:I wasn't too interested, either, but after I started watching it, I really liked it.

I don't get all this dislike for Super. People expect the breakneck pace and seriousness of Kai/Z, but I'm glad that's not here. That's what made Z special. This kind of stuff is a little like Toriyama's real style, anyway. I just hope it does get a little serious when it's supposed to.
Oh it will. Episode 11 was pretty serious. Freeza arc probably will be too. The majority of BoG was a fun goofy (in a good way) DB adventure, so it makes sense Super will start off this way too, BoG didn't get serious until the end and looks like the same for Super.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:01 am

I dropped Super at around episode 5 (at least for the BOG arc). I don't see the point in watching it. It's an uglier and more drawn out version of something that's already pretty decent. It's the same reason I don't watch Sailor Moon Crystal when the manga is easily accessible.

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:34 pm

I think one thing to keep in mind is the fact that Super is the first time the overwhelming majority of American fans haven't been able to just binge watch the whole thing all in one go. Cartoon Network aired most of the series five days a week; we Americans just aren't used to waiting a full week in between episodes.

If the Freeza battle had debuted once a week in the U.S. fans would have left the show for many of the same reasons they're leaving Super for.
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:31 pm

I'm done, f*ck this show and its padded out, badly animated "re-telling of BoG". I held on to some renewed hope that the later half might fix itself after pretty much loving episode six but its gone out of its way to piss me off. I don't care about the climax to this arc and I don't care about the RoF remake anymore, until U6 starts I'm done.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:57 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I'm done, f*ck this show and its padded out, badly animated "re-telling of BoG". I held on to some renewed hope that the later half might fix itself after pretty much loving episode six but its gone out of its way to piss me off. I don't care about the climax to this arc and I don't care about the RoF remake anymore, until U6 starts I'm done.
Later man, see you at universe 6

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:06 pm

After skipping trough raw recording of episode 12, I am officialy out.
I will read the topics here tough, to see if I have missed something (like dragon auras, which I'd rather miss).
It's clearly visible that this portion of series is handled by TOEI. The writing is s**t with plotholes and underused themes from BoG.
I do wonder however, how will the link to Ressurection of F look like. My main media for this arc would be BoG movie tough.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:07 pm

MCDaveG wrote:plotholes
Such as?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:17 pm

Doctor. wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:plotholes
Such as?
Mostly Pilaf, why is he a kid? Doesn't he know that the Dragon Balls scatter?
Isn't Goten's appearance a little weird to him?
Kibitoshin Kai and Old Kai have potara earrings, how?
Rumour about the show being six monts after the Buu arc, Dragon is functional tough.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:21 pm

MCDaveG wrote:Mostly Pilaf, why is he a kid? Doesn't he know that the Dragon Balls scatter?
It hasn't been explained yet but we know why he's a kid. And it could be explained later at some point.

That's nitpicking. He used the DBs once 30 years ago or something, he could have forgotten.
Isn't Goten's appearance a little weird to him?
Not at all.
Kibitoshin Kai and Old Kai have potara earrings, how?
Nothing tells us those are Potara earrings.

Even if they were, one could easily speculate that they got them from the place they got the original ones.
Rumour about the show being six monts after the Buu arc, Dragon is functional tough.
It's not 6 months after Boo. It's "some time" after 6 months post-Boo.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:23 pm

I've stopped just today after episode 12... :sick:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:27 pm

People are overreacting right now to be honest. Dragon Ball/Z also had a bunch of plotholes, slow paced episodes, stupid fillers, bad animation, and yet everyone treats them like they were perfect shows and Super is the only one with these kind of problems. That being said I don't think Super is better than Dragon ball/Z, but the series is far from over.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:11 am

MajinMan wrote:People are overreacting right now to be honest. Dragon Ball/Z also had a bunch of plotholes, slow paced episodes, stupid fillers, bad animation, and yet everyone treats them like they were perfect shows and Super is the only one with these kind of problems. That being said I don't think Super is better than Dragon ball/Z, but the series is far from over.
exactly,people just tend to nitpick every single detail of the show,i remember how bad the pacing in the early episodes of DBZ where it takes the Saiyan roughly 16 episodes to reach earth or Goku vs. Freeza fight lasting like 5 hours or something with so many talking,screaming,staring etc.. and also what i noticed is most of the people who nitpick Super so much are mosly GT fans.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:47 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I've stopped just today after episode 12... :sick:
Your loss!