MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:05 am

LostTimeLord wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I just hope Manga or TOEI or whoever don't get wind of this, I was about to tweet Manga the other day thanking them for including the score but thought better not incase :lol:
On that note, one of the Amazon reviews (and some professional ones) makes a big deal about the Yamamoto score being included, so the chances of Toei/Manga finding out are reasonably high.
Assuming they haven't somehow intentionally used it and somehow got around the licencing issues, I'm really hoping they don't get wind of it. I'm really happy to have it included, but people going out of their way to highlight it in reviews could inadvertently cause it to be taken out for Season 2. As long as we can get it until the end of Season 2, I'll be satisfied.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Actually Manga's release of the GT sets included both the Funimation logo and their own. I'm not sure about the DB and Z sets though.
Are you sure? Just had a look on Amazon and couldn't find the FUNimation logo on the GT packaging unless you mean when the disc plays? (Which would make sense since I assume Toei gave Manga FUNi's masters). Been thinking more and it makes sense because as I recall Toei were the first to confirm that the original Dragon Ball and GT was being released here, right? Apparently something happened between Manga and FUNi's relationship and titles such as Fairy Tail got cancelled here and I was worried about what that meant for Dragon Ball but then I was told not to worry becuase Manga deal directly with TOEI/Fox and then things started to make sense.

Edit-

I believe it's the same for One Piece in that Manga go directly to TOEI becuase that explains how they were able to release the movies that FUNimation haven't released yet.
Yeah I meant the logo gets shown on the discs themselves as they play.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:50 am

Any one get season 2 yet? Does it have the yamamoto score?

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:44 pm

MangaUK should probably be alerted about the score that isn't supposed to be used. I don't think it's right for a distributor to not be notified of such a legal issue.

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:08 pm

jelleline89 wrote:MangaUK should probably be alerted about the score that isn't supposed to be used. I don't think it's right for a distributor to not be notified of such a legal issue.
At the same time nobody would complain if they got to see the final volume with the Yamamoto score, because it doesn't exist.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:17 pm

NinjaGoku wrote:
jelleline89 wrote:MangaUK should probably be alerted about the score that isn't supposed to be used. I don't think it's right for a distributor to not be notified of such a legal issue.
At the same time nobody would complain if they got to see the final volume with the Yamamoto score, because it doesn't exist.
It's the fact that some users here have the mentality that keeping this legal issue from MangaUK is perfectly alright just because of what they want. That's just dickish in my opinion.

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:29 pm

jelleline89 wrote:
NinjaGoku wrote:
It's the fact that some users here have the mentality that keeping this legal issue from MangaUK is perfectly alright just because of what they want. That's just dickish in my opinion.
Do the users here disgust you because it's not as if anyone from this forum is responsible for Manga UK's incompetence.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:08 pm

NinjaGoku wrote:Do the users here disgust you because it's not as if anyone from this forum is responsible for Manga UK's incompetence.
Nope, but that doesn't give this community the right to take advantage of that incompetence. It doesn't exactly put the DBZ community in a good light when we have users saying "Please dont bring it to their attention".

The exact same thing happened when Toonami accidentally aired Episode 1 with the Yamamoto score. Despite the legal trouble Toonami could have faced, numerous members insisted on keeping this information privy in interest of the score. Luckily, people did speak up and get this fixed. And the same will happen here.

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:51 pm

jelleline89 wrote:
NinjaGoku wrote:Do the users here disgust you because it's not as if anyone from this forum is responsible for Manga UK's incompetence.
Nope, but that doesn't give this community the right to take advantage of that incompetence. It doesn't exactly put the DBZ community in a good light when we have users saying "Please dont bring it to their attention".

The exact same thing happened when Toonami accidentally aired Episode 1 with the Yamamoto score. Despite the legal trouble Toonami could have faced, numerous members insisted on keeping this information privy in interest of the score. Luckily, people did speak up and get this fixed. And the same will happen here.
Calm down, many fans just want to watch the rest of Kai the way it was originally intended. If anything you are taking advantage of what they've wanted for years, even when it most likely won't happen, yet here you are on this forum:
Last edited by NinjaGoku on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheWhiz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheWhiz » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:10 pm

Gdugz wrote:Any one get season 2 yet? Does it have the yamamoto score?
I bought Season 2 today. All of the episodes from 27 to 39 have the Yamamoto score. I'm on the third disc now which is technically Part 4 according to the DVD menu, and it's playing the Kikuchi score. Which I presume is also going to be the same case with the last disc for Season 2. Which means the Yamamoto score only lasts for 39 episodes for this release of DBZ Kai by Manga UK.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:03 pm

Yeah I've been watching Season 2 and was disappointed to see it switch to Kikuchi on disc 3. I was hoping to at least get Yamamoto to the end of the Frieza saga.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:46 am

TheWhiz wrote:
I bought Season 2 today. All of the episodes from 27 to 39 have the Yamamoto score. I'm on the third disc now which is technically Part 4 according to the DVD menu, and it's playing the Kikuchi score. Which I presume is also going to be the same case with the last disc for Season 2. Which means the Yamamoto score only lasts for 39 episodes for this release of DBZ Kai by Manga UK.
Ah thats a shame I might not pick it up as I already have seaso 2 with the kikuchi score. :(

TheWhiz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheWhiz » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:07 pm

Gdugz wrote:
TheWhiz wrote:
Ah thats a shame I might not pick it up as I already have seaso 2 with the kikuchi score. :(
Like the others I was expecting it to have the Yamamoto score for the first 4 parts and then have the Kikuchi score for the remaining parts. But that wasn't the case. Oh well, I'm still enjoying Kai even with the Kikuchi score. Only problem is, a lot of the same tracks are repeated over & over again.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:09 pm

I think the Australian complete set swaped over at the same part. Which is a shame I really like the yamamoto score, but oh well the kikuchi score is still fantastic.